Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #21

I found it interesting that when we called to insure our most recent 36' trailer last month that during the interview process with the young lady on the phone that she suddenly states " wait, you have a cdl class A license". I said yes I do and have had for a number of years as a work requirement. She asked if I had a current medical card, to which my answer was yes. She said please hold, when she came back I was advised that I qualified for a 10% discount on my insurance on my trailer, as well as the other trailer I had insured with them already, obviously they feel the training is worth something.
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #22

We had an accident a few years ago. We T-boned an older driver coming out of his driveway onto the highway. He told the officer investigating the accident that he could not get his foot off the gas to the brake fast enough. I agree it is scary seeing people getting be hind the wheel of a car or RV and have problems walking.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
Always Learning

In Maryland, special "non-commercial" licenses are required depending on your weights.

For instance, since my GCWR on my truck and fifth wheel are > 26,001, I'm required to have a non-commercial class "A" license.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #24
DDC

I think you will find most accidents involving trailers are caused by cars cutting in and taking away the safe stopping distance that was left by the trailer op. causing him/her to take evasive action that does not end well, also the amount of accidents involving rv type vehicle combinations obviously do not justify action by the government units. Be carful what you wish for it may just cost you dearly.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #25

No special requirements that I know of in Virginia for RV driver lisc. ......... Been pulling several types of trailer here (but all under 26K) I am under 26K by a couple thousand on the fifth wheel......... The truck & trailer have to be registered for their gross weights.

My drivers lisc. just says I have no class

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote