Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #1

Staying at an RV park with kids?

We're thinking of buying an FR 31qbts and heading south for the winter with our kids.

There are several concerns we have about staying at rv parks with our kids- who aren't noisy holigans that'll disturb the other folks.

I do know that the answer to many of these questions is "it depends". I'm just looking to hear what you think.

- in Florida area (or any place in the winter that's warm) are most people friendly toward rv'ers with kids?

- are there any rv parks in Florida or the southern states you'd recommend for long term winter stay?

- what places should we avoid?

Thanks,

Lars
1ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
Incheon, S. Korea

Are there places that aren't friendly towards kids? I'd suspect that they'd go out of business if they were.
Have fun on your trip!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Are there places that aren't friendly towards kids? I'd suspect that they'd go out of business if they were.
Have fun on your trip!
We've read that there are.

There are plenty of folks that simply don't want to be disturbed by kids running around and the noise they (kids) really do make.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #4

Smile

The places that discourage children will state so on their site. Usually worded as "adult only", "seniors only", "55 and older". I recommend calling the places you are interested in and asking.. Most snowbird locations will be full of seniors and not many children. Being 54 and having a 12yr old I attempt to be sensitive to the folks who may not appreciate kids and also sensitive to the kids needs to be around an environment that is fun and has other kids for interaction. If you can swing it stay at or near attractions, such as Disney, the beach etc.. and you will find a good mix....good luck and happy RVing
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
The places that discourage children will state so on their site. Usually worded as "adult only", "seniors only", "55 and older". I recommend calling the places you are interested in and ask. Most snowbird locatios will be full of seniors and not many children. Being 54 and having a 12yr old attempt to he sensitive to the folks who may not appreciate kids and also senitive to the kids needs to be around an environment that is fun and has other kids for interaction. If you can swing it stay or near attraction, such as Disney, the beach etc.. and you will find a good mix....good luck and happy RVing
'Already have called around to a lot of places just to get an idea of what to expect from the staff and the place itself. First impressions are usually lasting.

Around an attraction seems like a good idea. Those sort of rv parks look more expensive but do look nicer. I do understand that a lot depends upon the rv park and it's appearance and who they're primarily trying to attract.

We would be staying in Florida in the Winter so it's very unlikely a lot of kids would be in an RV park.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ADP View Post
We would be staying in Florida in the Winter so it's very unlikely a lot of kids would be in an RV park.

Unless you stay at Disney, but that will get expensive fast. Either way though you should be prepared for a constant turnover in kids. So having them make friends might be difficult.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

Not sure about flo. But we atayed this last winter in west/south tn neatly ms with our 3 kids and had no issues. ...prior military ? Check out famcamps in Florida. ..check out thousand trails they are all kid friendly or maybe coast to coast..but u do have to move with those. 2 weeks in one then 2 in the other but the prices are great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Forest River Forums mobile app

John and Aptil
2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke Crewcab
Full Time
qalaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #8

Their are times I wish I could leave the kids and their friends at home while we camp, it gets so loud sometimes I need ear plugs . Lol,

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by qalaen View Post
Not sure about flo. But we atayed this last winter in west/south tn neatly ms with our 3 kids and had no issues. ...prior military ? Check out famcamps in Florida. ..check out thousand trails they are all kid friendly or maybe coast to coast..but u do have to move with those. 2 weeks in one then 2 in the other but the prices are great!

Not really sure what you're trying to say.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ADP View Post
Not really sure what you're trying to say.
He's trying to say you have to pull up camp every two weeks and move to another cg. To which you'll camp two weeks and move back.

every two weeks you have to leave
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #11

I'm not sure if you can describe a KOA as an RV park, but all of them are kid and pet friendly.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
He's trying to say you have to pull up camp every two weeks and move to another cg. To which you'll camp two weeks and move back.

every two weeks you have to leave
What campground? Some government run place?
Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer3025 View Post
I'm not sure if you can describe a KOA as an RV park, but all of them are kid and pet friendly.
Ok, thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #14

My folks became "snowbirds" in 1984. They settled in a "RV" park outside of Zephyer Hills Fla. during the winter months. My kids were little, we would visit on holidays. To say the place was kid "friendly" would be a stretch. Kid tolerant may be a better description.

Kids were not allowed at or near the shuffle board courts, and were discouraged from being around the horseshoe pits.

The pool had hours of activities that were geared to the seniors, they would do their water "exercises" (stand around in the shallow end with empty one gallon milk jugs and push them under the water repeatedly) , kids were expected to stay away.

The pool closed early, kids were always bummed. If the kids rode their bikes too fast, someone would complian.

Just depends on which type of park you go to, I guess. If you land in one geared towards retired seniors, there could be restrictions.

Just my experience.
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #15

There are numerous campgrounds within thousand trails they are a camping organization you can look them up online coast to coast is a camping organization you can look them up online thousand trails is I believe 40 a month you get a month free every year and after the free month it's $3 a night they have one I know of 10 miles from Disney World coast to coast is $10 a night. We use many memberships and have yet to pay more then 300 a month for full hookup. There are also some campgrounds that allow work camping....I.e. you work for them like 12 hours a week and that pays for your stay
You would be surprised at the amount of options you have with camping fulltime or snowbirding

John and Aptil
2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Ford F350 7.3 Powerstroke Crewcab
Full Time
qalaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by qalaen View Post
There are numerous campgrounds within thousand trails they are a camping organization you can look them up online coast to coast is a camping organization you can look them up online thousand trails is I believe 40 a month you get a month free every year and after the free month it's $3 a night they have one I know of 10 miles from Disney World coast to coast is $10 a night. We use many memberships and have yet to pay more then 300 a month for full hookup. There are also some campgrounds that allow work camping....I.e. you work for them like 12 hours a week and that pays for your stay
You would be surprised at the amount of options you have with camping fulltime or snowbirding

Ok, well, if you have any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks,

Lars