Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #1

Stablilzing 8319SS

Evening,
I have a question. I know that you are supposed to level the trailer side to side with boards, plastic blocks, etc. Then level front to back with the tongue jack. I know that the stablilizer jacks are not for leveling.
Can someone use bottle jacks to help with the leveling and stabilization of the trailer? Where would these jacks be placed?
Has anyone done this and how do you like it?

Thanks,
David
Toolpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #2

David,

If you find you haven't been able to get level, backing/ forwarding onto boards then one option is to place a bottle jack between the tandem wheels, under the FRAME, and jack the trailer up to allow you to place an additional board(s) under the wheels. This sounds extreme, but is actually not that difficult. I've had to do it once or twice. A pain in the butt, but doable.

I DO NOT recommend using bottle jacks to level or further stabilize the trailer. Level under your wheels only .... then use your stabilizers to minimize inside movement. You'll never get rid of the normal 'bounce.' It's not really noticeable until you're in bed and DW decides to go down the hall for a pit stop ... or vice verca .... but it's the norm.

Reasonably firm-up the stabilizers and that's all you can do! (IMHO)

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Once you get it level side to side with your favorite item and front to back using the tongue jack. Then put your stabilizers down and put some tension on them you could use bottle jacks between the tires to take some of the bounce out. There have been a few people that added stabilizer jacks between the tires to take some of the bounce out of the tires when setup.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

As a simple function of leverage, IMHO, the further out you extend your stabilizers the more wobbly they become. Put a bunch of wood blocks or "lego levelers" under the stabilizers so they don't need to extend so far.

Helps a little. Costs nothing.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #5

boatds under stabilizers will make them more solid

i have bought a third pair of stabilizers i plan to place near my tires on the frame below. i talked with another owner of the same trailer i have and he said it helped the bounce problem. i got the extra pair on sale from CW for about $50.00