Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
Bubblehead Elite Rank

So...Warranty work...Dealers all play a game?

Short Comment then my question/observation.
First, I had been to a few dealers who have lots in several states (Camping World, Campers Inn...etc). Found most of them snotty...CI guy said they won't stock any TT under about $11k...nobody wants them (uh..I do!). Their ultra and mini lites were WAY over national rate. That was even with the local CW giving me 'family' pricing since his dad's company is one of my vendors.

Went to smaller dealer (Country Camping Corner) who only have 2 locations. Treated me very well...explained all the options and eventually got me a flipping incredible deal on a NOS 2015 Clipper 15FL. Can't recommend Brett (sales) and Vi (the lady who owns it) enough...really good service.

ALL the dealers talk about how "...if it wasn't purchased from us, we won't do warranty work.." CW and CI are, again, kind of snotty about it. CCC said "no...we'll do the work but if it wasn't from our dealership you have to pay and file with manufacturer..". Brett could tell I was giving him the 'stink eye'. So he explained that the manufacturer had told them that was what they should do for several reasons.
1. Warranty work takes up a lot of time in the shop areas, warranty work has to use OEM parts (which I would prefer) but they have to be ordered/charged to factory. The factory can take up to 120 days to reimburse the dealer for time and materials. That kills small guys.
2. Warranty "jumpers". These are RV owners who go from dealer to dealer because they didn't like the other guy. Or they still have a squeak that the other dealer can't hear. Or, and this is my favorite, they need to stash the trailer for a bit...why not at a dealer with a locked and insured lot? Brett said they had sat on a guys big FR for almost a month because he kept finding stuff, then later bragged he'd saved a month of storage fees (to a mutual friend..oops).
3. Yeah...it's a bone to beat customers with..."buy it from me, or I won't fix it"

The thing I took away is my salesman was pretty straight up and said the owner wouldn't play much of the game. She treated any owner with the line she carried very well...rarely refusing work.

Anyone?

Jay
2015 Clipper 15FL
JayNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

There are many threads about this subject. Bottom line if you didn't buy from them they don't have to do warranty work it not like a car.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

There was a post about how Forest River has changed their way of dealers getting parts, they no longer have to get them from the factory they can go direct to the suppliers, he might not know this info yet, As far as paying up front I can see why some dealers prefer this way
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Bubblehead Elite Rank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
There are many threads about this subject. Bottom line if you didn't buy from them they don't have to do warranty work it not like a car.
Impression I got....luckily my LCS is much cooler than the big boys...

HEY SHIPMATE!!
RM1(SS) Cryptographics repair
SSN-709
SSN-707
AS-36
CRAT-T Bahrain
Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Bubblehead Elite Rank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
There was a post about how Forest River has changed their way of dealers getting parts, they no longer have to get them from the factory they can go direct to the suppliers, he might not know this info yet, As far as paying up front I can see why some dealers prefer this way
Depends on how quick they are on payables too....Heck, we cut Coca Cola off (Charlotte) because they were at 190 days. When my collections girl called they said "We're Coke...what are you gonna do?"
Cut them off and put them on COD...I do NOT need that kind of business.

Cheers
Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #6

The RV industry may be somewhat strong now but eventually it will cool down and dealers will have to suck it up and stop playing games.

I bought my first one used and did all the work myself, quality and did it right. Traded that one for a brand new one only to find no one wanted to do warranty work except local CW, they did a great job and kept me informed. That being said I bought my current trailer from same dealer who sold me new, it is a 2023 clean and in working order, prefer used because the MFG does nothing for overpriced units.

Ran into someone who spent $230K on a Class A, they got the same service and same 12 month warranty as I did on my only New trailer.

Thing that kolas me is if you spend $15K to $400K you get the same crap, MFG's and dealers need to really stand behind their products better.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

I did not buy from my local dealer yet they did a lot of warranty work just fine, no problems.

Most don't, some do. Luck of the geographical draw.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

I bought mine from Family RV. They have 2 locations about 20 miles apart and I'm able to take it to either of them for warranty work. Only trouble I have is they put warranty work off for several months. If I call and say it's for warranty work, they give me a date about 2 months out. If I call and don't mention warranty, it's usually a couple weeks. I've purchased 2 different trailers from them.

Andrew.
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #9

When I bought our new RV out of state I found a few things that I took care of. 6 months out one of the slides quit working. Local FR dealer told me sure they would take care of it and to drop it on the back lot. Said it would be a month out before it would be looked at. I didn't buy and pay for the RV for it to set on the dealers back lot. I pulled it home and figured out what was wrong with it, one of the gear packs had a couple of broken teeth. Called FR, was told to take pictures, count the teeth on the gear and send pictures and info to FR. I removed the gear pack and did as instructed. Four days later UPS delivered a new gear pack and by that weekend I was back on the road. One other time I needed an item with the same results. Happy with FR but my local Fun Time dealer won't see me for anything. If they were the lowest price on a unit I might be interested in I would still bypass them.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #10

Congratulations on your acquisition. Enjoy! The sad truth is that most dealers are virtually worthless after the sale. Familiarize yourself with your rig. Learn to do regular inspections and maintenance. Cultivate relationships with local RV techs. Happy camping.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #11
Comox Valley RV

From a dealer perspective:

We have a busy service department. It is a part of the dealership that needs to be profitable (otherwise why have it in a business). Manufacturers pay very little in labour time for every repair. Dealers actually lose money on most warranty repairs which is why they don't want to do any warranty work. When you buy from the dealer doing the warranty repair, it hurts less, but it still hurts. However, there is a good chance that the dealer will keep the customer and the customer will make their next purchase with them having received excellent service. The drive by warranty customer is a no-win for the dealers. The dealer made nothing up front, are going to lose money on the repair and have no chance of that customer coming back to buy their next one.

No games, just finances.
Canuckshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckshaw View Post
From a dealer perspective:

We have a busy service department. It is a part of the dealership that needs to be profitable (otherwise why have it in a business). Manufacturers pay very little in labour time for every repair. Dealers actually lose money on most warranty repairs which is why they don't want to do any warranty work. When you buy from the dealer doing the warranty repair, it hurts less, but it still hurts. However, there is a good chance that the dealer will keep the customer and the customer will make their next purchase with them having received excellent service. The drive by warranty customer is a no-win for the dealers. The dealer made nothing up front, are going to lose money on the repair and have no chance of that customer coming back to buy their next one.

No games, just finances.
And that is why I do my damnedest to write every organization I belong to both military and professional law enforcement when a dealer denies me warranty work. I will work to destroy their reputation online and in person for failing to live up to an obligation they have as a dealer. I live in mine and travel and love life. I have had good luck with the exception of 2 dealers who are now famous near two military bases and one may be put off limits from the base commander for ****** treatment of soldier. In the LEO world I know of one who has lost all business from police and retired police and federal agents. People need to use Yelp, Google reviews and the old pen & sword. The dealers will learn. If they are losing money then the dealer needs to approach their licensee and say hey this is not working. That is not the consumers fault IMHO. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. When a dealers name is golden for helping consumers that is who will get the non-warranty work from travelers bringing back that $$
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #13

I for one have been on both sides of it. Bought out of town to save a few thousand and told to take a hike when I went local for service.

Last two I spent the little extra, bought local and appriciate that it does not take a week to get my camper fixed. Think this is largely in part too them only servicing what they sell.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #14

Until the overall quality of build improves from the dismal state it's at presently, threads like this will continue as well.... Has to go from a sellers market to a buyers market for that to happen however,
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #15

Warranty Work??

When it comes to warranty work my dealer is useless (Baltimore,MD) so this crap about not working on a rig you didn't buy here is bull! I bought it there and he won't work on it. Well that's not quite true during the off season it only takes six months or so to get it looked at and lord knows how long to get it fixed. I decided last year that if I couldn't get replacement parts from Forest River (twice they have sent them - New radio and a frig board - great service) that I would fix it myself or live with it. I'm dealing with a simple hybrid and feel sorry for those in upscale Class A's. Spent a quarter million to buy it and another quarter to get it right. No idea how they stay in business, certainly not by their customer service. The weather is breaking, almost time to hit the road.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #16

From a consumers perspective

Owner brings rig to dealer. Service manager/service writer/writer/lackey/minion/junior person on the floor/new hire yesterday greets you. Here is my list or says here's a couple things to fix. Blank look from afore mentioned person/trained monkey, and I don't like to demean trained monkeys, but everything goes south from this point.

1. OK heres your copy. Pull your rig around back and Jim/Bob/Dan/Mike/Joe will show you where to park it. Is this warranty or on your dime? (be very careful how you answer this because - on your dime they MAY get to it in a week or two - warranty - you get free storage until they get tired of you nagging them).

2. Parts are on order. Any day now. (maybe if you believe in fairies and unicorns - when the next transporter brings new iron in the parts MAY be in one of the rigs, if we remembered to call and order them).

3. Parts are here and your rig will be the third in on Monday. (but they didn't say which Monday)

4. The tech who is working on your rig sprained his wrist/out sick/wife is sick/kids are sick/
was fired and we have no idea what he/she did or didn't do. (they don't tell you that he was the only wrench turner they had who knew up from down and he quit to go next door because his family likes to eat).

I'm going to stop now to let a dealer, any dealer tell me that I'm 100% wrong/50%/25%/ or tell me to go pedal my papers and I am dead wrong on all of this.
Any one else care to add to the list or have a bad dream they'd like to share.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #17

I've often wondered how much the dealers save by DIY owners like me. I got so frustrated with "the parts aren't here yet" that I just started doing it myself...I suspect with better results. I know I'm putting money in their pocket, but I like using my MH from time to time. Thanks to this Forum, many of the repair techniques are right at your fingertips.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 PM   #18

Just the opposite.

Bought 800 miles away and saved a ton of money. Big warranty work done 2 miles away and done well and relatively quickly.......several issues, not just one. All fixed and fixed well, and honestly.

It does and can happen.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #19

It's the reason I bought my DP 3 years old. Saved about $25K vs. new. Balance of 5 year engine and transmission warranty had me covered against five figure repairs, and the 25 grand was my "bank" for any other repairs. I had an A/C problem on the road. A mobile RV service showed up at the campground and fixed it in 2 hours with 2 technicians working on it for under $400.

Happy Camper here.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #20

So...Warranty work...Dealers all play a game?

I just love when dealers tell you that you get preferred service when you buy from them, even when you tell them a dealer 200 miles away has the same unit same options for like $5-6K less.

The warranty which is generally on 12 months means nothing when you can't get a repair done. I have only bought new once and never again, Forest River is hit or miss when you need them, so far I am 50/50 with them.

I believe buying a used unit carefully looking it over and doing some repairs yourself and learning everything will be a better deal then just buying new. Personally the way these things are built I laugh when MFG's say it leaves with 1-3 inspections and PDI tests bc most units will have some sort of an issue. I think if they stepped up their game and stop trying to push out more units and spend more time on QA, and worked better with dealers there would be less of this crud.

Dealers also need to work with them bc I have talked to a few who bash brands they sell or used to sell. There are good dealers out there but I prefer to do 80% of everything I can and use a local CW service dept which has done right by me in a pinch. I bought another clean used unit and going thru it and replacing anything that is questionable but will keep spare parts onboard just in case. I can do most everything but there are certain things like one time things I don't feel comfortable doing (installing a second AC unit) and since they warranty their service I will use a quality Service dept and pay.

I know a lot of ppl want new so they are the only ones that have used it but there is nothing a good walk thru can't fix and a bunch of good cleaners and my depreciation on a 2013 unit is far less then spending $50K on a 2017 that will be worth like 40-50% less in 2-3 years just not worth losing all that $.

Tags
dealer, warranty