Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #1

So glad that nobody was hurt

Was reading over the newspapers that I glance at and found this article. Sure glad to read that nobody was hurt. All made it out unharmed. Here is the article that ran in this weeks newspaper.

Motor home fire creates traffic problems

BY WAYNE QUESENBERRY/Staff

A motor home fire on Interstate 77 at mile marker 47, near the Wythe-Bland line, created a major traffic backup Saturday. Both northbound lanes were closed for more than two hours as the vehicle’s 300 gallons of diesel fuel and 200 gallons of propane burned.
“We used 25,000 gallons of water,” noted Ronnie King, chief of the Wytheville Fire Department. “We had to just let it burn because the fire burned off the motor home’s cutoff valves.”
Firefighters from the Bland Volunteer Fire Department assisted. Crews from the Wythe County Rescue Squad and the Bland County Rescue Squad also responded although no injuries were reported and the motor home’s four occupants escaping unharmed.
According to King, the 2000 36-foot Safari motor home was traveling northbound on the interstate around 11:40 a.m. Saturday. As the vehicle began its steep climb near the 47 mile marker, a rear turbo charger apparently quit.
Nickolas Moore of New Cumberland, W.Va., pulled his motor home off the road when he saw black smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle, King said. He tried unsuccessfully to use a fire extinguisher on the blaze, the fire chief reported.
“He had just filled up at the TA and there was a lot of diesel fuel,” King pointed out. “There were two 100-gallon propane tanks in the motor home, too.”
He noted Wytheville firefighters had difficulty reaching the scene because traffic already was backed up along the interstate. Using the side emergency lane proved a problem, too, King stated, because of passing tractor-trailer rigs.
Once at the scene, firefighters contained the blaze to the motor home. They remained for two hours.
In the meantime, traffic backed up more than 20 miles on I-77 and I-81. The interstates’ overlap in Wythe County was especially congested.
According to King, the axles on the motor home had to be replaced after the fire before the vehicle could be moved. The motor home was moved around 7 p.m.
The vehicle and its contents were destroyed by the fire. The motor home was valued at $30,000.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Team

A diesel motorhome with tanks that large is only valued
at $30,000????
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
A diesel motorhome with tanks that large is only valued
at $30,000????
Probably should have been $300,000.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

A 36' motor home with 300 gallons of diesel and 200 gallons of propane???? I don't think so. That sounds more like a tanker. There is no reason for anyone to have that much propane on board and that much diesel.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Site Team

Yeah, today it seems TV, newspaper reporters only want to get
the story. Facts and accuracy are irrelevant. Just show the fire.
Don't worry about the details......
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Yeah, today it seems TV, newspaper reporters only want to get
the story. Facts and accuracy are irrelevant. Just show the fire.
Don't worry about the details......

Yep. Don't let minor details like facts get in the way of a good sensational story.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Yep. Don't let minor details like facts get in the way of a good sensational story.
Sounds a lot like American politics, if the Media wants you in they forget about all the bad stuff someone has done, but if they don't want you in they twist things to make the candidate sound like the worst person on earth.

Just wish they all would get away from the over-sensationalism but that sells papers or captivates an audience.

I miss Joe Friday "Just the Facts Mam"

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #8

Example: The FR Berkshire propane tank is only 24.5 gals. Diesel fuel capacity is 100 gals.

Unless it was a Prevost, I doubt it had anything over 150 gals of fuel and 40 gals of propane
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

"Safari not so goody"

The facts may be incorrect but the most important thing was No One was Hurt. That's a very scary picture. I'm not a fire-fighter, my son-in-law is, I'd be worried that bad boy would exploded.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Knower of Some Things

It is indeed good that nobody was hurt.
That being said, Safari is not known to make a superb product. They look nice, the wiring detail is amazing, but the construction just isn't there. $30,000 was probably about right. Next, it was probably two 100# cylinders, not 100 gallon. Big difference. The fuel capacity was exagerated also. I can definitely see 25000 gallons to put it out, easily. Replacing the axles to move it? Why? It wasn't anything but a frame & rims by the time it was all done. Guaranteed anything not made of steel or iron is now a part of earth's atmosphere or landscape. They could have just dragged it on to the flatbed. Probably didn't weigh more than a ton or two by the time it was all said & done.
Sometimes, after a rough vacation (rain, cold, whatever), I come home & YouTube "Burning RV" to make myself feel a little better. Check it out - some of those fires are pretty intense.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #11

YIKES...and praise the Lord for watching over the owners and anyone near it!
2005 Rockwood Premier 1904 SOLD
2001 Keystone Cabana 17 ft hybred SOLD
2000 Trail-lite Bantam 21 ft hybred INS LOSS
crazyv is offline   Reply With Quote