Old 05-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #11

When we were in Yellowstone I brought a 600 watt generator and a small Schumacher battery charger. I connected the charger to the battery and plugged the charger to the generator. Worked great.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgky View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info. I never thought about the noise level. I may look into the Champion 2000i

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Yep at 91db, the Rangers will hear it in the next campground!
I've never heard of any small generator THAT loud.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep at 91db, the Rangers will hear it in the next campground!
I've never heard of any small generator THAT loud.
It is a 2 cycle generator, that could be why it is 91 db .
Old 05-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
TGR

Recharging a battery takes time but frugal power usage and 2-3 hours of recharge time per day will keep things running. I wasn’t able to find any manufacturer’s data on charge times for the WFCO converters but Progressive Dynamics has a couple of FAQs on this issue. According to PD:

11. How long will it take to re-charge my RV battery?
Battery recharge time is controlled by many factors, such as battery size, converter output rating the number of 12-volt lights and appliances that are “ON” during the re-charge cycle and how far the battery has been discharged. In our testing a 125-AH (Amp Hour) battery was fully discharged to 10.5-volts and then connected to a PD9160 (60-Amp) Converter/Charger set to our standard output voltage of 13.6-volts. The battery reached full charge in 70-hours.

12. I dry camp most of the time and want to recharge my RV batteries using my generator the next day. Is there any way I can get a faster recharge rate?
Yes, all 9100 Series Converter/Chargers are equipped with our TCMS (Total Charge Management System) Connector to allow you to easily install our Charge Wizard. All 9200 Series Converter/Chargers are equipped with the TCMS / Charge Wizard built in. The Charge Wizard senses that your batteries are low and that you want to charge them fast therefore, it automatically increases the output voltage of the Converter/Charger to 14.4-volts and will return a 125-AH battery to 90% of full charge in 2-3 hours. Full charge is achieved in approximately 15 hours.

A small generator powering your converter will overload if the batteries are too depleted. You could pair a small generator with an external battery charger that had a limited charging capacity. However, that will greatly extend your required charge time.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #15

Northern Tool has a 2000W Powerhorse generator for under $600. It is quiet like a Honda and weighs just 45 pounds. I have one. To charge your battery with it use a battery charger plugged directly into the generator to the battery. It will charge much faster than going through the trailer.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgky View Post
We will be camping in Yellow Stone this summer for a week in a campground with no hook ups. I'm looking at a small Storm Cat generator at Harbor Freight that has a 800 watt out put. Can anyone tell me if this will charge my two size 24 batteries. I don't need it to do anything else. I like the size of it and the weight. Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
Yikes. We used to have one of those. They are very loud, very weak and no support is available. We gave ours away and bought a Yamaha 2000is.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.

2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #17

" To charge your battery with it use a battery charger plugged directly into the generator to the battery. It will charge much faster than going through the trailer."

Why would that be the case? Just curious...

Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #18
Site Team

The best method of charging the battery with a generator is to connect the TT to the generator and allow the converter to charge the battery.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coolyard View Post
" To charge your battery with it use a battery charger plugged directly into the generator to the battery. It will charge much faster than going through the trailer."

Why would that be the case? Just curious...

That is not totally accurate.

If you have a 3 stage 55 amp converter and a 3 stage 55 amp charger then that statement would maybe be accurate (charger would be a bit faster). The reason being that the converter would have a small 1-2 amp extra draw (CO detector/propane detector etc) beside charging the battery.

If you have a 3 stage 55 amp converter and a 3 stage 15 amp charger then the converter will charge the battery much quicker.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #20
Site Team

Plug a regular 12v battery charger into the gen and it'll charge it faster. A 15amp will work.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, battery