Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
We have young kids and I'm not sure there are safe ways to secure car seats in motorhomes. I also don't need another motor vehicle to maintain and insure as such and having a vehicle to drive around is good. We went with a 5th wheel after looking at all the contraptions needed to safely tow a travel trailer. The 5er is pretty easy and I tow another trailer behind it half the time.

2004 Wildcat 28BH
2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7CTD
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
Cost and features. We could have either a) gotten a used truck and used camper or b) kept the SUV we had and bought a new, lighter camper. We chose option b.

~ Darlene ~

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
we had a plan of paying off the TV save for two years, purchase a camper!
well we paid off my truck then my wife got the itch and we bought a used Hybrid after a year. Enjoyed our hybrid the first two years then figured out it was not so great for infants! Needless to say we bought our dream 5th wheel brand new and never looked back.
As fast murray said, car seats and a motor coach didnt jive for us either. We are now expecting our second child and know we can take all of our kids with no issues!
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
MI Camperz
We're seasonal so don't tow. large Tt made the most sense and size for the money. I wouldnt tow it a 34' tt with extra height. Park model in future if we stay more than another year or two.
MI Camperz
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #15
A 5th wheel ..35ft Crusader 3 slideouts(very roomy) ..e-z to hitch & unhitch..tracks behind the F250 diesel really nice..and... going south for 4 months in the winter ..we have the truck to use as needed...when at home the F250 is our 2nd vehicle to use when we both have different places to go at the same time...our "running errands" car is a Ford Focus are the house ...hope this helps
2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #16
Bought a small toy hauler because it is large enough I can take my canoe or kayaks inside but small enough I can tow with a half-ton. The electric bed allows floor space or sleeping without the weight of a slide.

Very pleased with the compromise but will go to a 5th wheel in 3 years or so if I move up to a super duty.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
A class c for us because my wife uses it sometimes without me and she thought she could drive it because the cab is similar to her truck she drives every day. I have already moved her up to a 3170 witch is 4 foot longer than the first one we had and although she does not know it a dp and toad are in her future.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
Professional Curmudgeon
Several factors influenced my choices. I had a small class 'A' with electrical problems that kept it parked. So it worked well as a spare room next to the house, but that's about it. Resolved to never have a camper with the engine and 'house' in one unit again.
Everybody has a "line in the sand" where the activity stops being "camping" and starts being something else. For some it's anything fancier than a tent. For others, hybrids still qualify. For me, a "smallish" (less than 30 foot) TT still qualifies as "camping". The fiver's are sure nice, but way too much for me.
Once settled on a TT, I wanted a floor plan with some room, but no deep slides. I wanted access to the kitchen and bath with the slide in. I did have a Gulfstream Innsbruck that finally died of old age. The things I didn't like about it were the tiny bathroom (couldn't close the door with me inside) and the "crawl across" bed. There was also a window at the head of the bed, so I couldn't prop up on a bunch of pillows to read without risking a fall through the window. These were all considerations when shopping for the new unit. Finally, I wanted the television across from the sofa, not at the end of it. I was able to get everything exactly the way I want it in the TT I have now.
2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
Reese dual cam SC/WDH
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
We have the Greywolf 26rl circa 2011, the features that we wanted were:
1. separate bed room
2. 2 exit doors
3. bath in one room
4. tv across from the main seating area
5. being able to reach the frig, stove, bathroom with the slide in.
6. 1 floor due to health
7. back living room
8. TALL ceilings (our sons are all over 6'3")
found all of these in our tt, and after several mods we have the perfect unit for us.
Al and Deb
Sarge, Sugar and Ginger
2006 Silverado "Predator"
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
We have a 2013 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WIKSS travel trailer. My husband "didn't want to drive a bus" so no Class As were considered. He didn't like the high profile of many 5ers. Class Cs were never really in the mix for whatever reason; we just didn't look that direction. We went to the Houston RV show last Feb. and saw the V-Lites. He loved the aerodynamics and I loved the floorplan. We bought a show model so got upgrades we probably would never have ordered - like the fireplace we love. It tows well and the interior is very comfortable. Works beautifully for two adults with no children and only occasional adult company. More storage space would be nice, but we are still figuring out what we really use and what needs to go back to the house. There have been some bumps in our learning curve, but we were completely inexperienced with RVs and much can be attributed to owner error. We had a good walk through, just information overload. Tony Clark and the guys at Ron Hoover in Houston have been great about fixing the small stuff and refreshing our memories of how things work. All in all we are very happy with our Travel Trailer.

Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote