Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

So It Has Happened!!!

6 weeks ago we bought a new 2016 Cherokee Grey Wolf 27RR toy hauler and love it! We have had it out twice now and have 4 more trips planned this year. Now we want more!

We financed it and 'think' we are in it OK, but fairly certain a dealer is not going to allow us anywhere near what NADA book is. Long story short, I would need to get close to NADA book low retail $ out of it to make the jump to a Puma Unleashed 351THSS and still maintain our budget.

On one hand I am pretty certain we need to stick with what we have for a year or two and then take the plunge, but we live in America and I want the Puma now! LOL

What do dealers allow for trade in? Do they use NADA for a guideline? Do they figure NADA minus a percentage?

2nd off, a local dealer has EXACTLY what I want. They are asking 5000.00 more for it than what I would pay if I ordered one from RVWholesale.com or ordered one from Big Daddy's RVs in London KY (which is a easy drive for me). Is a local dealer even capable of matching the price of one of these large wholesale dealers?

I apologize for all the questions and long post and thank you in advance for any input you might have!
Gil
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

You said it all.

This is America. If you want it, you deserve it.

The dealer will be able to get you into the unit you dream of. You just tell him what you want and he can make it happen.

Just tell him you do not care what he has to do, just tell me where to sign.

Remember. Getting money is America is very easy. This is the land of dreams.

Go big or go home.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You will have a better chance of getting close to nada value by selling it yourself on craigslist. No dealer will ever come close to nada value. Selling it 6 weeks in you will be upside down. It is up to to decide whether or not you can take that hit. Good luck in whatever you do.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Site Team

The other question you need to ask yourself is how many weeks will you have the puma before you decide to trade up again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The other question you need to ask yourself is how many weeks will you have the puma before you decide to trade up again.
The Puma will have our toy hauler budget maxed out. LOL Yes, there are some really nice 5Ws I would love to have, but can't justify that kind of money.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #6

It's been my experience that dealers in my area will offer full retail for your RV on trade but then they won't budget on the price of the unit you want to buy.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #7

I am on my 3rd camper in 3 years. I traded my first 2 campers for more money than I would have expected. Both of the dealers I used are small, independent dealers. As they say, you never know until you ask. It never hurts to go in and see what kind of deal they can/will do.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
Site Team

We only had our first trailer 5 months. We decided that table/bed thing
wasn't going to work for us
We traded it back to the dealer who sold it to us and got a decent deal.
It was better for us to have the one we wanted than to hold onto one we
weren't happy with.

As mentioned-- you never know until you ask. If your rig looks pristine go
for it. Waiting until the end of the season is bad move as folks are not
shopping then and the dealer knows this.

Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #9

Not sure if it was just coincidence, but I found better trade offers from dealers that didn’t sell what I was trading. I also found the deals of existing inventory from the lots to be better in late fall, when sales really slow. That being said, most dealers are selling them as quick as they get them in…sellers’ market". Selection by late fall might be an issue unless you are willing to travel…I found little benefit in buying from a local dealer. There are warranty factory authorized independent repair shops that make their living on repairs only that have proven to be a better faster option than the local sales only oriented dealers.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

when i traded the dealer open up the NADA book showed me what it said and said thats what he would give me for my trade in no more no less he went by the book

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
It's been my experience that dealers in my area will offer full retail for your RV on trade but then they won't budget on the price of the unit you want to buy.
To your point Bob. It's a shell game. It doesn't matter how the dealer arrives at their number.

The important thing is "what's the bottom out-the-door number" and is it reasonable - all things considered.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

We did this same thing a couple years ago and have not regretted it , if we would have kept the other one it probably would not have have got used much

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We only had our first trailer 5 months. We decided that table/bed thing
wasn't going to work for us
We traded it back to the dealer who sold it to us and got a decent deal.
It was better for us to have the one we wanted than to hold onto one we
weren't happy with.

As mentioned-- you never know until you ask. If your rig looks pristine go
for it. Waiting until the end of the season is bad move as folks are not
shopping then and the dealer knows this.

Good luck!

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to redjet
we traded a 2014 Rockwood 8310SS for a 2016 Cardinal and they gave us exactly what the NADA book allowed for trade. Now that's what the trailer itself was worth but we had many options that we got ZERO for. Basically, they price just the trailer w/o any extras. This is true no matter where you plan to trade.

You will only get your $$ back if you have the time to sell it yourself.
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #14

It's really no different than buying a new car. As others have pointed out, the dealer is going to talk a net difference between what you have and what you want. If you want NADA retail for your trade, then expect that you'll pay retail for the new one.

You might want to consider trying to sell it yourself for a few weeks and see if you have any luck there which will probably provide your lowest net difference since you're negotiating an outright deal for the new one. If you don't have any luck selling it yourself, you can always go the dealer trade-in route.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #15

Thank you for all the replies!!! I have been in the car business for 25 years working in new car dealerships and so far the only similarity I have found between a RV dealer and a new car dealership is NOTHING!!! I know they operate on the same premise, buy low / sell high, but you can call or pull up at a dealership and in 1 hour drive off in a new car. You go to a RV dealer and they are in no hurry to do anything other than get a deposit and firm commitment from the buyer. After that, well, you now operate on their schedule and not yours! LOL

I learned my lesson about the time thing the first time. This go around I will not commit to jack shi* until we are ready to take delivery. LOL I know the entire process can be done in a couple hours if they get motivated to make it happen.

I have talked extensively to the two major players in the wholesale sales side and now we will go to local dealer Saturday that has EXACTLY what I want in inventory to see how motivated they are.

As you can imagine, the 27RR still smells new and does not have a mark on it anywhere and several improvements done that would appeal to anyone in the market. We shall see.

Again, thank you all for your input!
Gil
Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #16

And I still keep reminding myself that the 27RR is a great unit that was VERY affordable and we really do love it, but would love it more if there were more to love. I hope that makes some sort of sense. LOL Long story short, if things don't work out, we still own a brand new 27RR that is great for it's size. It still blows me away that I was so dam nervous about towing something 33'4" long and 8k in weight and then I learn my truck doesn't know its there. I guess I am blessed to have a truck that is so capable.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
You said it all.

This is America. If you want it, you deserve it.

The dealer will be able to get you into the unit you dream of. You just tell him what you want and he can make it happen.

Just tell him you do not care what he has to do, just tell me where to sign.

Remember. Getting money is America is very easy. This is the land of dreams.

Go big or go home.

Vin.
Vin, you just about covered it!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 AM   #18

I traded in our Wildcat MAXX 29RG for a MAXX 28RKX after 1 year to the same dealer I bought it from. I can say that the 28RKX was significantly reduced in price plus I jumped from a 2014 to a 2016. My trade was about 2K less than I expected, however, it's the difference that you pay when trading, not just the trade in value that counts. The moral of the story is----- how big is the check you have to write to drive away with the Puma and which dealer will make that check SMALLER? Good luck!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #19

We went from a Pop-up to a bigger Pop- up to a Hybrid to a 42 foot toy hauler with 5 queen beds bed. We love the toy hauler for all the room but it is so big and hard to back my wife does not like using it b/c of the trouble getting it back in our drive. We have to block traffic on a busy highway and it unnerves her. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get it in position in a very tight space.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
when i traded the dealer open up the NADA book showed me what it said and said thats what he would give me for my trade in no more no less he went by the book
That's what we found as well. We told them we wanted to keep our newly installed Big Foot levelers and they said that's fine after they gave us the price. We had also just installed a neat washer and dryer fixed steep steps into the bedroom. It was a toyhauler and in better condition than when we bought it. Every dealer we talked to pretty much did the same thing. I guess if it's not a junk heap then you get NADA value and not a dime more. But we did find out unit we wanted to trade in for 10,000 cheaper so that's the dealer we went with
justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote