Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #21

pop up in 60s with parents
truck camper mid 70s on my truck
pop up early 80s
1992 class c Tioga (loved it) New
2011 Class A Winnebago (very nice) New
2013 5th wheel Alpha (used)
2014 5th wheel Rockwood Signature (very nice)
To do it all over again,
should have stayed with a Class C. But will stay with 5th wheel for now.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #22

Tent camping as a Boy scout. One winter on the ground in a snowstorm was enough of that.
Bluebird Wanderlodge FC35 with ex wife. Only camped when her snooty friends were there too. After the kids got busy with swimming that ended camping.
Met a new love 7 years ago that I am now very happily married to. We both love camping, so we got a 24 ft Heartland North Trail TT with one slide three years ago. Slightly one year later we got a 32 ft Dutchmen Denali with 3 slides. Love it! Contemplating a 5er but haven't found exactly what we want yet.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #23

Tent camped all of my childhood and through my 30s.

Bought a small Outback Kangaroo 23KRS toy hauler. It had air conditioning, heat, hot water, toilet and space in the front for a playpen(toy section).

Whet for a bigger trailer after 9 years to a Keystone Fuzion 300. had it for 4-5 years.

Now we have a 2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8311WS and LOVE it.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #24

Camped all my life. My parents were big campers we had river front property growing up . We spent many nights during the summer sleeping in an old canvas tent . Then one day my dad came home with a Camper on the back of his old truck I dont know where he got it but us kids thought it super cool . Well when we went on our first camp trip with the new camper we realized us kids were still tent campers hahaha .
After camping for 25 years in a tent I acquired a basically abandoned 27 foot Nomad from a friend I could never understand why his mom didn't want it as it was actually really nice . I replaced the hot water heater and toilet and used that trailer for about 8 years . Then one day she contacted me and asked if I would sell it back to her . (she never made me buy it in the first place ) She said she knew I had done a bunch of upgrades but needed it to live in for a while as she fell on hard times . So I insisted she could have it back at no charge . She cried and I felt good about helping her .
Fast forward a decade and I now have a family of my own . My wife and kids have been tent camping pros and never complained but I came across a deal I couldnt refuse so I jumped on it and we are now RV'ers lol . The kids still sleep in a tent unless its super cold . Hey Im not raising no snowflakes lol

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #25
jkoenig24

In my 20s, I did some tent camping. In 2010, I was going to go to the Burning Man Festival in NV and, I wanted a small camping trailer so as to have some comfort while boondocking in the desert. I had a GREAT time (and went to Burning Man again in 2011 & 2012. I was unable to get a ticket in 2013 or 2014). I quickly realized I really liked RVing and, started looking for something bigger to "graduate" to. Three+ years later (after MUCH searching), I decided on the Super-C Class Dynamax DX3-37RB I currently have. My DX3 is a Class 7 HDT (Heavy Duty Truck). I've since seen several Class 8 HDTs. They're REALLY nice units (and priced accordingly).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #26

Well, my German wife Gerda was brought up tent camping in Italy just south of Venice in the same campgrounds on the water every year since she was about 3 years old until we were married in 1966 in Darmstadt! My parents weren't Campers and I left home early! Did tent camp in the Boy Scouts! Camped a lot in the US Army during my 30 year AD career, but let's not go there! Then the big bug hit after our first daughter! Tent camping every spare day! Even a trip back ito Italy with my mother in law and father in law! Here in the USA we graduated to a VW Camper (not a pop top - couldn't afford one). All over California to include Tahoe often and Mexico! Second daughter arrived! We bought an Apache pop up and traveled all over the USA especially when reassigned! My mother in law and father would save their money up, fly in from Germany, and make all the trips duty station to duty station and sight seeing with us! Leavenworth, FL, VA beach, DC, Grand Old Oprey, Carlsbad Caverns, Texas Coast, Tahoe, Yosemite, and more! Donated the Apache to homeless after Hurricane Andrew wreaked havoc in S FL. No camping for a couple of decades because the daughters grew up, got, married, but have kept up the family camping tradition with their families. Then my wife and I got the bug again, bought a 1991 VW pop up Vanagon, totally restored it to better than new (auto wth a/c) and travelled regularly for 5 years up and down the West Coast with our family pet! Sold it to a young couple for every penny we put into it and no more so they could afford it! Got bitten again a few years ago, but the wife insisted on a real bath, bed room, kitchen, and all the comforts of home, but no bus! Bought a 2016 Forest River Forester (local reputable dealer) MBS with a full slide in early Fall 2015. It was a short term rental by our local dealer! Only 10K miles on it so we saved about $20K on the price of a new one--then put extended warranties on the house and Sprinter! It's like a condo on wheels! Diesel gets 18 to 21 mpgs at 65 on the freeway! 2 round trip cross country trips West Coast to East Coast to visit our oldest daughter and her family--and back zig zagging up and down states as well! Several local California trips to our favorite spots! In fact it's sitting in our driveway right now after having it gone over for any issues, plus all the roof caulking taken out and replaced with new as preventative maintenance! We wish we could travel more often but we won't become full time RVers! We travel out from our home base and prefer doing it that way! Live in Crazy California and the relatives and friends will come visit from everywhere and we love it that way! We also don't want to be stuck in a motorhome as we get older and can't use it that often! Then can't afford to buy back into the once again inflated housing market or afford inflated rent! One of my cousins and her husband are going through that right now and it's ugly for them! That's our story! Dan n Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #27

We started out with a Tent and camped for 3 years, then we bought a SMALL used popup, then a bigger popup for 2 years, then we bought a NEW popup that we had for 20 years, sold that and went back to a tent for 3 years, then we moved to Arizona and bought a Motorcycle tent camper, very roomy and we enjoyed it until one trip when it got so HOT we quickly realized we NEEDED something that had A/C so we bought a Class B Dodge van (motor home) had that a year and moved up to our Class C motor home we have now, I must say we really enjoy the MH and have put on 20,000 miles in the 2 years we've had her and would have nothing else.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #28

Like many "baby boomers" we started out tent camping as a youngster at state parks. Then when we were enough to get into Boy Scouts, jumped into a troop with awesome Scoutmasters. We camped in tents at least once a month or more, year round in Ohio. Rain, snow, heat, didn't matter, out we went. Parents got Hand-me-down equipment & tent from grandparents (home made) and they loved it. After DW and I got settled a bit, bowered a pop-up from relatives and ventured to Emerald Isle NC two years in a row and exposed our two young daughters to camping. Eventually found a used pop-up and used it with our kids (now grown with families) for a couple seasons. Got tired of the cold & dampness and we sold it and found a 27ft BH TT. Used it a couple seasons and the kids had to move out of state for jobs, so we traded the BH for a slightly used '08 3100S Sunseeker with only 6k miles on it...loved that rig until we went to the RV Supershow in the IX center in Cleveland (BIG MISTAKE) ordered a 2016 3050S Sunseeker. Loved that rig as well and now in Dec of '17, got to do our first Snow Bird exercise in FL. While the 3050 is an open layout and has lots of space, Snow Birding for several months (5) just seemed a bit of a stretch. On the way down I-75, there happens to be a large RV dealer lurking in the trees for unsuspecting RVers in the Tampa area. Just want to look at the new Georgetown XL 378, JUST LOOK! Well.....yup bought it..now the proud owner of our last RV!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #29

Tent camped in the 70's as a Boy Scout. Married right out of college and more tent camping in 80's. Bought a used (antique?) popup late 80's, but I use the term loosely - don't remember the brand, but it was basically a low walled trailer with a bench seat along one side, beds pulled out front and back, and a large canvas tent snapped around the whole thing. More tent camping in 90's as Scoutmaster and family camping in popup. Wife ended up with a cpap and they effectively ended our camping until last Oct when we bought a 2018 grey wolf 23mk. Used it 2 nights so far, but we both love getting back into camping.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #30
Bene Gesserit Rule

I will turn 73 in July this year. I stared back in the 60's with a bed roll, camping out with mates on the softest piece of ground we could find wherever we were.

Later, after I got married (to my current DW), we tried a few jaunts using a pop-up trailer, the type with the pop-up-n-out canvas 'caravan' thing. Pulled it with a Datsun 1600 wagon, great car. It was OK, with one ankle-biter in tow and one on the way but crawling into bed was a bit of pain (for the DW and her overhang anyway). Lots of fun for the few times we used it. Easy to pull.

Next was a big tent, with the incorporated floor and add-on awning/kitchen space. On our first excursion with this to our most favored place, we got flooded out in an unseasonal deluge. Sold it when we got home.

Many years later we bought a 'real' caravan, about 16' I think. Used it once, hated pulling it with my normal daily ride a Holden station wagon. Back then nobody had vehicles like what you guys had/have and our current Chevy. Stability with these things was shay to say the least. Technology has improved things somewhat since, but still not my cup of tea.

During these times, me and the missus traveled around our country and OS quite a lot, flying in and out, staying in hotels and motels, living out of suitcases and occasionally hiring a car. We saw lots of fab places but hated getting there and getting home again. So..

Another 20 years or so on, when I had been retired for about 10 years, the wife finally retired and we did a 30 day cruise across the Pacific from Australia to Vancouver, stopping at all the islands along the way. The harrowing experiences getting back home was enough to tell us that comfort was the only way to travel.

And, it was time to go see our country, but the long-n-slow way. The only thing I was prepared to drive/pull was either a MH or a 5th wheel. Because of my experiences with big trucks during my earlier years as a tradesman and when touring with a couple of bands I was in, big vehicles didn't scare me. We did a weekend trial of a MH and was not too enthused by it, having to pack-up just to go buy milk, etc. After touring half the country checking out options, were got disappointed with the offerings and limped back home, eventually getting on to the guy we had tried to pin down before we even left. The DW stepped inside the FR Wildwood Heritage Glen 28RLT and said, "This is it" and here we are. Had to find a TV and was sure I wanted a Chevy Silverado, but that is another story.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #31

Tent, back of pickup, 2 Coleman pop ups, Roadtrek class B, KZ Coyote hybrid and now Rockwood roo 21bd hybrid.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #32
Denver, CO

Do boats count if you stay in them?

22 ft Chris craft
25 ft Chris craft
36 ft Chris Craft
Winnie lesharo
23 ft Award TT
27 ft Norsea Sailboat
29ft Chris craft
34 ft Newmar Londonaire TT
27ft Balboa Sailboat
34 ft Monaco 5th Wheel
30 ft Forest River 5th wheel
Bigfoot Truck Camper
Winnebago 24 ft Fuse (probable last one)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #33

In the 1950s tents in the back yard
On to tents with the Boy Scouts
next under a poncho in a jungle
in the 1970s - 80s several TTs
a class C
a class A
now on the 3rd 5er! Took that long to learn a 5er is the best way for me!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #34

Tent camping when the kids were young. Bought a used pop up, then another used pop up. Had them for 5 years. Bought a new Coachmen TT in 2013. We were very happy with it. We went to Mackinaw Coachmen Rally and the deer wife opened the door on a motor home display and saw a residential size refrigerator and said "I need that" so... you guessed it. I bought a new motor home.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #35

Started with a 29’ Coachman Class A in 2004ish. Then to a 38’ Georgetown Class A. Then to a 42’ Fleetwood Providence Diesel Class A. Took a couple years off. Bought a 27’ Kodiak TT. Then a 38’ Open Range TT. Then a 36’ Jayco Eagle 5er. Now have a 32’ Rockwood 5er.

All within a 13 year period.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:54 AM   #36

Tent - 1990 thru 2000 - Vehicle - Maxima wagon & Dodge conversion van
Coleman Cheyenne Popup - 2000 thru 2011 - Vehicle - Dodge conversion van & Chevy Tahoe
Rockwood 2603 Trailer - 2011 thru present - Vehicle - Ford f350.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 AM   #37

So what has been your progression (trailer, 5th wheel, motorhome DP, Class C)

Backpacking tent, 1971 VW Westfalia #1 (Mother’s), 1977 VW #2, 1987 VW #3, 1993 21 ft Tioga Class C (compliments of in-laws in 2005) & 2014 Forester.

I think our two VWs were the best thing I ever purchased. Our girls grew up in them, first trip at 3 months old.

Of course we love our Forester now.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:30 AM   #38
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Do boats count if you stay in them?

22 ft Chris craft
25 ft Chris craft
36 ft Chris Craft
Winnie lesharo
23 ft Award TT
27 ft Norsea Sailboat
29ft Chris craft
34 ft Newmar Londonaire TT
27ft Balboa Sailboat
34 ft Monaco 5th Wheel
30 ft Forest River 5th wheel
Bigfoot Truck Camper
Winnebago 24 ft Fuse (probable last one)
I'd say they count, and looking at these numbers, you still are counting.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #39

24' Ameri-lite TT
32' Jayco 5er
34' Heritage Glen TT - present
30 - 34' ??????? - future
Old 02-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #40

The progression of us 2 old folks, married just over 6 years, is different than most. In our "previous lives" before the loss of spouses, there was a lot of tent camping. Six months into our marriage, found us at an Rv show and we got the bug. We purchased a new 2012 16 ft. Bullet hybrid and used it 2 times. Hubby couldn't shut the BR door due to his long legs in the small space. We parked it in our driveway, put a For Sale sign on it. Five minutes later a couple drove by, did a uturn, and bought it. It was just what they had been looking for. Back to the same dealer and bought a 2012 StarCraft 18 ft. hybrid. It at least had a bigger BR but there were some of the same issues dealing with the canvas sleeping quarters, condensation, crawling over the other person in the night and just general safety. Another RV show found us looking at 5r and buying a 2014 28' Springdale. Used one summer and didn't like some of the features, such as location of the bathroom and slideout. 2015 Sunset Trail at least solved that issue but too long. Next 2016 Laredo 26 ft. seemed to be the solution, smaller and easier to handle. In Jan. 2017 we had a fire at our home that destroyed that one. So, after 3 5R's we have a 2017 32'8" Springdale 5R parked in the yard. Grandbaby added to the family and we thought the 2 bunk beds would give us more sleeping quarters. It was used 3 times last summer and we had more difficulty maneuvering it. That's it, no more RV's to pull behind. That one is FOR SALE! We tried tent camping again last fall, once, and decided that is too much work and too much stuff to haul. We may just call it quits, but we enjoy camping too much. I like the looks of the AFrame Hard Side campers, but hubby isn't convinced. That's scaling down too much. Time will tell!
artsylady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class c, motorhome, trailer, wheel