Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Special License Endorsements

I've seen this discussion elsewhere and I think it warrants being discussed here also. Do any of you have any special license endorsements for driving your RV? As I read it most states have a requirement that if you have either a motorhome or a truck trailer combination that exceeds 26,001 pounds then you are required to have either a special endorsement on your license or a special license. How many of you have a special license or endorsement?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #2

Haven't heard of those requirements. I don't have any special endorsements, however I do believe that they should be required and a class on proper driving techniques and towing should be required if driving/towing a rig or combination over a given length. I see way to many unsafe conditions and combinations driving down the road that just terrify me.

Most states require an endorsement and special classes to drive a stinking motorcycle and what harm can they really do if they screw up, kill themselves but rearly hurt or injure someone else. The potential for harm to others with large RVs is higher I think.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I've seen this discussion elsewhere and I think it warrants being discussed here also. Do any of you have any special license endorsements for driving your RV? As I read it most states have a requirement that if you have either a motorhome or a truck trailer combination that exceeds 26,001 pounds then you are required to have either a special endorsement on your license or a special license. How many of you have a special license or endorsement?
wnytaxman,

The way I read it, in you state(NY), a "R" endorsement is required on your Class D licence for RVs with a GVWR of 26k Lbs. and up.

NYS DMV .

Information found on links in chapters of RV Driver's License Requirements , by state.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

After going through this discussion about the license requirements, which seem to be quite universal. Some states have no special requirements, while others have some fairly stingent requirements. I followed up the discussion with the question of whether anyone knows of any RV'er who has been ticketed for not having a proper license. Noone had direct knowledge of anyone getting a ticket. This certainly leans toward the non-issue except for the fact that most states are really short on cash and the sudden enforcement of the law could be a real revenue raiser. Just a word of caution for those of us who have the heavier rigs.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Most states require an endorsement and special classes to drive a stinking motorcycle and what harm can they really do if they screw up, kill themselves but rearly hurt or injure someone else. The potential for harm to others with large RVs is higher I think.
Whoa, Jeeper- We're not all crazy bonzai riders Just thought I'd respond with something you would be familiar with. A few years back kids got me flying lessons at the local airstrip. Went up with the instructor and of course they wanted me to sign up for my license. I was absolutely shocked to find out they send you up in a plane by yourself before you even have your license- Now that's scary.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #6

Here in NM you don't get an an endorsement but you may be required to get a higher class license or CDL depending on vehicle weight and length.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Here in Saskatchewan if your trailer weighs over 10,000 lbs you need a class 1 license and that requires a written test and road test with the type of trailer in question.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #8

I have been a volunteer firefighter on Long Island, NY for 38 years and have driven fire trucks that weigh over 40k lbs and have not been required to obtain a special license. We do go through training and take an EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operators Course). Had never heard about a special license requirement for RV's and would have thought that the dealer would have mentioned something if it were necessary.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Here it is only for trailers, motorhomes do not require a special license on that you do a written and practical test if the vehicle has air brakes to get your air endorsment on your regular license.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #10

I really think in the large part most all RV owners out there are very safe, concientous folks. However, I do feel that they-(all states) should require a brief safety class on towing trailers that are long and heavy. I think it would benefit us all, and may even learn something new! Then, the insurance companies could offer a discount for RV owners that have taken the class! Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote