Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Small help for new guy

Hi Folks:

Just picked up my 23ss 3 weeks ago and went direct to Idaho for 2 weeks. Probably should have stayed closer to home base (Colorado) on the first trip, but live and learn.

2 Questions.

1. I learned that finding sites in advance for Gray and Black water dumping would be quite helpful when planning the trip. Is there a book or site or tool that could help me with this when planning trips?

2. Installed an E2 Hitch and sway bar and was w/o incident the entire trip (drove 55 with my Tahoe) until my last day when I was pulling the camper to the storage. I was driving 65 (too comfortable I guess) and I made what I felt was a slight but quick steering correction - the truck and camper started moving in opposite directions which was quite scary for about 10 - 15 seconds.

Anyway, I stayed on the gas although at a lower speed and I kept the wheel very straight and I touched the camper brake system at my knee and ultimately things got back in line.

I have already asked my service manager at my dealer as to whether potential hitch/sway bar corrections are necessary, but I would be interested to know if there are specific driving techniques which must be followed when that happens or any other helpful thoughts?

Many Thanks Todd
Todd M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Todd,

1. Sanidumps.com: RV Dumps, Sani Stations, Dump Points Comprehensive Directory There are also apps you can get.

2. That was the start of swaying, which is an uncontrollable occilation and very dangerous. You did right to look at your WDH setup and I suggest that you open the manual and make sure its set up correctly. Some dealers know what they are doing and some don't so it is important to check it yourself. Also, they probably set it up for an empty trailer and vehicle and you probably need to adjust for a fully loaded trailer and vehicle.

If it happens again, keep your truck speed up (as you had done) and lightly use the brake controller to slow down the trailer and hopefully cause everything to straighten out.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Resident Masshole

Congrats on your Roo. I use the Sanidumps app on my Android phone. Cost a few $ but I think it's worth it.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Site Team

IMHO, you should have got the 4-point Equalizer, not the E-2.

i have one for my 23SS and my Avalanche has a longer wheelbase than your Tahoe and it works great.
have driven the Sierras, Cascades, Siskiyous and Rockies with it and never had an experience like yours.
even in a snow/ice storm in Wyoming, in November.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #5

Thx sir I have read many of your comments on here prior to buying and you always seem quite knowledgable on this stuff. I wanted the 4 point, but my dealer is a super guy and had always steered me right and he said "Todd if I thought you needed this I would tell you to buy it, but I don't want you to waste your money over engineering your package".

To me this is a family safety issue so if the 4 point will help these potential incidents I need to upgrade!!!

Thx again!
Todd M is offline   Reply With Quote