Old 09-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #11

Thanks, that's good to know it could hold that much. I never thought of the ice.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #12

Our normal is about 120" and had it up to 190", fortunately not all at once with thaws in between (except we had no melt January on so it kept coming and coming.)
Our lake effect snow is relatively dry, accumulates fast, but much blows off the roof. Nor'easters bring the heavy wet stuff that sits.
I use a roof snow rake so I can pull snow off from the ground. Do this when the depth is about a foot or so. My RV is kept covered so I'm not worried about scratching anything and the cover helps the snow slide off. Since the RV is not heated because I don't snow camp, I don't have much of a problem with ice build-up.

2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #13

I agree with the majority here and would not worry about it. As noted I would fear ice accumulation more than the snow. As previously said, i would worry more about slipping and falling off the top and falling 10 feet than the weight of snow. If your air conditioner is covered and vents covered I would assume the designers have thought about people who buy trailers who do not live in Florida for instance. Plus if it can stand my weight when I am up there doing manintenance some evenly distributed snow should be OK.

Kevin
Old 09-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
Retired

You got to be kidding!!!! snow-it's Sept and 90degrees. Always good to be prepared.
We haven't gone through a winter with our TT yet but I asked the question at two local TT dealers...they never shovel. We had 79" last winter. But I always shoveled off our snowmobile trailer...different construction...using an 12'orchard ladder and an adjustable roof rake which will be perfect for the TT if needed. A foot of wet snow is a lot worst than 36" of powder...
We should report on our up coming winter saga..."to shovel or not to shovel" until then....
Happy Trails
MainelyUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #15

When I read this Header I thought it was about Old People! Youroo!!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #16

No, I'm not kidding. I've had snow fall here in the Sierra Nevada Mtns. mid- Sept. Yes, it's the heavy wet "Pineapple Express" stuff that has me concerned in what experts are now stating could possibly be the 2nd heaviest winter in 50 yrs. out west. I think I would rather get a ladder to stand on & sweep off roof than actually stand on it.
Ps- this snow on the roof stuff is fairly new to me as someone who spent most of my life living next to Bch. In So. Calif.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #17

I have never removed snow from a TT roof........... Just me but I think removing the snow could cause more damage than the weight of the snow ever would.

I had a guy I worked with years ago try to remove ice from a car...... he dented the car like heavy hail even on the sides.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #18

No snow on the RV roof! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter13 022.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	88547   Click image for larger version

Name:	winter13 026.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	88548  
Old 09-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
You got to be kidding!!!! snow-it's Sept and 90degrees. Always good to be prepared.
We haven't gone through a winter with our TT yet but I asked the question at two local TT dealers...they never shovel. We had 79" last winter. But I always shoveled off our snowmobile trailer...different construction...using an 12'orchard ladder and an adjustable roof rake which will be perfect for the TT if needed. A foot of wet snow is a lot worst than 36" of powder...
We should report on our up coming winter saga..."to shovel or not to shovel" until then....
Happy Trails
Not kidding here either, today it is 12C, freezing rain and wind. They are calling for a long and hard winter in Ontario, snow starting next month and will stay on the ground and not thaw. Camping season in Ontario is basically May 24 long weekend to Labour day in Sep, before of after that you are wearing a parka. I sure do get jealous though when I see pictures of people camping in Nov/Dec and see palm trees in the background.

Kevin
Old 09-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #20
Retired

mtnlvr
In my opinion if you plan on clearing your TT roof off this winter I would invest in an orchard ladder...it is one of the most stable ladders you can use even when you are 8' off the ground. I washed the TT roof this summer using this ladder without any unstable conditions. If our TT roof needs clearing this winter I plan on using the orchard ladder. I will never have to be on the roof....makes my DW much happier. Great investment.

Good luck with your decision.

Until then Happy Trails

MainelyUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, snow