Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlite2011 View Post
Lou, With the front mounted bike rack, do you know if there is restriction on the amount of depth you can have up front? I would need a bike rack that holds 4 bikes. I was going to install one on the bumper of the TT but after reading on here I don't think I want to chance it.
There is a number of inches an item can extend behind or in front of the vehicles bumper, but I don't know off the top of my head. I don't think there is a "prohibition" just you need to do something. The rear bumper extension needs a flag or lights past a certain distance for example. What goes in the front I don't know.

You might just want to buy 2 or 4 folding bikes for camping and keep them in the front of the bed ahead of the hitch.
I am curious and will try to find a reference.

Found this for CA - See the section on bus front bike carriers. No more than 42 inches from the bumper to the farthest handlebar.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d15/vc35400.htm

Found this for Florida - Page 29 - 36 inches from front bumper.
http://www.demark1.com/files/dot_manual.pdf
Florida also prohibits Non Commercial Tandems.
(trailer towing a boat for example)

Look like (as in everything) requirements vary.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #22

Thanks Lou for the info. Didn't think to check the motor vehicle dept. and plus the fact that it is probably different in each state. We live in MN so I was able to find it under the driver manual. MN is 36" in front of the bumper. I will have to check into what the hitch costs and how far a bike rack will stick out.

I have found such good info on this web site. Thanks guys!!!
vlite2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Lou, With the front mounted bike rack, do you know if there is restriction on the amount of depth you can have up front? I would need a bike rack that holds 4 bikes. I was going to install one on the bumper of the TT but after reading on here I don't think I want to chance it.
V-lite,you are from Minn.seems to me every truck there has a (Snow plow) on it. They cover the L/plate and stick way out the front. I see no problem with a front rack. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #24

That's true!! Don't really think about that because it doesn't stand out because it is so common (even grew up with one). Now the thought of bikes sticking out the front seems scary and I'm not sure I have convinced my husband yet. But what should he care, I do most (basically all) of the driving. It will be my vision that could be impaired.

Anybody else have a front mounted bike rack? How is the view? (Lou, I thought you said you had a 2 bike rack on the front.) I saw a picture on another forum site which showed a van with 4 bikes. I have 4 kids so we technically have six bikes, so I will already have some bikes in the camper but don't want to have to put all of them in there.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Here is a photo of my front two bike rack.

Don't Snow Plows have headlights on them?
What are the rules for snow plows?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 020.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	13457  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #26

I know ours (my dads) had lights that extended up above the plow and I'm sure most do. Don't really pay that much attention. I didn't see anything about snow plows specifically when I read the mn state manual earlier. When I read on some other forum sites, they cut down the main pole on the bike rack (so they are top braced units) so it didn't sit so high and obstruct there view and the headlights. I think my dad could modify one as he has a welder. I think that should work?

Lou, do you ever feel like you can't see very well right in front of your vehicle? Or have you ever went into a steep drive and the bikes drug on the ground?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Lou, do you ever feel like you can't see very well right in front of your vehicle? Or have you ever went into a steep drive and the bikes drug on the ground?
Vision over the top is great and the bikes do not obstruct the headlights at all (or very little). They do tend to "fly" a bit in gusty winds at highways speeds; thus the red tie down strap to the tow hooks in front.

Have hit parking bumpers many times and have hit pavement coming out of steep driveways (learned to try and angle my approach) with the bike rack itself.

That is why I still have the bolt on 2 inch receiver on the camper bumper.
In camp as soon as the bikes are off, the bike hitch moves from the front of the truck to the back bumper of the camper. I store the bikes on the bile rack on the back of the camper when not using them; this way they can be secured. As part of breaking camp, the entire assembly gets put back on the front of the truck.

That way we can go out to dinner or drive around town without the goofy rack on the front of the truck. hard enough to park as it is...

The nose receiver has never dug in to pavement yet. It is no lower than the plastic bumper trim.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
Mikewheel

Rear bumper bike racks

How is Forest River adding the bike platforms that hang down and are mounted to the bumper work. With all the talk of welds breaking with just a spare tire looks like this would break them for sure.
mikewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #29

The rack is not attached to the bumper but runs along the frame. I have not seen the type FR uses but have seen the style that Jayco uses. I imagine they both work on the same principal.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #30
Mikewheel

You are correct I found a pic and they mount behind the bumper as you said.

Tags
bike, bike rack