Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #1

Steep grades

I’d like to visit a park in Ga. in the fall, but am somewhat hesitant about their 25% road grade up to camp. It is paved. Seems pretty steep to me. Pulling 8000 lb tt with F250, 6.2 v8, 373 gears with locking differential. No towing experience with that steep of drive. Engine screams at lesser grades when in tow mode. Any advice?
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #2

Speechless. I can’t even imagine a 25% grade! The length of the climb is going to be a key question to answer. Then, with that steep of a grade are there switchbacks? Have you seen a satellite view from Google maps or other application? What goes up must come down, so I’d be thinking about the return trip...brakes and tranny. Are there runaway lanes? I have a Ram 2500 5.7/3.73 and my TT is 8700, so my setup is very similar. The screaming engine is part of having a gasser and that’s where they make their power...up in the RPM band. Depends on how long you want to it counting in the previous factors I’ve mentioned.

What park is it?

Regards, Charlie
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
cmac7203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #3

Going up the north face of Everest ?? 25% ??
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
Lame *****

You won't be the first to do it. Watch tranny temp and don't hurry you will make it. Don't panic, relax and you'll be fine.

Is it 25% for a mile or 10. A short hump is different than a long one. But pretty much the same approach. Being it is getting into a CG I would assume speeds will not be highway and probably a 2 lane. Which is fine. Take your time no need to stress.

Flatlanders worry about getting up a hill, that is not as critical as saving brakes and not freaking out coming down. Don't panic take it slow use your lower gears and you will be fine. Don't overuse and heat up brakes and watch tranny temps.

Don't worry if others are behind you, they can wait and be hussy if they want. If you are following somebody keep plenty of space.

Going up hills is easy, coming down is where you need to be the most concerned. Main thing keep calm and don't over stress yourself or abuse brakes.

Just my take from a hillbilly that has pulled across many hills. If it is paved others have done it and if they can do it you can too.

Maggot
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #5

Steep Grade

Nope not Everest, Amicalola Falls Ga.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac7203 View Post
Speechless. I can’t even imagine a 25% grade! The length of the climb is going to be a key question to answer. Then, with that steep of a grade are there switchbacks? Have you seen a satellite view from Google maps or other application? What goes up must come down, so I’d be thinking about the return trip...brakes and tranny. Are there runaway lanes? I have a Ram 2500 5.7/3.73 and my TT is 8700, so my setup is very similar. The screaming engine is part of having a gasser and that’s where they make their power...up in the RPM band. Depends on how long you want to it counting in the previous factors I’ve mentioned.

What park is it?

Regards, Charlie

Sorry, should have mentioned park name to begin with. Amicalola Falls in Ga. Sure others on here have been there. Did it in the SUV several years ago and as I remember maybe a mile and and a half with no switchbacks and at least one maybe two pull offs at falls viewing, parking lots.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #7

I know Amicalola Fall campground, and yes, it is a very daunting task to 'climb' what is probably the single most extreme campground road in the U.S... and it is not short, probably a mile or more of up to 25% grade.
Now, 'where' and 'how' they measure this extreme grade is something to be debated, as we have driven many steep grades in our 92,000 miles across the U.S., Alaska, and Canada, including the rockies, the reality is that it is very tough and may not be something that new owners want to try to tackle. A diesel truck/tow vehicle may be preferred, though I guess gas units have made it, too, depending on the size of their tow trailers. I might not suggest a fifth-wheel of much weight or length try this.

Our diesel coach, with our Focus toad, made it to the top, but yes, it was in first gear for much of the way, and there is no 'rush' to get there as the object is to 'just' get there, not whether you do it fast or not. There's not enough traffic going up and down to worry about how 'fast' you do it.

The second issue is that once you reach the campground, you immediately realize that there is also a 'switchback' within the campground itself, at another steep grade, making it very difficult for those with longer trailers - scrapping at the hitch and the rear of the trailer is probably not avoidable.

This is a nice campground, once you reach it, and while it's on a very steep side of the mountain, each site is nicely graveled.

Be forewarned: this is not an 'overnight' campground... unless you plan to stay several nights, at least, I would not make the journey into this park, at least not for the effort it takes - though the falls are beautiful, and trails abound.

My main concern was actually the ability for my coach's air brakes to hold my 26,000lb chassis on the way down this precarious road. Thankfully I also have an exhaust brake, and had my toad driven down behind me.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #8

25 foot rise every 100 feet of road?
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Site Team

Did you read the Camper reviews here->>
Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge - Dawsonville, GA - Campground Reviews

Here is one-- The 25% grade into the campground is tough going in and coming out. Campground facilities are not well maintained. Crumbling parts of loop road in campground. Dirty bathrooms. Pros: good tv antenna reception. Free laundry. Close to Falls trailheads and overlooks. AT&T cell service is good in campground. T-Mobile doesn't work. We camped at Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge in a Fifth Wheel.

You can do it. You've got the gears for the climb and the decent. Just keep it SLOW. Good lucik!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

also, consider these two campgrounds if you are considering a VIEW from the top!

Cloudland Canyon state park, on the Lookout Mountain ridge, Rising Fawn, GA...
choose the 'rv park' campground, called the 'West Loop', as it is setup for much easier entrance, sites are wider/longer, and more open...as well as close to the 'edge' of the beautiful mountain vistas. The drive up the 2 mile main road from Trenton, Ga is steep, and there are several switchbacks, but the road is wide and nice.

Cherokee Rock Village campground, a no-hookups campground, is one you HAVE to visit! This campground is up a 3 mile steep road, from Leesburg, AL(not too far from the GA line), and is a sparse 'campground' with dirt sites, and only 10 or 12 of them, though you'll find yourself almost at the edge of the 'Rock' outcroppings overlooking the huge valley miles below! Try it, at least once!
You can climb the huge rock outcroppings, and these are amazingly large 'boulder' cliffs, which bring many climbers, hikers, and mountain repellers to the area.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

Cloudland Canyon state park, on the Lookout Mountain ridge, Rising Fawn, GA...
choose the 'rv park' campground, called the 'West Loop', .......

Agree Cloudland is a nice park. Be sure and visit Rock City!! It really is a cool place and rather historic. We still have a few of the old advertising barns around.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #12

My only suggestion would be to lock the diff and engage 4wd if you have it.

It would surprise most people how easy it is to spin the tires on a grade like that. There’s a 20 percent grade that’s a couple hundred yards long at a trout park in Mo. People always spin the tires when it downshifts to 1st
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #13

Apparently others have made the drive or the campground wouldn’t be there. Take your time. I would thing 8k lbs with a 250 won’t be any issues
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Going up the north face of Everest ?? 25% ??
What campground is this and who quoted 25%?

That’s crazy for any campground.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I know Amicalola Fall campground, and yes, it is a very daunting task to 'climb' what is probably the single most extreme campground road in the U.S... and it is not short, probably a mile or more of up to 25% grade.
Now, 'where' and 'how' they measure this extreme grade is something to be debated, as we have driven many steep grades in our 92,000 miles across the U.S., Alaska, and Canada, including the rockies, the reality is that it is very tough and may not be something that new owners want to try to tackle. A diesel truck/tow vehicle may be preferred, though I guess gas units have made it, too, depending on the size of their tow trailers. I might not suggest a fifth-wheel of much weight or length try this.

Our diesel coach, with our Focus toad, made it to the top, but yes, it was in first gear for much of the way, and there is no 'rush' to get there as the object is to 'just' get there, not whether you do it fast or not. There's not enough traffic going up and down to worry about how 'fast' you do it.

The second issue is that once you reach the campground, you immediately realize that there is also a 'switchback' within the campground itself, at another steep grade, making it very difficult for those with longer trailers - scrapping at the hitch and the rear of the trailer is probably not avoidable.

This is a nice campground, once you reach it, and while it's on a very steep side of the mountain, each site is nicely graveled.

Be forewarned: this is not an 'overnight' campground... unless you plan to stay several nights, at least, I would not make the journey into this park, at least not for the effort it takes - though the falls are beautiful, and trails abound.

My main concern was actually the ability for my coach's air brakes to hold my 26,000lb chassis on the way down this precarious road. Thankfully I also have an exhaust brake, and had my toad driven down behind me.

Thank you for the info. I think we’ll pass on that one. There are several others not far away with less risk. Both Vogel and Unicoi look nice.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #16

I would drive it first without the trailer and then decide. If 25 % is accurate, that is steep by any standard. That is hard to walk up.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #17

I used to have a 20% driveway. It was tough getting out of there with a trailer. I couldn't even imagine going up one steeper let alone going for miles.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #18

Using gearing is what will do it. If you have low range this might be one place to use it. I think the speed limit is only 15 mph and it's not a constant 25% but 25% at the worst point. I would say it looks like 18-20% for most of it, still a steep road but there are worse and at least that one is wide and paved with gradual corners. I'd be more worried coming down. I'd say 2:40 to 3:05 looks like the 25% part from this video
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #19

ps here is the grade chart. It averages 13% but you can see the 25% for that short distance.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #20

My wife and I went up there on a hiking trip 2 summers ago. I couldn’t believe there was a campground when we got to the top. Our camper was in Blairsville. And then I couldn’t believe that there were several large fifth wheels in that campground. Wow is all we could say. No way I would try it! Just get a reservation and stay a night at that luxury hotel on top.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote