Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #1

Snow on roof

I was wondering how much snow; wet or dry is about the maximum weight load on a roof before it needs to be removed to avoid a potential collapse?
I have a 25' Solera w/ added solar panel & satellite dish weight.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
Just a member

If it's permissible to walk on your RV's roof, it will typically handle a healthy amount of snow. We keep it down to about a foot or less.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 PM   #3

This comes up each year. Think of all the campers on lots, even at factory and the snow that piles up on them
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

I have owned two other 5er before the new one I just purchased this year. I have never removed the snow off the roof of my other two units. I would worry more about climbing up on the roof and slipping and falling 12 to 13 feet to the ground than cleaning the roof off of snow.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

I totally agree that when your RV sat on the lot in "snow country" it accumulated a lot of snow and you shouldn't be concerned. However, I was once pulled over at a truck stop in Ohio when the weather turned bad and ended up with 6 inches of snow in the morning. Normally that wouldn't have been a problem, but in my case the slides were OUT! The slide toppers would not retract since the weight of the snow pinned them to the top of the slides. The roof was covered as well and I didn't relish going up there either.

Fortunately, an electrician was doing some work at the truck stop and $20 got his cherry picker over to my coach and I was clear in ten minutes. Next time...who knows. Does anybody have any ideas to avoid this besides retracting the slides when snow is in the forecast and you will be moving before it melts?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

Snow on roof

I've shovelled snow off my slide in the morning!!!

#realcampers

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #7

I don't know, but when I see people up here in Northern Wisconsin shoveling off the
roofs on their houses, I get a little concerned about my TT. I usually clear it off when
it gets 1 ft deep. I'm afraid the next foot might come in the next storm and 2 ft on
the roof of a TT can't be good. I typically shovel it off 2 times a year. If I fall off the roof, there is about 2 - 4ft of snow on the ground to cushion the fall.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #8

I'm not planning on covering my class A this year. Being in NE Ohio the snow load has crossed my mind. Is it possible to use gutter heat cable on the roof to keep the snow load lighter? I wouldn't attach them permanently, just for winter use. Crazy idea?
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #9

Sounds interesting. I've never heard of it but how about the heated step/stair mats on the roof? After I saw my neighbors greenhouse roof collapse under heavy wet snow, I would hate to wake up to a heavy overnight snow load...especially since they are predicting a massive El Nino winter.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

I've had 3 ft of snow on my trailer before I cleaned it off, never had a problem. I'm not sure on the Idea of heated mats or other on the roof, ice is a bigger enemy than snow. Ice can work it's way into places and damage things more than snow. Also the large amount of snow might happen once a winter most snow blows off and doesn't accumulate there.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #11

Thanks, that's good to know it could hold that much. I never thought of the ice.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #12

Our normal is about 120" and had it up to 190", fortunately not all at once with thaws in between (except we had no melt January on so it kept coming and coming.)
Our lake effect snow is relatively dry, accumulates fast, but much blows off the roof. Nor'easters bring the heavy wet stuff that sits.
I use a roof snow rake so I can pull snow off from the ground. Do this when the depth is about a foot or so. My RV is kept covered so I'm not worried about scratching anything and the cover helps the snow slide off. Since the RV is not heated because I don't snow camp, I don't have much of a problem with ice build-up.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #13

I agree with the majority here and would not worry about it. As noted I would fear ice accumulation more than the snow. As previously said, i would worry more about slipping and falling off the top and falling 10 feet than the weight of snow. If your air conditioner is covered and vents covered I would assume the designers have thought about people who buy trailers who do not live in Florida for instance. Plus if it can stand my weight when I am up there doing manintenance some evenly distributed snow should be OK.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Retired

You got to be kidding!!!! snow-it's Sept and 90degrees. Always good to be prepared.
We haven't gone through a winter with our TT yet but I asked the question at two local TT dealers...they never shovel. We had 79" last winter. But I always shoveled off our snowmobile trailer...different construction...using an 12'orchard ladder and an adjustable roof rake which will be perfect for the TT if needed. A foot of wet snow is a lot worst than 36" of powder...
We should report on our up coming winter saga..."to shovel or not to shovel" until then....
Happy Trails
Old 09-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #15

When I read this Header I thought it was about Old People! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #16

No, I'm not kidding. I've had snow fall here in the Sierra Nevada Mtns. mid- Sept. Yes, it's the heavy wet "Pineapple Express" stuff that has me concerned in what experts are now stating could possibly be the 2nd heaviest winter in 50 yrs. out west. I think I would rather get a ladder to stand on & sweep off roof than actually stand on it.
Ps- this snow on the roof stuff is fairly new to me as someone who spent most of my life living next to Bch. In So. Calif.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #17

I have never removed snow from a TT roof........... Just me but I think removing the snow could cause more damage than the weight of the snow ever would.

I had a guy I worked with years ago try to remove ice from a car...... he dented the car like heavy hail even on the sides.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #18

No snow on the RV roof! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter13 022.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	88547   Click image for larger version

Name:	winter13 026.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	88548  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
You got to be kidding!!!! snow-it's Sept and 90degrees. Always good to be prepared.
We haven't gone through a winter with our TT yet but I asked the question at two local TT dealers...they never shovel. We had 79" last winter. But I always shoveled off our snowmobile trailer...different construction...using an 12'orchard ladder and an adjustable roof rake which will be perfect for the TT if needed. A foot of wet snow is a lot worst than 36" of powder...
We should report on our up coming winter saga..."to shovel or not to shovel" until then....
Happy Trails
Not kidding here either, today it is 12C, freezing rain and wind. They are calling for a long and hard winter in Ontario, snow starting next month and will stay on the ground and not thaw. Camping season in Ontario is basically May 24 long weekend to Labour day in Sep, before of after that you are wearing a parka. I sure do get jealous though when I see pictures of people camping in Nov/Dec and see palm trees in the background.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #20
Retired

mtnlvr
In my opinion if you plan on clearing your TT roof off this winter I would invest in an orchard ladder...it is one of the most stable ladders you can use even when you are 8' off the ground. I washed the TT roof this summer using this ladder without any unstable conditions. If our TT roof needs clearing this winter I plan on using the orchard ladder. I will never have to be on the roof....makes my DW much happier. Great investment.

Good luck with your decision.

Until then Happy Trails

Tags
roo, roof, snow