Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
So It Has Happened!!!

6 weeks ago we bought a new 2016 Cherokee Grey Wolf 27RR toy hauler and love it! We have had it out twice now and have 4 more trips planned this year. Now we want more!

We financed it and 'think' we are in it OK, but fairly certain a dealer is not going to allow us anywhere near what NADA book is. Long story short, I would need to get close to NADA book low retail $ out of it to make the jump to a Puma Unleashed 351THSS and still maintain our budget.

On one hand I am pretty certain we need to stick with what we have for a year or two and then take the plunge, but we live in America and I want the Puma now! LOL

What do dealers allow for trade in? Do they use NADA for a guideline? Do they figure NADA minus a percentage?

2nd off, a local dealer has EXACTLY what I want. They are asking 5000.00 more for it than what I would pay if I ordered one from or ordered one from Big Daddy's RVs in London KY (which is a easy drive for me). Is a local dealer even capable of matching the price of one of these large wholesale dealers?

I apologize for all the questions and long post and thank you in advance for any input you might have!

gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
You said it all.

This is America. If you want it, you deserve it.

The dealer will be able to get you into the unit you dream of. You just tell him what you want and he can make it happen.

Just tell him you do not care what he has to do, just tell me where to sign.

Remember. Getting money is America is very easy. This is the land of dreams.

Go big or go home.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Site Team
You will have a better chance of getting close to nada value by selling it yourself on craigslist. No dealer will ever come close to nada value. Selling it 6 weeks in you will be upside down. It is up to to decide whether or not you can take that hit. Good luck in whatever you do.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Site Team
The other question you need to ask yourself is how many weeks will you have the puma before you decide to trade up again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The other question you need to ask yourself is how many weeks will you have the puma before you decide to trade up again.
The Puma will have our toy hauler budget maxed out. LOL Yes, there are some really nice 5Ws I would love to have, but can't justify that kind of money.
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #6
It's been my experience that dealers in my area will offer full retail for your RV on trade but then they won't budget on the price of the unit you want to buy.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
I am on my 3rd camper in 3 years. I traded my first 2 campers for more money than I would have expected. Both of the dealers I used are small, independent dealers. As they say, you never know until you ask. It never hurts to go in and see what kind of deal they can/will do.
2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
Site Team
We only had our first trailer 5 months. We decided that table/bed thing
wasn't going to work for us
We traded it back to the dealer who sold it to us and got a decent deal.
It was better for us to have the one we wanted than to hold onto one we
weren't happy with.

As mentioned-- you never know until you ask. If your rig looks pristine go
for it. Waiting until the end of the season is bad move as folks are not
shopping then and the dealer knows this.

Good luck!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #9
Not sure if it was just coincidence, but I found better trade offers from dealers that didn’t sell what I was trading. I also found the deals of existing inventory from the lots to be better in late fall, when sales really slow. That being said, most dealers are selling them as quick as they get them in…sellers’ market". Selection by late fall might be an issue unless you are willing to travel…I found little benefit in buying from a local dealer. There are warranty factory authorized independent repair shops that make their living on repairs only that have proven to be a better faster option than the local sales only oriented dealers.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
when i traded the dealer open up the NADA book showed me what it said and said thats what he would give me for my trade in no more no less he went by the book

2012 wildcat sterling 32RL
2013 3500HD DRW Silverado Duramax
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote