Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Special License Endorsements

I've seen this discussion elsewhere and I think it warrants being discussed here also. Do any of you have any special license endorsements for driving your RV? As I read it most states have a requirement that if you have either a motorhome or a truck trailer combination that exceeds 26,001 pounds then you are required to have either a special endorsement on your license or a special license. How many of you have a special license or endorsement?
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #2

Haven't heard of those requirements. I don't have any special endorsements, however I do believe that they should be required and a class on proper driving techniques and towing should be required if driving/towing a rig or combination over a given length. I see way to many unsafe conditions and combinations driving down the road that just terrify me.

Most states require an endorsement and special classes to drive a stinking motorcycle and what harm can they really do if they screw up, kill themselves but rearly hurt or injure someone else. The potential for harm to others with large RVs is higher I think.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I've seen this discussion elsewhere and I think it warrants being discussed here also. Do any of you have any special license endorsements for driving your RV? As I read it most states have a requirement that if you have either a motorhome or a truck trailer combination that exceeds 26,001 pounds then you are required to have either a special endorsement on your license or a special license. How many of you have a special license or endorsement?
wnytaxman,

The way I read it, in you state(NY), a "R" endorsement is required on your Class D licence for RVs with a GVWR of 26k Lbs. and up.

NYS DMV .

Information found on links in chapters of RV Driver's License Requirements , by state.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

After going through this discussion about the license requirements, which seem to be quite universal. Some states have no special requirements, while others have some fairly stingent requirements. I followed up the discussion with the question of whether anyone knows of any RV'er who has been ticketed for not having a proper license. Noone had direct knowledge of anyone getting a ticket. This certainly leans toward the non-issue except for the fact that most states are really short on cash and the sudden enforcement of the law could be a real revenue raiser. Just a word of caution for those of us who have the heavier rigs.
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Most states require an endorsement and special classes to drive a stinking motorcycle and what harm can they really do if they screw up, kill themselves but rearly hurt or injure someone else. The potential for harm to others with large RVs is higher I think.
Whoa, Jeeper- We're not all crazy bonzai riders Just thought I'd respond with something you would be familiar with. A few years back kids got me flying lessons at the local airstrip. Went up with the instructor and of course they wanted me to sign up for my license. I was absolutely shocked to find out they send you up in a plane by yourself before you even have your license- Now that's scary.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #6

Here in NM you don't get an an endorsement but you may be required to get a higher class license or CDL depending on vehicle weight and length.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Here in Saskatchewan if your trailer weighs over 10,000 lbs you need a class 1 license and that requires a written test and road test with the type of trailer in question.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #8

I have been a volunteer firefighter on Long Island, NY for 38 years and have driven fire trucks that weigh over 40k lbs and have not been required to obtain a special license. We do go through training and take an EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operators Course). Had never heard about a special license requirement for RV's and would have thought that the dealer would have mentioned something if it were necessary.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Here it is only for trailers, motorhomes do not require a special license on that you do a written and practical test if the vehicle has air brakes to get your air endorsment on your regular license.

John & Deb
Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #10

I really think in the large part most all RV owners out there are very safe, concientous folks. However, I do feel that they-(all states) should require a brief safety class on towing trailers that are long and heavy. I think it would benefit us all, and may even learn something new! Then, the insurance companies could offer a discount for RV owners that have taken the class! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Jan Goldfield

I have one of those stinking motorcycle endorsements, but need no special license at all in Louisiana to pull 31' of RR train behind my FD truck. Doesn't make much sense, does it?
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #12

Personal use recreational vehicles are exempt from licensing restrictions here in PA and across the country they are exempt from DOT inspections.

Now, I'm not saying that I necessarily agree, or that you won't get stopped and/or ticketed. But I am saying you shouldn't be...
john.esher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

This is an interesting thread. Although this is not for the license, I just found out yesterday that Saskatchewan residents who pull a trailer and it puts the GCWR of the TV over 5000Kg (11050lbs) you must get your TV registration updated with a RGVW (registered Gross Vehicle Weight) that shows your max GCWR. In my case 17000lbs (7700Kg). You then also are given a Certificate of Safety Fitness with a National Safety Code number on it just like the big highway rigs and you must keep a copy of this in the TV at all times. And of course there is the increase to your registration of a couple hundred bux a year, even though we may only leave our yard 4 or 5 times a year. It is basically charging us road tax for high weight vehicles. This has been on the books here for a number of years but they are just starting to enforce it this year.
Nice eh.

John & Deb
Old 07-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #14

Let's see, you need a license to drive a car that's a class "D" in most states
Then you need a special license if you drive or pull trailers, a class "B" for air brakes or any vehicle over 26,000 lbs. You need a Class "A" for bigger equipment such as tractor trailers with endorsements for doubles and hazmat. Even lawn service people who have trailers with lawn chemicals need hazmat and a trailer endorsements.
And here in N.J. for those who pull trailer your registration for your towing vehicle, i.e. your pick-up
must be equal to the total weigh of your pick-up and trailer, plus what ever it is you are towing on the trailer. So if your pick-up is 5,000 and your trailer is 5,000 and you have a vehicle on it that weighs 5,000 your registration must be for at least 15,000 and you do pay for that extra added weigh on your registration.
So all in all I agree that if you are going to get behind the wheel of a vehicle that is in excess of 26,000 lbs. and to be pulling a trailer or another vehicle behind it, you should have the knownledge on how to handle it properly.
Oh and yes I do have a commerical class "A" license which I've had since they first came out, before that an articulated license when they came out, before that nothing in N.J was required. My record is clean no points no accidents....knock on wood....
Everyone Drive Safe And Be Courteous To Other Drivers, The One Life You Save Could Be Your Own...
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Whoa, Jeeper- We're not all crazy bonzai riders Just thought I'd respond with something you would be familiar with. A few years back kids got me flying lessons at the local airstrip. Went up with the instructor and of course they wanted me to sign up for my license. I was absolutely shocked to find out they send you up in a plane by yourself before you even have your license- Now that's scary.
Mike this is not entirely correct. They do not send you up alone without a license. Per FAA regulation one must obtain a Student Pilot certificate and fly with an instructor until said instructor deems you capable to fly on your own at which point you "solo" which is 3 take offs and landings on your own. From that point on you can fly on your own but only to the areas that your instructor permits and only within the local area and absolutely no passengers. Of course instruction with the instructor continues as well while you increase your learning.

Student permits can be obtained at the age of 15 and Private Pilot certificates can be earned at or after the age of 16.

Don't want anyone thinking you can just go flying without a license of some sort or any oversight.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #16

those requiements are mainly for commercial vehicles if im understanding what you are talking about .
firedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
It's not as scary as you think. The solo flight is the last step before licensing. You don't get to go up by yourself until you've past, lots and lots of test.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius View Post
It's not as scary as you think. The solo flight is the last step before licensing. You don't get to go up by yourself until you've past, lots and lots of test.
No. Solo is what happens early on, after a number of hours of flying with an instructor on board. There is no set number of hours. The instructor decides when you're ready. I did it after 8 hours of dual (with instructor) flying. More hours of dual and solo flying are required before you can then take the written and flying tests and receive a private pilot's license. So the solo is definitely not the last step before licensing.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here in Michigan they do not require and endorsements that I know of, however if you want to do something special like pull a trailer behind your fifth wheel you need to have the special endorsement called a Recreational Double.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Probably get a lot of flack over this, but what is scary are folks that can barely walk or walk with a walker driving the big motor homes 70-80 mph. Don't see any in that condition pulling trailers, but the motor homes being piloted by these folks sure scare the devil out of me. It is quite prevalent in FL. Some are even in wheelchairs, but drive motor homes. I would be in favor of a special license for mh drivers. Most have driven nothing but a car their whole lives and go to an rv dealer, buy a big motorhome and take off in it. I really believe it is an accident just waiting to happen.