Old 09-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
Snow on roof

I was wondering how much snow; wet or dry is about the maximum weight load on a roof before it needs to be removed to avoid a potential collapse?
I have a 25' Solera w/ added solar panel & satellite dish weight.

mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
Just a member
If it's permissible to walk on your RV's roof, it will typically handle a healthy amount of snow. We keep it down to about a foot or less.

Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
This comes up each year. Think of all the campers on lots, even at factory and the snow that piles up on them
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
I have owned two other 5er before the new one I just purchased this year. I have never removed the snow off the roof of my other two units. I would worry more about climbing up on the roof and slipping and falling 12 to 13 feet to the ground than cleaning the roof off of snow.
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
I totally agree that when your RV sat on the lot in "snow country" it accumulated a lot of snow and you shouldn't be concerned. However, I was once pulled over at a truck stop in Ohio when the weather turned bad and ended up with 6 inches of snow in the morning. Normally that wouldn't have been a problem, but in my case the slides were OUT! The slide toppers would not retract since the weight of the snow pinned them to the top of the slides. The roof was covered as well and I didn't relish going up there either.

Fortunately, an electrician was doing some work at the truck stop and $20 got his cherry picker over to my coach and I was clear in ten minutes. Next time...who knows. Does anybody have any ideas to avoid this besides retracting the slides when snow is in the forecast and you will be moving before it melts?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Snow on roof

I've shovelled snow off my slide in the morning!!!

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
I don't know, but when I see people up here in Northern Wisconsin shoveling off the
roofs on their houses, I get a little concerned about my TT. I usually clear it off when
it gets 1 ft deep. I'm afraid the next foot might come in the next storm and 2 ft on
the roof of a TT can't be good. I typically shovel it off 2 times a year. If I fall off the roof, there is about 2 - 4ft of snow on the ground to cushion the fall.
Flagstaff 26ft TT
2013 Ecoboost F-150
breul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
I'm not planning on covering my class A this year. Being in NE Ohio the snow load has crossed my mind. Is it possible to use gutter heat cable on the roof to keep the snow load lighter? I wouldn't attach them permanently, just for winter use. Crazy idea?
Schwartzworld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Sounds interesting. I've never heard of it but how about the heated step/stair mats on the roof? After I saw my neighbors greenhouse roof collapse under heavy wet snow, I would hate to wake up to a heavy overnight snow load...especially since they are predicting a massive El Nino winter.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
I've had 3 ft of snow on my trailer before I cleaned it off, never had a problem. I'm not sure on the Idea of heated mats or other on the roof, ice is a bigger enemy than snow. Ice can work it's way into places and damage things more than snow. Also the large amount of snow might happen once a winter most snow blows off and doesn't accumulate there.

Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote

roo, roof, snow