Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Solar

We bought a new Rockwood Minilite Tow Trailer that came set up for Solar connection. But there is no specific owners manual nor any guidance for the solar panel performance that would be required. Can anybody out there suggest a solution or where to look for such info?
Thanks
gary9825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Define 'set up for solar connection'.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #3

Solar Connection

There is a "Plug and Play" connection on the side of the trailer; it is apparently a universal connection, and there is "no installation required". Mention is made of "Go Power!" which we assume is a brand, but we are supposed to speak with our dealership about it. If we sound clueless - well, we are! We've never owned a trailer before, and it is a little overwhelming - especially as there is very little documentation on how the trailer actually works, and how we need to maintain it. It's a lovely thing, and we want to take care of it - just trying to figure out how. Any information would be welcomed!
Old 02-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

The connection on the side of the trailer is just a convenient way to hook up a solar panel, as you don't have to pop the top off the battery box, the batteries are wired to that receptacle. You will require three things: a portable solar panel (I bought a Renogy 100w suitcase), an adaptor to connect the cables from the solar panel to the wall receptacle (that plug is known as an SAE plug), and a charge controller between the batteries and the solar panel, which will control current/voltage going to battery to prevent overcharging. Many panels are available with a charge controller installed on the panel.

Panels that are made by Go Power and Zamp tend to be overpriced although well made. They are marketed towards people who see the sticker and think they have to get that brand. Don't go with some el-cheapo Chinese panel without good customer service, and remember high price doesn't equate to the best panel. I chose Renogy for their reputation and reasonable prices. You just need to make sure the polarity of the pins on the wall receptacle matches the polarity of the panel cables, easy to do with a multimeter set to DC voltage readings. I wouldn't get cables longer than 20 feet, or you will need super heavy gauge (expensive) cables to prevent 'line loss' of voltage.

Most panels have what's called MC4 weatherproof connectors on their cables. You will need an adaptor to SAE if you plan to use that wall inlet.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #5

SolarPanel

Thanks for your comprehensive and detailed message - much appreciated. We will figure this out, but help from people like you make it a lot easier!
Old 02-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Anytime! That's what I love about this forum.

Tags
solar