Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #1

Soggy Bottom

Oh Lord...rain, rain and more rain here in south Georgia. We have had 8 inches in two days and more to come. Had to pull the SV291 and the pontoon boat out of the storage building in my backyard because Dear Wife and her friends are camping at the lake. Back yard is the consistancy of a Hershey Bar left on the dashboard in the July sun. Thank God for four wheel drive on the old Z-71. Now I have ruts to fill in the yard. Point is......when ya wanna go camping.....ya just do it. To heck with the weather...it's all good. Got to the State Park and guess what? The troopers were there. The tent campers, pop-ups, tongue tied, 5th wheelers and the motor coaches. All were having a grand old time. I love it!
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Pickin' and singin' !

Escape

Well, if your ruts are anything like mine were, they will dissappear in about 2 years! hehe!

My 4wd 's tires got loaded up with mud/clay and my neighbor's tractor pulled me out!

Anyway, I am assuming that at times we all go camping to escape into a relaxing world that we can escape all of the weight that we might have on our shoulders on a daily basis. Likely from hard work. )

Kudos to those who trek into our campers in the most unlikely of times, if only to enjoy time with our loved ones away from everything else in this world!

We did a few weekends ago and froze our butts off here in Ohio! And loved every second of it!
Directv and DTV
The wife, kids and lots of Pepsi!/SIZE]
guysing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #3

Oh heck yeah Guysing,
We just do it and the heck with the rest. Went from a tent to a pop-up then to a 30 foot pull behind. You know...some folks say that TT or 5-iver, and motor coach is not camping....well let me tell you...I've served in Germany, in the Bavarian Alps stuck in a tank turret as a gunner and froze my a## off. I was also on a gun Jeep on the East German bordor during the Cold War. Froze my a## off there too. Many are the times we heated our cold C-Rations on the manifold of the tank we were on. How I remember the nights when we huddled on top of the engine cover of our tank engine just to gather the warmth from the ambient heat it gave off. We still froze. It was H@ll.
Now here I am...fat and happy with a really great TT and loving all of the joys comming to me this weekend....daughters, sons, grandkids and good friends.
Still Proudly Flying The American Flag,
Bill Underwood
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #4

Remember the ruts in the back yard will remind you of the fun you had the weekend you got them. You can laugh each time the mower hits them. That is what we do. Lock it in 4wheel and give it H@ll. Fiver dont care if it gits dirty. Kinda fun to give it a bath with the helpers and a warm day and a garden hose. Makes it twice as fun. Kids love anything to do with getting wet. Life is to short to not have a good time due to rain.
fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

If the weather was going to have an effect on our camping trips I would have bought a condo at some beach a long time ago. Tenting for 20 years, Pop-up for 2 years, TT for 5 years and now the motorhome for 2-1/2 years. There have been a handful of times when it didn't rain at least part of the time. We have some great memories of tent collapses, moving to a cabin or in one case a hotel. The girls loved the indoor pool! My co-workers think I control the weather because when I take off to go camping, they say get ready for the rain. It has never been boring!!!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #6

Long story short, here we are. Parked the camper and the pontoon boat at the lake and then went home. Wife was to go out to the TT today and spend time with friends for a day before we(the kids etc...) got there on friday. Well...it rained too hard here in south Georgia and the wife decided to stay here at home....to watch the creek rise...to flood levels. Rear of back yard is under water. Looking at the creek level forcast and it seems to be that we will miss getting water in the house by three feet. In other words we have three feet of freeboard before the water enters the house. Got six inches of water in the house in 1998 so we are pretty comfortable withe the water level (can't spell hydrologic) forcast. Lake Blackshear here we come....WoHoooo.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #7

We're with ya Bill! Don't care about the weather, just want to be out there. we are heading out on Sunday for a week on the other side of the mountains. We too have been getting lots of rain here but the problem with that has been record snow falls in the mountains. They have gotten over 4' more snow on our passes here in the last 2 days. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the passes will be open to get where we want to go.

Have a great trip, rain or shine....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote