Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

SticknBond glue on my carpet

Repaired some rot on the exterior floor of the slider. When I pulled it in the SticknBond repair rubbed off and left some sticky residue on the carpet. I discovered this when I set the slider back out.
What can I use to get this off without dissolving the glue backing to the carpet? I tried denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner I had in the garage. They made it gummy without really picking up the residue on the cloth I was using.

TV 2012 Chevrolet Silverado CC 5.3
TT 2007 Puma 30QBSS
Reese 12000 WDH
Reese Anti-sway bar
mwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #2

I used isopropyl rubbing alcohol to remove remaining glue from stickers on cars and my old camper. Don't know if it would work on carpet but for the price, is worth a try. It worked great with some rubbing tho....

Stephane, computer tech.
2015 Coachmen Clipper 17BH 50th Anniversary.
Fun Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

Best bet is to cut it out and patch a piece in.Pretty easy to do .
Get a piece under a cabinet or bed.Cut a square out of the damaged piece and trace cut the new piece.and use a good hot melt glue gun and done .
Make sure the nap is running the same way and out of the glue
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #4

SOLVED...... Contractors Solvent

Went to Ace Hardware and browsed the solvent isle.
Came across an item like Goo Gone except it is called Contractors Solvent. A Orange cleaner.
Takes tar, adhesives, caulking, etc out of clothes, off walls, good on carpet, metal, wood, plastic, etc...

I bought the bottle, 10 bucks.

Sprayed it on the area to be cleaned and let it set a few minutes as per the instructions. Had an old t-shirt as a rag.
Wiped the area and the SticknBond adhesive came right off the carpet. The little bits that were embedded deeper pulled off the carper also.
Had a spot that had some tar or asphalt on it, about the size of a dime. Sprayed it and it came right off.

This stuff works and it did not get deep to mess the adhesive backing to the carpet. It does warn on the bottle you have to be careful when cleaning carpet with the product.

TV 2012 Chevrolet Silverado CC 5.3
TT 2007 Puma 30QBSS
Reese 12000 WDH
Reese Anti-sway bar
mwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Dolphballs
I'm a 15 year floor layer.

The best thing to use is a solvent called Afta. Lowes and Home Depot or even your local flooring store should have this. If that's not an option, use charcoal lighter fluid.

Either way you will want to take a clean WHITE rag and pour a small amount on the rag and blot. Remember you can always add more solvent if needed. Also if blotting isn't working, go ahead and lightly rub. Rubbing too vigorously will cause your carpet to fuzz.
Dolphballs is offline   Reply With Quote