Old 01-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Someone sideswiped my trailer, how bad is it?

So I went to check on my trailer on my way home from work today like I usually do about once a month when its in winter storage, and came across this.

I'm going to guess this won't be a cheap fix (but yes I do have insurance). Talked to the storage place but the manager isn't in until Monday to check security camera footage. They also wouldn't give me the contact info of the person in the spot next to me either.

So, fellow RV'ers, how bad is it? What am I in for?

mikeb1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
Coach

I would guess the moulding won't be that big of a deal to repair or replace, but that hole in the fiberglass would be a concern. I'm not sure if they repair that or replace the whole section.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

I'm really interested to know what they do here.

My camper has delamination and I've heard anything from "the proper way to fix is to replace the whole side of the camper" to "I can cut it out and replace a section, paint it and you'll never know it happened".

Keep us updated. Curious what an insurance company would do.

Sorry it happened to you.

If it were me I'd throw some duct tape (I actually prefer Gorilla Tape) over it in the interim. You don't want water to get inside that wall.
007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually did cover the hole up with some aluminum tape until I could figure out what to do.

I'm headed over to Camping World in about an hour to find out what they recommend that I do in the short term to protect it, and also to find out what the repair situation might look like.

I'm also talking to my insurance agent this morning as well. Keep you updated.
mikeb1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

I had a similar experience in my storage lot. I just happen to be there one day when the guy next to me was BLINDLY backing his trailer in (blind as he was not backing straight in). He came within 2Ē of our brand new 5er when I started yelling.

I contacted the storage lot folks. Told them the story. Told them of the mysterious dent that appeared on our previous rig and asked them if they would move either me or this guy.

I believe he was totally oblivious to the damage he caused. But still he was negligent since he did not have a spotter or a line of site to what his trailer was doing.

They moved him. I put a big sign on his rig asking him to call me if he needed help pulling in or out of his slot. I would be there in 5 min. I was a nervous wreck for the two weeks that it took them to make the transition.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb1073 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually did cover the hole up with some aluminum tape until I could figure out what to do.

I'm headed over to Camping World in about an hour to find out what they recommend that I do in the short term to protect it, and also to find out what the repair situation might look like.

Aluminum tape is good stuff too.

Let us know what you find out.
007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #7

Sorry about your damage. You are joking about going to CW arenít you?
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #8

Most automobile body shops can take care of this. I had a similar experience years ago and my local body shop made it look like new.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb1073 View Post

Camping World ??? Really???
Wouldn't let them air up a tire. And at that it would probably take them 2 weeks to get to it, just to see what was needed. Another 2 weeks for them to find an air compressor, AND someone who knew how to properly use it.
Figure another 2 weeks till they could find the time to do it.
Total of 6 weeks to air up a tire.

Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #10

Had a repair done at the factory. Cut out a section of wall and repaired the frame. Patched it and you cant tell. Anyone that can fix a Corvette body can fix that. You could if you are good at finish sanding!

Tags
trailer