Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Some Thoughts on Ownership....

Over the last few years I became fascinated with the idea of Rv’ing as a form of travel. One thing has led to another and we now are part of the many that travel around with our houses in tow. The idea and urge behind our move to the RV world was that it would give me a chance to see some things in our backyard that we have not experienced and more than anything get to spend time with my kids outside in a ever changing setting. I travel quite a bit for a living and have spent my fare share of nights in a hotel room away from my family. Not exactly what I would call an enjoyable experience and anytime we vacation part of the trip seems all too familiar and stressful to me (ie. airports, rental cars and hotels). The idea of an RV seemed different to both my wife and I. Your own Bed, Linens, food and the ability to drag really anything the kids want to take along. You are not limited by the size of your suitcase. All of this sounded different and exciting to try something new.
After renting a few times (Highly recommend if you are un decided)…we jumped in head first and have not looked back. We have taken three trips since picking up the RV in February and my son is over the moon. It has taken much more effort than I ever anticipated just stocking the trailer for use. The idea for us is to hook up, fill it with food and some clothes and hit the road. We are very close to being to that stage and it feels pretty nice. I have gotten to the point that towing the unit has become a non event….I was so nervous the first time I pulled on the entrance ramp with this huge box on the hook it made my stomach upset!!!
The other thing I never expected is that it is all consuming. We have spent countless nights at the storage lot where our camper is stored organizing things, re organizing things, checking to see if it’s still there and planning our next trip. The other all consuming thing is all the stuff you end up buying….the list is endless. I now make it a point stroll through the camping sections of ANY store I go to just to take a look…you all know what I am talking about!!
In the end…it’s a bit more work than I expected but my routine is slowly getting more efficient. Hitching used to take 15 minutes now takes 7….A quick check of the tire pressures and we are off. Setting up and leveling has gotten more efficient as well however Tearing down needs improvement! If you are on the fence about testing the waters of the RV lifestyle….do your homework. Go to RV Shows and find a dealer and salesperson you like and wear him/her out showing you everything! Get out on the road….be safe and enjoy!

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

That's a great account of the events. I don't think you're any different than any other RVer. The tasks become routine and before you know it, you'll be an expert.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
The other thing I never expected is that it is all consuming. We have spent countless nights at the storage lot where our camper is stored organizing things, re organizing things, checking to see if it’s still there and planning our next trip. The other all consuming thing is all the stuff you end up buying….the list is endless.
Just like your hookup time has dwindle from 15 to 7 minutes, this will too! Just like you, every trip necessitated several trips to our TT storage location to "check" on things, and restock. Now at the conclusion of every trip we make a list of what's needed for the next trip and have it ready, hook up and go! I'm still working on the urge to swing by the camping section at the stores.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Very well put. Although we didn't rent to begin with, we have thoroughy enjoyed every bit of the RV lifestyle. My only regret is that I don't get out near as often as I want to!
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote