Old 12-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Still not believing this happened

Thankful to be posting this afternoon. Let me tell you why.
Left from here(Va Beach) friday around three with the Shamrock in tow for Ashland to stay there till Monday. Well the trip was going Ok I would say, traffic was heavy but we were making way. Got on I-295 and we were ten minutes from the exit when the scare of a lifetime hit us. Made a lane change to the left to prepare for the split onto I-95 when it felt mushy just as I straightened and made it to the middle of the lane. The trailer swayed bad, I accelerated a touch and thought i had it but it kept on but worsening more. Within a short distance we spun completely around and stopped in the middle of traffic. The truck was upright,camper was not. The LP tanks were wedged against the bumper and lifting the passenger rear in the air. Scary scene with them leaking. The trailer hitch was still attached, the neck was bent on the TT. Thankfully nobody else weas involved. Scary part was I had no time really to reach for the TT brakes it happened so fast. We are ok today but I have to say the camper is looking bad. The truck was drivable to the motel we stayed at the night at and I made a discovery that explains alot.

Initially we thought a big rig behind us rushed up way too fast and made us loose like that. Turns out I noticed a nail in my rear drivers side tire while looking at the damage. Pressure was down to 10psi. Sounds like a likely culprit. I was ticketed for failure to maintain but I am going to pray that will be nullified after this being brought to the attention of the judge. At the scene it was not noticeably bulging excessively because of the tires being load range E and it being night-time as well as no trailer load anymore. I checked all four before we left.

Luckily we have the TT insured. I am still a little in the dark about what the whole procedure with be. There are numerous structural cracks inside and out, the awning tore clean off as it slid door side down. We cleaned our belongings out and am awaiting to hear from the insurance people tomorrow as the office was closed when I called. Maybe they will fix the truck as well I don't know. The policy is so confusing.

We have towed this trailer quite a bit this first year and never felt sway more than a little from wind direction. That is what has us shaken so badly.

Sam and Tonya
Glad to be Home

Equal-I-zer
samsc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow! I'm glad your family members are all safe! It really sounds like you know what you are talking about and how to handle things. That's what makes your story extra scary. Almost like it could happen to anyone. I hope everything works out OK for you.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #3

Wow! PTL you are ok and life will go on. I would fight with the court on the ticket and with the ins company, thats what you pay them for. Good luck with all that.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

I don't think it's all that unusual, as I've seen more than a few similar twisted wrecks, all jacknife/spinout situations. Number one reason why we tow a fifth.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

Really glad to hear you survived the accident unhurt. That could have be a nasty situation. This is a good reminder to us all that the trailer will always take control if given the slightest opportunity. Good luck with the repair of the trailer and defending the cause of the accident. BTW, don't let this mishap turn you off on RVing, just chalk it up as one of those days.
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #6

Oh we will be back because we enjoy it so much. It was a freak accident, real bad day and hopefully the insurance people take care of it. There is nothing like steaming a bunch of clams at night in the quiet with the stars having a nice time with your camper. We will be back.
Equal-I-zer
Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #7

Wow, that's scary. Good luck with the insurance company. Who do you have if you don't mind me asking?

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

Blue Sky is the RV insurance.
Equal-I-zer
Old 12-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #9

What hitch were you using to haul your the 183?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #10

Oh, not familiar with them. Did you have replacement coverage? I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I can't see a trailer that's been flipped be salvageable...can it?

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote