Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Squeaking Noises

Hi Guys, just went out this past weekend for 3 days. Hooked up WD Hitch and Sway Bar. Set chains ob WD hitch as normal but all thru the trip terrible squeaking at all turns etc, checked setup and all was fine. What should i grease to stop this . Same squeaking when on the way to campground and also on trip home? Please help with any suggestions. Thanks Jim
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Traveling along

I'm thinking you have the sway bar toooooo tight!! Loosen 1 turn and try again. No grease!!
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Grease the trunion heads and the ball, especially the top of the ball, also grease the sway bar sockets BUT DO NOT put any grease on the sliding bar of the sway control. I would not loosen the sway bar. The sway bar will self polish after a little use and you will have to tighten it even more. When I pulled a tt, I used 2 friction sway bars and would glass bead blast the bars about every 18 months.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I will check it out this coming Friday as were out for 3 days
Old 03-17-2016, 12:30 AM   #5

I agree with Old Coot. Had the same problem last year with our old Springdale. A little grease on the hitch ball and the trunion heads and all was well. Just be aware that you'll have to be careful that you don't get grease all over your clothes when you are hooking and unhooking.
Atchelitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of wdh do you have? Different ones have different rules regarding what can and can't be greased and even what products to use. If you have a wdh with integrated sway control such as Reese dual cam or equal-i-zero, they always squeak and pop very loudly. It is unnerving until you are used to it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #7

My WDH is a Curt Manufacturing. With sway bar. I called Curt today and they suggested i take it to the dealer as they can correct any adjustments to the hitch etc. they advised not to grease the ball on the sway bar. So I appreciate all responses. I will update after i get back from dealer tomorrow. I understand the pop etc, but this is really severe to what previous noises were. Thanks Jim
Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #8

Does anyone use this exact setup by Curt and what do you think about the quality etc, and handling of this setup?

Tags
noise