Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
Usually the shorter the trailer the harder they are to back, up as they respond quicker to turning.

but watch somebody back up a four wheel trailer with a steer axle that

not that is a bit of a challenge, I have seen a lot of old farmers do it with hay wagons

Those were the design of the munitions trailers I hauled in the military. We had to back them into igloo storage units two across and two deep.

Two pivot points and was attached to tow vehicle with a pintle hook.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
So we pick up on Good Friday spend some time in the area then make our way to the Tadpole rally, see you there.
Remembering the good old days...
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160530_082140-1.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	201244

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #43

My DW has instructions to tell me if I am going to hit something and when I am far enough back. I pretty much know what I need to do to get where I want to go but just need help seeing the blind spots. I have found watching many people back on sites is they do not pull far enough forward before starting which causes them to have to jack the truck around way to far. I pull well pas the site and keep my 5er as close to the side that I am backing it in as possible. When I start backing up I coax the trailer into the turn just a bit so it starts turning that way before I have to start turning the truck. Gives me way more room to maneuver the truck. Another mistake is rushing. Slow down. It’s a camp site not a finish line for a race.
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:23 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Remembering the good old days...
Attachment 201244
Yup that was a fun rally, you'll just need to get a picture with the new camper at Tadpole
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwilliams808 View Post
When I got my new 5vr it took over 45 minutes to get it in the drive way, narrow street, narrow driveway and 4ft ditches on either side of driveway. Next time I backed in my kind and considerate neighbors pulled out their lawn chairs and beer to watch the festivities!
A bit of a different note: my wife and I used to live very near a steep hill. When it snowed, we would take chairs out and watch people trying to get up the hill. Cheap entertainment but very fun.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #46

We used to have a lot of trouble with our fiver, but then we bought a motorhome...problem solved!
pobox1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #47

~

I read this thread with great interest.Having owned three TTs and various work trailers, I have always backed my equipment with great confidence. I bought my 5er September last year and posted a thread here concerning my apprehensiveness about being able to back it. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rs-170936.html

I have only camped with it once thus far. The camp site was easy. My driveway and my storage spot has been the challenge. My "Revolution" hitch pivots on the 5er and not on the truck end. I haven't backed it enough to be comfortable doing it yet. This pivot point isn't hat much off of where the bumper mount was, but it feels much different.

A week from today I will get another chance at it! I'm sure I will catch on, just hope I don't mess anything up before I do.

2017 Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature 8289WS
2005 F-250 Super Duty diesel
Pourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #48

It’s not just a cup....

It’s my best friend when backin in. Scout the site and set them up like cones and go for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF59043D-DAB2-4452-97EF-465743E87EA8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	644.7 KB
ID:	201471  
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Some sites are easy and some are a pain. I tell my wife to just sit in the truck or check out the camp store while I back in and get setup. I will usually get out and walk the site looking for tree branches mostly. Get a good line picked out and back it in where I want it. It pains me whenever the golf cart guy wants to back me in as you never know how to interpret some of there signals.
Ditto!
TJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #50

Exactly to putting hand on bottom of steering wheel. Father in law taught me that many years ago. Yes, he drove semi trucks.

Perhaps this guy had a back up camera in the trailer, too
Danbury Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Usually the shorter the trailer the harder they are to back, up as they respond quicker to turning.
not that is a bit of a challenge, I have seen a lot of old farmers do it with hay wagons
That’s how I learned, backing farm wagons with hay or filled with corn to grind
Old 04-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #52

Quote:

I've always had smaller trailers like popups until I got my current twin axle hybrid, which isn't really that big. I figured out long ago that it isn't so much the length of the trailer, it's the angle that you have based on a line from each wheel to the hitch ball. The wider the angle, the wilder the backup.

I had a small one-bike motorcycle trailer that was really narrow and it backed up straight and easy. I also had a pull-behind brush hog for my tractor that was the same length from hitch to axle, but was probably 50 percent wider, and it was almost impossible to back up straight.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:42 AM   #53

He possibly, like me and some others I've met, learned how to do that by backing up a manure spreader when he was 6 or 7 years old. Then when we started driving trucks it was already easy.
neal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #54

Practice small

I find that a small single axle is great to practice with. They move quick so be careful but great to practice with. Always slow and easy with mirrors. at night I set a light on drivers side back where I want to be.
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #55

Great advice and some good humor always makes this a fascinating topic for this newb. I esp. like the red solo cup trick- easy to see and cheap as hell. When we p/u our first TT (30') next month, we'll be detouring to the local high school parking lot to do some practice before we go home to back in and put on a show for the neighbors.
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #56

I used to work factory maintenance in a previous life and we had a large commercial welder on a trailer. The front axle pivoted for steering and was attached to a 4 foot tongue. In other words, it acted like a kids little red wagon. To move this around the plant, we hooked it to an electric fork lift and towed it. Fork lifts steer with the rear wheels. So...when backing that welder, your brain got a real workout trying to figure out which way to turn the steering wheel. Also, small steering changes made a big change in direction. I got to be fairly good at it. Most guys just got disgusted with it and would disconnect the welder from the forklift and physically push the welder where they needed it. Backing a 5er is a cakewalk in comparison!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Biggest problem I see is where people place their hands on the steering wheel. TTs are best with hand at the bottom of the wheel. What ever way you move your hand that's the way the trailer moves. Slow steady gets it. 5er is just the opposite. Easier to back in from the drivers side first learning how.
Doesn't make any difference if you know what you're doing. Don't see real truck drivers do this they just back up. Its all about where the trailer is going not the hands.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Doesn't make any difference if you know what you're doing. Don't see real truck drivers do this they just back up. Its all about where the trailer is going not the hands.
That's because they can think in 2 planes of thought. I do it all the time but for people to learn much easier to start by placing hand at the bottom of the wheel.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
I backed in a spot the other day, guy beside me commented how easy I made it look, I said almost 40 years of semi driving helps, but it is still harder backing thos 32 foot camper that the 53 foot trailer! Lol

Learned on farm equipment and old GI stuff.

After initial learning, no problems.

My first TT, a 32ft.......gave me fits.

I finally figured out it was axle placement. Now, I just back the axle.....the rest follows(or leads).
Old 04-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #60
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
Learned on farm equipment and old GI stuff.

After initial learning, no problems.

My first TT, a 32ft.......gave me fits.

I finally figured out it was axle placement. Now, I just back the axle.....the rest follows(or leads).
Bingo!

Envision where the wheels are going.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote