Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #1

Snapit Thermistor

Been a while since I've posted on here. we are getting ready to take a 3 month trip from Washington state to Florida and places in between.

We've gotten the trailer, pickup, and hitch all fixed since the 5th wheel came out of the Pullrite hitch twice. The new hitch head works great.

Our Dometic refrigerator runs on propane or 120VAC and never has cooled in either mode, quickly. It would take four days on electric and 36 hours to cool to 40 degrees on propane.

Last year I bought one of the Snapit adjustable thermistors and just installed it today. The reason being, is that the one year warranty ends in a couple of weeks. It was very easy to replace, about 15 minutes taking my time. In 4 hours, the refrigerator cooled down to 29.8 degrees. I adjusted the pot on the thermistor and will check it in the morning.

I never could get a solid answer from the dealer, regarding the factory thermistor that slides up and down, except when I found the sweet spot, to use a dab of clear silicone to fix it in place.

Has anyone else used the Snapit thermistor, good or bad?

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #2

I would help the cooling if you add a fan to move the air around. There are a number of varieties of fans that can be used, this is just one style.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44123-F.../dp/B0006IX7TW
I have one that works from "D" batteries for up to a month.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

The problem I was having was it not cooling, period. Have a nice little battery powered fan in it. The refrigerator would take 4 days to get cold, empty and using propane.

It's been stabilized at 34 degrees for more than 12 hours. I believe it will go to 36 when I put items in it and will put a few non-food items in it for 24 hours.

I am very pleased with the Snapit adjustable thermistor and have saved the original if needed.

Pasco, Washington
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford View Post
The problem I was having was it not cooling, period. Have a nice little battery powered fan in it. The refrigerator would take 4 days to get cold, empty and using propane.

It's been stabilized at 34 degrees for more than 12 hours. I believe it will go to 36 when I put items in it and will put a few non-food items in it for 24 hours.

I am very pleased with the Snapit adjustable thermistor and have saved the original if needed.

Can you post a link to what you got. I throw frozen coke bottles in mine to help speed up the cooling time but still would like a better solution
david.wilson.182940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:41 AM   #5

Sure, here's a link to it

Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit

I put a thermometer in the fridge and it has been holding a steady 34 degrees without the battery powered fan in it. It only took approximately 4 hours to cool it and had to adjust it twice to get it to 34 degrees empty and 36 degrees moderately stocked.

Pasco, Washington
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford View Post
Sure, here's a link to it

Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit

I put a thermometer in the fridge and it has been holding a steady 34 degrees without the battery powered fan in it. It only took approximately 4 hours to cool it and had to adjust it twice to get it to 34 degrees empty and 36 degrees moderately stocked.
What is the "Freezer Temp? Youroo!!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
What is the "Freezer Temp? Youroo!!
Fridge is staying at 34 to 36 degrees and the freezer is at -0.8 degrees.

I am going to put a different battery powered fan in it. The top part of the fridge is 34 and the bottom is 36.

I'm running it on 120VAC, which has given us the most problems for cooling. When running it on propane, it takes 24 to 28 hours to cool before we can add items to it. This configuration is doing great, I am pleased.

I liked the fridge we had in our Jayco motorhome much better, not impressed with the Dometic, think it's cheap, especially with the sliding thermistor to adjust the temperature.

Pasco, Washington
Old 03-31-2017, 06:19 AM   #8

The are Lots of Members who Have/Had the issue you have! When you have a Refer in a Slide it's a Whole Different Game! Mounting 2 Fans on the Back side to Help draft the Hot air out the Upper side vent,1 pushing,1 pulling! Then place a 12V fan inside the Refer that blows on the Fins! Total of 3 Fans needed BUT the Refer will NOW cool quickly and keep Ice Cream Hard! Lots of Posts on this subject on this Forum! Youroo!!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #9

I have been looking at this Doo-Hickey for the last couple of weeks. Do you have the dial set to max cold or still have room to dial it down lower?

I keep hearing of using a fan or two on the frig vent to feed and or exhaust the air from behind the unit. Anyone have a good photo and or write up of doing so?

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #10

This should also work with the Norcold refrigerator, which have the thermistor slide on the fins. I'll need to try it. That slide can be a real pain in the you know where.

For jonrjen check out the following link for ideas. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...its-48909.html
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

youroo, for the past year, I have read numerous threads on adding fans to the Dometic fridge. It was something I did not care to do at the time, since the 5'er was under warranty. The warranty expires in a couple of weeks and it's spent enough time at the dealer for warranty work.

The Snapit thermistor has been an easy fix and used with the Fridge Airator fan, it works great. We are going to keep the 5'er for a year or two more and then sell it, as we'll be done with what we want to do.

I'm thinking that we should just buy another one, but around 20 to 24 feet. We'll see how things are going at that time.

Pasco, Washington
Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
I have been looking at this Doo-Hickey for the last couple of weeks. Do you have the dial set to max cold or still have room to dial it down lower?

I keep hearing of using a fan or two on the frig vent to feed and or exhaust the air from behind the unit. Anyone have a good photo and or write up of doing so?
There is a lot of dial left, it doesn't take much of a tweak to adjust it. Maybe 1/64th of an inch or less. Let it cool for 24 hours before adjusting. The 2nd time was 4 hours later, then the final time was yesterday and it's holding steady.

It comes preset, don't turn it like I did checking it out. I did remember where it was preset at and have only adjusted it 3 times since the day I first started this thread.

When it comes to installing the fans, wrong person to ask. I just read a lot of threads and comments, then changed it and by trial and error on setting it.

Pasco, Washington
Old 03-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
exposurecontrol

I also replaced my sliding thermister with an adjustable (controlled by small dial) thermister. Not sure if its the same brand name..not sure how many folks make them. Also only took about 15 minutes to install. Works great. They do come preset, but I did tweak mine over a three day period. Like mentioned above, the dial is VERY sensitive. Just tweaked it a little each day until it got to where I wanted it. Now it keeps my frig at 38deg. The sliding thermister never came close. Great little device and not expensive..I think I paid around $27 for mine via internet.
exposurecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:13 PM   #14

I need to do this. My fridge gets too cold and I can't seem to get it to the proper temp.

BTW, exactly how does the original sliding thermostat work? Is it based on the warmer temps at the top of the fridge and sliding the thermostat up makes it think it is warmer and therefore it cools more?

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I need to do this. My fridge gets too cold and I can't seem to get it to the proper temp.

BTW, exactly how does the original sliding thermostat work? Is it based on the warmer temps at the top of the fridge and sliding the thermostat up makes it think it is warmer and therefore it cools more?
That's it exactly,
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote