Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier16 View Post
Thank you Denny B. We have sent you an E-mail requesting the information. We appreciate you sharing. 😀
X2.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #22
Canoeing and camping fun

What doesn't work

On our first trip with our 2503S we tried a body pillow to fill the space behind the sofa and at the head of the bed. It didn't work because it was too soft and fell through.
Going to try some heavy upholstery foam hopefully JoAnn fabric will have some.
Jean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #23

Our 2304KS came with two bed pillows in shams that match the bedspread. We stick those down in the gap at the head of the bed. Seems to work as far as keeping your pillow from being lost.

We also put a 1.5 inch topper on the very firm mattress and it is much more comfortable.

I read on another thread a suggestion to fold the table and put it behind the sofa during transport. Makes it somewhat easier to slip around to the refrigerator without putting the slide out.
Max the Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:58 AM   #24

Anyone try using a standard queen mattress topper and allowing the extra length to fill the gap?
Dirk Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt View Post
Anyone try using a standard queen mattress topper and allowing the extra length to fill the gap?

That's what I did, picked up a 3" standard queen topper at Costco for our 2306 Murphy bed, don't lose my pillows anymore, and it gives me a little extra room as I'm 6'3".
bradyfumbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyfumbled View Post
That's what I did, picked up a 3" standard queen topper at Costco for our 2306 Murphy bed, don't lose my pillows anymore, and it gives me a little extra room as I'm 6'3".

This is exactly what we did too.
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #27

Do you folks who have added a 3" topper to cover that gap, remove it or at least pull it toward the foot so it isn't sticking out that 5"-6" needed to cover the gap? ..... If not, your topper is sweeping the floor of that area every time you swing the bed up. There is only a 1" space between the bed and the floor when the bed is up, so your 5"-6" overhang is dragging on the floor every time. ..... Even though that area appears to be sealed off, it can get quite dusty, and actually dirty. ..... this is just to give you a heads up, if you didn't already know that, .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0602.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	140355   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0600.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	140356  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
X2.
X3...Sent you an email... thanks for sharing!
Nurse_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Do you folks who have added a 3" topper to cover that gap, remove it or at least pull it toward the foot so it isn't sticking out that 5"-6" needed to cover the gap? ..... If not, your topper is sweeping the floor of that area every time you swing the bed up. There is only a 1" space between the bed and the floor when the bed is up, so your 5"-6" overhang is dragging on the floor every time. ..... Even though that area appears to be sealed off, it can get quite dusty, and actually dirty. ..... this is just to give you a heads up, if you didn't already know that, .....

I've honestly never thought about it, but I don't pull it down. When you fold the bed up, the bottom of the topper "overhang" hits the floor and flexes out, towards the front of the camper. Any dust that it collects would be on the bottom, rather than the sleeping surface.
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
I've honestly never thought about it, but I don't pull it down. When you fold the bed up, the bottom of the topper "overhang" hits the floor and flexes out, towards the front of the camper. Any dust that it collects would be on the bottom, rather than the sleeping surface.
if you're ok with that then fine, ..... I pretty sure that not everybody has been into that area and some folks might like to know that info. ..... my repairs on our MB have carried me into there more times than I like to remember, ... we fill that gap with pillows which are removable, as do many others, .... I didn't know some folks would be using the topper idea, because anything that is not removed will end up on the floor into the dust and dirt, .... with the photos I posted, now anyone interested will know what's happening when the MB is up and can decide how they want to deal with it, ..... happy trailering, ..........

Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #31

Space behind the Murphy Bed

Quote:
if you're ok with that then fine, ..... I pretty sure that not everybody has been into that area and some folks might like to know that info. ..... my repairs on our MB have carried me into there more times than I like to remember, ... we fill that gap with pillows which are removable, as do many others, .... I didn't know some folks would be using the topper idea, because anything that is not removed will end up on the floor into the dust and dirt, .... with the photos I posted, now anyone interested will know what's happening when the MB is up and can decide how they want to deal with it, ..... happy trailering, ..........

Good pics to have, thanks for posting. Now I'll remember to shove the vacuum down there during my cleanouts to keep it from getting gross. It wouldn't matter if you pulled the mattress topper toward the foot of the bed before folding it up, gravity is going to pull it down anyhow. When I park in storage, I put the bed in the down position so the foam can store flat instead of all folded up. Possibly touching the floor while folded up is a small price to pay IMHO for the additional comfort, one night on that mattress as-is was enough to convince us of that. Now it's every bit as comfortable as home.
bradyfumbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #32

Space behind the Murphy bed

One person said that he leaves the Murphy bed down during travel.
On our 2304KS the slide out can't be closed unless the bed is up and out of the way.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyfumbled View Post
Now I'll remember to shove the vacuum down there during my cleanouts to keep it from getting gross.
I had to make access into that area when doing our MB repairs, .... and that has proven to make both cleaning and retrieving items dropped there, much easier. ... The side panels on both sides are very thin, can be cut with a carpet knife or a hacksaw blade(no frame), then easily removed and returned when finished, .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0592.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	141966   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0595.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	141967  

Old 06-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #34

Quote:
DW considers that a very nice compliment and says "thank you", ... it was a project of trial and error, ... they are 10-11" dia. and very firm, stuffed with old pillow stuffing and sewing scraps, ... the first one was one piece, full length, and was just too long to deal with, ... she cut that in half and the two work great for us, ... we wanted them big enough to have a real firm fit into that space at the head of the MB, so our bed pillows could be there and have no worry of them sliding on down, ... plus the neck/head rest they give for the sofa is very comfortable, ... not all ideas turn out as intended, this one did and we love the results, ....

Thanks for the details. I will be making a pair soon. Planning on using a pool noodle as a core (for firmness) and building up the diameter from there, I think. At least that's the beginning of the plan. The cushions behind the sofa should also help insulate hot air from the pass thru from coming up to the seating area, I hope...
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #35

Pass through hot air

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
The cushions behind the sofa should also help insulate hot air from the pass thru from coming up to the seating area, I hope...
When we're out camping in the hot Texas summers, we keep all outdoor storage shut unless we need something. Even so, the 15000 BTU AC we have pretty much runs constantly except for during the middle of the night.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #36

Yep. We found that out. We're in Texas, too. Houston.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #37

Houston as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
Yep. We found that out. We're in Texas, too. Houston.
We're in the Houston area as well. . Current favorite spot to camp is at lake Sam Rayburn. We love it up there.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
We're in the Houston area as well. . Current favorite spot to camp is at lake Sam Rayburn. We love it up there.

Howdy! Never been to Lake Sam Rayburn (25+ yrs tent camping till this month). DH is researching campgrounds there now. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion!
See ya on the road I bet!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post

A little OT from Murphy beds, but where on Lake Sam Rayburn do you like to go? I'm the DH flosmith referred to!
rls8803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #40
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I designed and built an excellent folding shelf in our 2304KS.
WASTED AN HOUR WRITING DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS HERE ONLY TO Have THEM LOST IN TRANSMISSION.
IF you can email me at guitarmechanic@att.net I will send you instructions and photos.
Denny B
Thanks in advance Denny B, email sent!

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed