Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

(Solved) We need help.........ASAP

Jim and I bought a FR Fifth Wheel Salem Hemisphere Lite 286RLT 10-26-2013 Paid Cash, Paid Off. Ours.

We noticed the dealership's website shows our Fifth Wheel is still Sales Pending. We need to replace the 7 way plug because the one that came with the FW will not stay in the truck receptical (sp). We drove 250+ miles home from the dealership without lights. We didn't know the plug had come undone.

We called the dealership several times, was told they were busy or away from the their offices and still no return calls. Then we called Forest River and they told us our FW is still showing in their inventory. The dealership has to remove it from their website and let FR know it was sold before any warranty work can be done. Please help.

We will be going on a 10 day trip in 7 days so we will have to pay out of pocket for the 7 way plug ( 30.00 to 50.00) and replace it ourselves according to FR Service Dept. I sure hope this doesn't void the warranty.

If I need to give the name of the dealership I will but only to someone that I know will actually be able to help. I hate to ruin a business's name.

Thanks..............
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If your plug will not stay in the truck receptacle, I would look to the problem being with your truck's receptacle and not your trailer plug. The lid to your truck's receptacle should push down onto the trailer plug and lock it into place. I would suspect the receptacle is the culprit and not the plug.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

First things first, at least for our Sunseeker class C, FR has been great to work with.

Here's what I would do...

Verify that the post above isn't the real problem - that makes sense...

But if it is the fifth wheel...

Call back FR only to get the name / e-mail of the FR warranty rep for your line. Somebody may come along here & post it.

E-mail them. Include an explanation of what you're having done, why, the urgency of your vacation, include a picture if the plug is defective in some way, etc. Ask them to respond in writing that it won't affect your warranty (I would bet close to my last dollar that it won't). Tell them the $30 - $50 estimate. Ask if they would cover it under warranty & send you a reimbursement check.

At the end of the day, I'd pay out of pocket the $30 - $50 so as not to ruin the vacation (although it sounds like you're worried about voiding the warranty vs the money which I get).

Basically I'd just skirt the dealer since they ain't exactly gettin it done.

And, by the way, assuming you've given the dealer ample opportunity to make it right, I wouldn't think twice about outing them from the perspective of service after the sale.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

X2 on what AquaMan said. Sounds like a truck issue.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkford1953 View Post
?......... Then we called Forest River and they told us our FW is still showing in their inventory. The dealership has to remove it from their website and let FR know it was sold before any warranty work can be done. Please help. ..............
I would think scanning or faxing a copy of your invoice would eliminate any doubt in FR's mind. Beyond that, $30-50 in out-pocket expense to straighten out anything RV related should be taken in stride, we've all done it. Get 'er done and have a safe, happy vacation.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
X2 on what AquaMan said. Sounds like a truck issue.
x3 Sounds like the truck plug...... does the cover door spring shut??? My spring went bad on the cover door & the plug would work out .......Went To a trailer store & bought a new one for about $6-$8.

You trailer plug is probably fine !!!!!!

Good Luck....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

If the plug fell out and was dragged on the road, it's junk and both the plug and the receptacle should be replace. Not a warranty problem. Sorry to say, but that's an "Operator Error".
Old 11-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
If your plug will not stay in the truck receptacle, I would look to the problem being with your truck's receptacle and not your trailer plug. The lid to your truck's receptacle should push down onto the trailer plug and lock it into place. I would suspect the receptacle is the culprit and not the plug.
Jim decided to have the dealership take the truck next door to have them mount FW hitch with receptacle in the bed. When we left the lot it fell out without us knowing. We were several miles from home and realized we needed a 50 to 30 amp plug. That's when we noticed the lights weren't working. He found the plug laying in the bed of the truck. Pushed the plug back in and it fell out again. It has a catch/lock that should latch on to the plug but it kept falling out. He found a piece of wire and tied it as tight as he could so we could get the FW home. Once we got home he tried the truck receptacle and it fell out of it too. So it was not the truck receptacle.

We have a 24' TT that has gone from New Mexico to South Dakota and back to Houston without any problems. This is our 4th RV so we know it is not the receptacle.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

X4. Closely examine the plug and receptacle. Would be a shame for you to go to all this trouble and aggrevation only to find out there is a broken spring, tap, or the plug is simply not going in the receptacle far enough to latch. My Flagstaff 5er plug slipped easily into the plug in our Dodge. Now the plug on our Sandpiper has to be wiggled and pushed hard to get it fully seated in the plug in our Duramax. I actually have to double check to insure the plug is in far enough for the receptacle cap to fully latch down on the plug. Also, on both my rigs I have also taken a velcro strap and wrapped about the plug and receptacle latch to insure it does not come unlatched.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
First things first, at least for our Sunseeker class C, FR has been great to work with.

Here's what I would do...

Verify that the post above isn't the real problem - that makes sense...

But if it is the fifth wheel...

Call back FR only to get the name / e-mail of the FR warranty rep for your line. Somebody may come along here & post it.

E-mail them. Include an explanation of what you're having done, why, the urgency of your vacation, include a picture if the plug is defective in some way, etc. Ask them to respond in writing that it won't affect your warranty (I would bet close to my last dollar that it won't). Tell them the $30 - $50 estimate. Ask if they would cover it under warranty & send you a reimbursement check.

At the end of the day, I'd pay out of pocket the $30 - $50 so as not to ruin the vacation (although it sounds like you're worried about voiding the warranty vs the money which I get).

Basically I'd just skirt the dealer since they ain't exactly gettin it done.

And, by the way, assuming you've given the dealer ample opportunity to make it right, I wouldn't think twice about outing them from the perspective of service after the sale.
We called a dealership that sells/service FR and they have the 7 way plug in stock. Jim is going to pick it up tomorrow. Like you said it is not the money (would rather not have to spend our own) but the warranty. Service manager at DeMontrond RV in Houston was very nice and got back with Jim to let us know they had one.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkford1953 View Post
Jim decided to have the dealership take the truck next door to have them mount FW hitch with receptacle in the bed. When we left the lot it fell out without us knowing. We were several miles from home and realized we needed a 50 to 30 amp plug. That's when we noticed the lights weren't working. He found the plug laying in the bed of the truck. Pushed the plug back in and it fell out again. It has a catch/lock that should latch on to the plug but it kept falling out. He found a piece of wire and tied it as tight as he could so we could get the FW home. Once we got home he tried the truck receptacle and it fell out of it too. So it was not the truck receptacle.

We have a 24' TT that has gone from New Mexico to South Dakota and back to Houston without any problems. This is our 4th RV so we know it is not the receptacle.
Is it the wrong plug somehow, or is it missing the little knob on top that mates with the female plug on the truck. I'm stumped, BUT the dealer should be more helpful.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
phat phrog stunt crew

If the trailer electric cord is ruined, look at e trailer.com. I had to replace mine after some less than gainfully employed individual swiped mine. I think the pricewas 25 bucks or delivered 2 days later. Truck receptical should be equally as cheap.

Sorry for the difficult reading. Stupid nook. Haven't mastered the keyboard yet.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Professional Curmudgeon

On the up side, you have the opportunity to use your camper extensively without burning up your warranty time.
I'd use the system; absorb the price of the plug. I often spend that much for lunch. Let your warranty clock idle in place, don't push it until you actually have a big ticket item to claim. It's conceivable you could get an extra 6 months or more warranty time added to your ownership.

As an aside, they also sell six inch long bungee cords that attach to the ears on the plug and wrap around the receptical. It won't come out then!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
I would think scanning or faxing a copy of your invoice would eliminate any doubt in FR's mind. Beyond that, $30-50 in out-pocket expense to straighten out anything RV related should be taken in stride, we've all done it. Get 'er done and have a safe, happy vacation.
My MY great minds travel the same wave length. I was going to do that tomorrow morning. Fax/email FR a Copy of the Cashiers Check and a copy of our personal check for the TT&L. They are NOT getting my Fifth Wheel back.................LOL They can have my 1st born (44 yrs old) but not my fifth wheel.

Within the 3 weekends we have had it we have personalized it to our liking.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If the plug fell out and was dragged on the road, it's junk and both the plug and the receptacle should be replace. Not a warranty problem. Sorry to say, but that's an "Operator Error".
No, the plug wasn't plugged into the truck receptacle. The company that installed the hitch installed a receptacle in the bed of the truck too.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
Engineer of Crazy Train

What scares me is not knowing that the plug fell out. Doesn't your brake controller tell you when you are not connected. I can't imagine travelling without brakes. That could have been disastrous. I have an old school Tekonsha and I keep looking for the green LED to be on.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
X4. Closely examine the plug and receptacle. Would be a shame for you to go to all this trouble and aggrevation only to find out there is a broken spring, tap, or the plug is simply not going in the receptacle far enough to latch. My Flagstaff 5er plug slipped easily into the plug in our Dodge. Now the plug on our Sandpiper has to be wiggled and pushed hard to get it fully seated in the plug in our Duramax. I actually have to double check to insure the plug is in far enough for the receptacle cap to fully latch down on the plug. Also, on both my rigs I have also taken a velcro strap and wrapped about the plug and receptacle latch to insure it does not come unlatched.
It actually latches but while driving it wiggles out. We heard it hit the bed of the truck when we took off. We stopped got out and it was then we realized it was way loose. That's when he tied it as tight as he could to the receptacle so we could have lights. By this time it was dark thirty..........
Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
What scares me is not knowing that the plug fell out. Doesn't your brake controller tell you when you are not connected. I can't imagine travelling without brakes. That could have been disastrous. I have an old school Tekonsha and I keep looking for the green LED to be on.
Yeah were were real worried about that once we realized we had NO LIGHTS......
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #20

Thank you for the great replies and advises. Jim should be able to get the plug and wire tomorrow. Then he will be my HERO.