Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkford1953 View Post
Jim decided to have the dealership take the truck next door to have them mount FW hitch with receptacle in the bed. When we left the lot it fell out without us knowing. We were several miles from home and realized we needed a 50 to 30 amp plug. That's when we noticed the lights weren't working. He found the plug laying in the bed of the truck. Pushed the plug back in and it fell out again. It has a catch/lock that should latch on to the plug but it kept falling out. He found a piece of wire and tied it as tight as he could so we could get the FW home. Once we got home he tried the truck receptacle and it fell out of it too. So it was not the truck receptacle.

We have a 24' TT that has gone from New Mexico to South Dakota and back to Houston without any problems. This is our 4th RV so we know it is not the receptacle.
Is it the wrong plug somehow, or is it missing the little knob on top that mates with the female plug on the truck. I'm stumped, BUT the dealer should be more helpful.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
phat phrog stunt crew

If the trailer electric cord is ruined, look at e trailer.com. I had to replace mine after some less than gainfully employed individual swiped mine. I think the pricewas 25 bucks or delivered 2 days later. Truck receptical should be equally as cheap.

Sorry for the difficult reading. Stupid nook. Haven't mastered the keyboard yet.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Professional Curmudgeon

On the up side, you have the opportunity to use your camper extensively without burning up your warranty time.
I'd use the system; absorb the price of the plug. I often spend that much for lunch. Let your warranty clock idle in place, don't push it until you actually have a big ticket item to claim. It's conceivable you could get an extra 6 months or more warranty time added to your ownership.

As an aside, they also sell six inch long bungee cords that attach to the ears on the plug and wrap around the receptical. It won't come out then!
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
I would think scanning or faxing a copy of your invoice would eliminate any doubt in FR's mind. Beyond that, $30-50 in out-pocket expense to straighten out anything RV related should be taken in stride, we've all done it. Get 'er done and have a safe, happy vacation.
My MY great minds travel the same wave length. I was going to do that tomorrow morning. Fax/email FR a Copy of the Cashiers Check and a copy of our personal check for the TT&L. They are NOT getting my Fifth Wheel back.................LOL They can have my 1st born (44 yrs old) but not my fifth wheel.

Within the 3 weekends we have had it we have personalized it to our liking.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If the plug fell out and was dragged on the road, it's junk and both the plug and the receptacle should be replace. Not a warranty problem. Sorry to say, but that's an "Operator Error".
No, the plug wasn't plugged into the truck receptacle. The company that installed the hitch installed a receptacle in the bed of the truck too.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
Engineer of Crazy Train

What scares me is not knowing that the plug fell out. Doesn't your brake controller tell you when you are not connected. I can't imagine travelling without brakes. That could have been disastrous. I have an old school Tekonsha and I keep looking for the green LED to be on.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
X4. Closely examine the plug and receptacle. Would be a shame for you to go to all this trouble and aggrevation only to find out there is a broken spring, tap, or the plug is simply not going in the receptacle far enough to latch. My Flagstaff 5er plug slipped easily into the plug in our Dodge. Now the plug on our Sandpiper has to be wiggled and pushed hard to get it fully seated in the plug in our Duramax. I actually have to double check to insure the plug is in far enough for the receptacle cap to fully latch down on the plug. Also, on both my rigs I have also taken a velcro strap and wrapped about the plug and receptacle latch to insure it does not come unlatched.
It actually latches but while driving it wiggles out. We heard it hit the bed of the truck when we took off. We stopped got out and it was then we realized it was way loose. That's when he tied it as tight as he could to the receptacle so we could have lights. By this time it was dark thirty..........
Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
X4. Closely examine the plug and receptacle. Would be a shame for you to go to all this trouble and aggrevation only to find out there is a broken spring, tap, or the plug is simply not going in the receptacle far enough to latch. My Flagstaff 5er plug slipped easily into the plug in our Dodge. Now the plug on our Sandpiper has to be wiggled and pushed hard to get it fully seated in the plug in our Duramax. I actually have to double check to insure the plug is in far enough for the receptacle cap to fully latch down on the plug. Also, on both my rigs I have also taken a velcro strap and wrapped about the plug and receptacle latch to insure it does not come unlatched.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
What scares me is not knowing that the plug fell out. Doesn't your brake controller tell you when you are not connected. I can't imagine travelling without brakes. That could have been disastrous. I have an old school Tekonsha and I keep looking for the green LED to be on.
Yeah were were real worried about that once we realized we had NO LIGHTS......
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #20

Thank you for the great replies and advises. Jim should be able to get the plug and wire tomorrow. Then he will be my HERO.