Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Someone sideswiped my trailer, how bad is it?

So I went to check on my trailer on my way home from work today like I usually do about once a month when its in winter storage, and came across this.

I'm going to guess this won't be a cheap fix (but yes I do have insurance). Talked to the storage place but the manager isn't in until Monday to check security camera footage. They also wouldn't give me the contact info of the person in the spot next to me either.

So, fellow RV'ers, how bad is it? What am I in for?

mikeb1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
Coach

I would guess the moulding won't be that big of a deal to repair or replace, but that hole in the fiberglass would be a concern. I'm not sure if they repair that or replace the whole section.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

I'm really interested to know what they do here.

My camper has delamination and I've heard anything from "the proper way to fix is to replace the whole side of the camper" to "I can cut it out and replace a section, paint it and you'll never know it happened".

Keep us updated. Curious what an insurance company would do.

Sorry it happened to you.

If it were me I'd throw some duct tape (I actually prefer Gorilla Tape) over it in the interim. You don't want water to get inside that wall.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually did cover the hole up with some aluminum tape until I could figure out what to do.

I'm headed over to Camping World in about an hour to find out what they recommend that I do in the short term to protect it, and also to find out what the repair situation might look like.

I'm also talking to my insurance agent this morning as well. Keep you updated.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

I had a similar experience in my storage lot. I just happen to be there one day when the guy next to me was BLINDLY backing his trailer in (blind as he was not backing straight in). He came within 2” of our brand new 5er when I started yelling.

I contacted the storage lot folks. Told them the story. Told them of the mysterious dent that appeared on our previous rig and asked them if they would move either me or this guy.

I believe he was totally oblivious to the damage he caused. But still he was negligent since he did not have a spotter or a line of site to what his trailer was doing.

They moved him. I put a big sign on his rig asking him to call me if he needed help pulling in or out of his slot. I would be there in 5 min. I was a nervous wreck for the two weeks that it took them to make the transition.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb1073 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually did cover the hole up with some aluminum tape until I could figure out what to do.

I'm headed over to Camping World in about an hour to find out what they recommend that I do in the short term to protect it, and also to find out what the repair situation might look like.

Aluminum tape is good stuff too.

Let us know what you find out.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #7

Sorry about your damage. You are joking about going to CW aren’t you?
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #8

Most automobile body shops can take care of this. I had a similar experience years ago and my local body shop made it look like new.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb1073 View Post

Camping World ??? Really???
Wouldn't let them air up a tire. And at that it would probably take them 2 weeks to get to it, just to see what was needed. Another 2 weeks for them to find an air compressor, AND someone who knew how to properly use it.
Figure another 2 weeks till they could find the time to do it.
Total of 6 weeks to air up a tire.

Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #10

Had a repair done at the factory. Cut out a section of wall and repaired the frame. Patched it and you cant tell. Anyone that can fix a Corvette body can fix that. You could if you are good at finish sanding!
Old 01-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #11

$2,000 and a long time at the body shop(anything, no matter how small, costs that much)

advice:
-wait for the video, and decide if you can place blame on the guilty party, and file an insurance claim with their insurer....

if not:

-file a claim with your own insurer, under your UM(uninsured motorists) coverage, which means you'll also have a deductible to pay, usually $250, and will probably have to also provide the insurer a police accident report, which shows that you reported this as a 'hit and run'.
-if your insurer wants to try to find the 'guilty party', and they are successful, your policy should then be relieved of the cost of the claim, and your deductible should be returned to you by the other insurer...generally speaking.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #12

x2 on 2rad4u recommending auto-body shops. Another option, depending on availability, is a boat shop. Fiberglass repair on boats is an everyday thing.

If you can get the molding parts, the auto-body shop can probably do all the repair for you.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

X2 on the repair. I think fiberglass is an easier repair than patching metal.

Another idea is to have a truck body shop repair as they have booths big enough to get it in. Many tractors have fiberglass caps and cabs these days.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Yup.....until it’s gets fixed (whatever way you choose) use some Gorilla tape on that opening. Water in between the walls will be bad news.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #15

We had a similar experience on our Rockwood Windjammer. Our neighbor at the storage lot was backing in without his wife spotting him, and his rear bumber gouged the side of our trailer. Worse than yours since the wood backing the fiberglass was also damaged. Thankfully, he's an honest guy, and went right to the office to have the manager call me. I took it to a local RV Marine repair facility for the repair. His insurance was State Farm. It cost $9,000 to repair it! They couldn't just patch the filon because it had texture and sanding the patch would have left a smooth spot. Our trailer was less than 2 years old at the time. They removed both driver side slides and replaced an 8 foot section from slide to slide along with a new fender skirt, decals and other small trim. They got the paint perfect, and it was repaired as good as new.

Same is fuy is still our neighbor at the storage lot, and I sure hope he learned his lesson (his wife says he'll never back it alone again!) since he still parks next to our new Cedar Creek.

From your picture, it looks to me like your neighbor might have hit you as he pulled out and not even be aware of it. Do you see any sign of damage on his trailer?

Good luck with the repair. I know it's traumatic, but it can be fixed. And at last in the winter, you shouldn't be without it during camping season.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #16

Sorry to hear of the damage. Fiberglass is repairable. A good auto body shop should be able to patch to almost new looking, pretty sure the trim is replaceable. Insurance Co. should have experience on who's qualified to fix. I know, Why Me ? I'm sure you're not the first. These things happen. Still sucks.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #17

So I'll tackle the Camping World item first since that seemed to be hot! Haha. I have never dealt with this before, that's where we bought it so figured it was worth asking them at least what it would take to fix (I never made it over there this morning). I had no idea local body shops dealt with RVs, you learn something new every day!

I talked to my insurance agent and he said the same thing mostly that you all did, wait to talk to the manager and review footage to see if we can see who did it, ask for the neighbor's contact info, etc before filing a claim. He said either way this will most likely end up as "vandalism" or "property damage" which won't make my rates go up.

The thing that kills me is that the spaces at this lot are a little tight (like literally maybe 24-36" between trailers), but there is plenty of room to maneuver around if you take your time. I always bring my oldest daughter to help spot me either way.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens! Thanks for all of the help and feedback so far!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #18

I've had the wonderful opportunity to watch owners (newbies I guess) take up to 20+ minutes and around 10-15+ tries to get their unit in their space at our storage facility!!!!!! Luckily I have boats on both sides of my unit.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #19

Oh that'll buff right out! [emoji857]

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #20

1st CW in Myrtle has a body shop beyond most auto-body shops!

I would use neither. A boat body repair person will come to your lot. May take 2 trips as stuff needs to fully dry before finishing. If the person is 1/2 way good you will never be able to find the ding. No one works fiberglass and matches color like a boat person.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer