Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

Stabilizing new 36' TT

We recently upgraded our tt to the forest river Cherokee 304BS. We took it out this weekend and found myself struggling to reduce the side to side shake. What do you'll do or use to stabilize your camper? I had our last camper pretty well figured out and tried the same setup with no success. This camper has 3 slides compared to the 1 in our old one. Thanks
blipka12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

A friend of mine has one that long what he does is:

Use the attached ones in the front and rear, then he added two more on each side equally spaced, so he actually has four jacks on each side and also uses scissor chocks between the wheels.
I have walked around in it and it is rock solid.
Cheaper way to "test" is to get a couple jack stands at the auto parts store that are the screw type so you can put them tight up against the frame about 1/2 down the trailer on each side and see if that helps some.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

I installed the steady fast system on my rig and it is rock solid. something to look into
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 AM   #4
Always Learning

I have 2 articles that might help:
Shake, shake, shake – RV Stabilization | Learn To RV

And:
Product Review: SteadyFast Stabilizers | Learn To RV

Basically- triangulation stabilizers, between the wheel chocks, step supports, and extra jacks.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipka12 View Post
We recently upgraded our tt to the forest river Cherokee 304BS. We took it out this weekend and found myself struggling to reduce the side to side shake. What do you'll do or use to stabilize your camper? I had our last camper pretty well figured out and tried the same setup with no success. This camper has 3 slides compared to the 1 in our old one. Thanks
I've got the exact same trailer and no issues with rocking. I put blocks under the jacks (electric) and drop them down. You're not going make a trailer "Rock Solid" unless you put it on block foundation on the frame. It would be nice if the jacks were a little farther apart to give a wider support.
You can spend a few hundred and add additional or...as I've seen at campgrounds...spend another 20 minutes to a 1/2hr putting 6-8 additional scissor jacks underneath the frame, not under the axles...that do nothing.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #6

Stablizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipka12 View Post
My 5er sits pretty high and rocked a bit so I installed the Steadyfast stabilizer system which helped a lot, but there was still some side to side motion until I put a set of Valterra stabilizers under the frame at the steps and bumper. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-0201...+RV+Stabilizer
The X chocks helped with the forward/back motion.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #7

Steady fast. Without question

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Happy Camper

I also have the Cherokee 304BS and the rocking was terrible. I bought a box of 4 stackable jacks from the camping section at Walmart. They cost me $39.95. I place 2 under the beam on each side of the trailer and the problem is gone. Problem solved at minimal cost. Hope you enjoy your trailer. Ours is a 2017 and I'm currently making a few modifications since the 1 year warranty just expired.
coroner 502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 AM   #9

How far down are you placing them? And how far apart? I have a seat of those and will try before I invest in a more expensive stabilizer system.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #10

What I've learned with our 304 this season and OP knows what I'm talking about... is the trailer sits high...I can sit upright underneath when working on it in my driveway. If I let the 4 jacks go all the way down, it decreases the span between the two backs and the two fronts and allows for more movement. I increased the height of the blocks (2x12's cut square) I have 3 each, screwed together and a box of additional single pieces to use as need under the jacks so they don't drop down as far...maybe 3" or so, and maintain a wider stance. The other weekend we had 9 people...including 3 grandkids...running around inside and side to side movement was absolute minimal. I like to experiment with what I have on hand, before spending money on additional stuff.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coroner 502 View Post
I also have the Cherokee 304BS and the rocking was terrible. I bought a box of 4 stackable jacks from the camping section at Walmart. They cost me $39.95. I place 2 under the beam on each side of the trailer and the problem is gone. Problem solved at minimal cost. Hope you enjoy your trailer. Ours is a 2017 and I'm currently making a few modifications since the 1 year warranty just expired.
If you're doing mods, be sure to look at the support inside the dinette benches. Our's collapsed this summer when in the bed position due to the way they screwed in the rail around the bench for the table to sit on. I added additional 2x2's all the way around the inside and added extra screws to the rail. I can stand on the table and bounce...not jump ...and it's more solid now.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #12

Thanks for the response. That’s what I’m gonna do this week before we take off this weekend again.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #13
Happy Camper

Blipka12, I stagger the jacks in different spots. Usually put one near the steps and one behind the tires on the front side and one under the dinette/couch slide and one behind the tires on the rear side. They do not have to be lined up with each other on the front and back. It really does make a world of difference.
coroner 502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #14
AMG

I have a 35' travel trailer and I found that the JT StrongArms helped a lot. I always use a set of X-Chocks too just to ensure even more stability. Very little movement in my trailer.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #15

Sorry new to this. Cannot find where to ask a question.

I am interested in the x-chocks. Does anyone know if they will fit the 8329 ss.?
The tires seem so close together. The trailer is in storage right now so i can’t measure the distance between the tires.
Tsmac43 is offline   Reply With Quote