Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #1

Still waiting

So we ordered our 2014 XLR Viper305V12 around August 6-7. It's ready and awaiting dealer pick-up!! We live appro. 10 hrs away......it's like waiting for your parents to wake the heck up on Christmas morning. Patience. Reeeeeaaaaalllly hoping to have it for Cross Country meet in Rochester next weekend....
aallabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #2

Congrats and enjoy!!
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #3

DO NOT rush your Pre-delivery inspection (PDI). It's an utmost important step in the buying process and if there is anything you don't like or is malfunctioning during the PDI, don't take delivery even if it means changing your plans. Make the dealer correct the problems if any right there and then or have him put you up for the night in your trailer in their yard. A 10 hour commute is way too long to have to do it several times. Try not to pick it up on a Friday. If it needs work, you may be screwed until Monday.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

X2. If you pick it up and then discover issues. You have to get in line for warranty work. That can take weeks. Hopefully your dealer is not like that. Anyway, congratulations and I hope you have many fun and exciting trips.
Greytdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! Waiting IS the hardest part.

Now, on to the practical nature of this process...

Once the camper is delivered to your dealer, they will take some time to inspect and fix items that they find (assuming they are good). Then, they schedule a pickup with you. At that point, let them know you want to conduct your PDI and have a run through of the systems by a tech (which is a service they should provide anyway).

Print out a PDI checklist from FRF or somewhere else and plan on a few hours. Do not sign the acceptance paperwork until you have completed the inspection. Usually, everything goes smoothly except of a few inevitable minor items. But, occasionally, something BIG is found by you. They are more compelled to complete the warranty work ASAP if the sale has not been finalized.

Once home, do a night of driveway camping before your trip.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #6

My dealer is 7 hours away. I did everything as mentioned above. Then as soon as I drove it off the lot I towed my camper to the nearest state park and camped for 2 nights checking and double checking everything I could think of. Then I hauled it home. I had the owner of the dealerships cell phone number in hand the whole time I was camping and traveling.

And 90 days later (7 camped), I haven't found any major issue and I am still very pleased with my purchase.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

During the wait we had I kept busy by doing a ton of research about what I might need/want/could not live without in the way of tools and other rv related accessories.

Time went by much faster.....
Old 09-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #8

X2 on Bryan... statements. A shake down stay on a CG close to the dealer may allow you to find things the dealer has to fix before you made your trip back home. As stated a 20 hrs roundtrip my be avoided by this.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oops - didn't see the 10 hours away from the dealer part. Absolutely plan to camp close by when you pick up!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote