Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Stink Bug plague

Last September in the mountains of N.C. the stink bugs descended like locusts. There were thousands of them on everyone's camper for an entire week, and most folks had never seen anything like it.

So we camped monthly through the winter and now into this spring, and we continue to find some of them on each camping trip. They have survived freezing temps and oppressive heat. A couple of weeks ago we were camping for a week and probably found 20 of them crawling around.

We tried the method of placing a container of soapy water in the camper with a light shining on it to attract them. We didn't capture even one.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of any other method for putting an end to these things? I even found a couple of lively ones in the cab of my truck today.

Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

Just keep vacuuming them up with the shop vac. They invaded us here in PA back around 2009 or so and have been here ever since. We had a brutal cold winter 2 years ago which seemed to knock them back a little. Get used to them they're here for good.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

We had them in VA a few years back. When I moved I found the huddled behind pictures, in the closets and everywhere else. I used TALSTAR on the outside of the house and it killed them by the hundreds and did seem to help keep them away.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

Thanks for reminding me that it is time to spray for them again. I also use Talstar.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #5

we were there, months after coming home we found them inside the MH, I am hoping they are all dead by now, were are headed back in a few weeks, hope they are not as bad this year
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
Gold Miner At Heart

I feel your pain. I live in the NC mountains. We eventually put out no-mess big bombs off in our camper and it killed all of them. As far as the house; well that's a different story. They can hide in the walls and under and behind stuff. I can't stand them or the smell they put off. My wife is terrified of them. Several years ago we had all the lady bugs descend on us and we thought that was awful but after the stink bug plague we welcome back the lady bugs.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
I am hoping they are all dead by now
killed two more yesterday in the trailer here at home, ....we got them last summer during a one week camp about two hours away and have been finding them in the trailer ever since,..... amazed at how many got into the trailer during that time and how long they can survive, ........have never had any here at home, ....... so they can live a long time ,.........happy stink bug free trailering

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

Is the Talstar safe around pets?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

I sprayed some Terro stink bug foam in the TT last week. I have heard good things about this stuff. I will see next week when we go camping. It also kills boxelder bugs, which we have just as bad as the stink bugs.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Is the Talstar safe around pets?
Not while it is still liquid, but once it dries (pretty quickly) it is safe around pets.
If you want to simply spray individual bugs, I have found HotShot to be more effective than Raid.
Stink bugs can flatten themselves out and squeeze through the gasket on your refrigerator door. I opened a coffee pot and found three of them down in the bottom.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #11

They are horrible. Infested our log home in VA two years before we sold it and moved to FL. Infested our prior FW being used in VA and we brought them to FL where most of them died off. Infested the newer FW when we visited VA in January last year. Still found a couple dead here and there and removed them when we traded it in yesterday. I never found anything that really killed them off except the FL heat, probably when the RV was in storage.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I sprayed some Terro stink bug foam in the TT last week. I have heard good things about this stuff. I will see next week when we go camping. It also kills boxelder bugs, which we have just as bad as the stink bugs.

Terro seems to work. Lots of dead ones when we setup yesterday.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote