Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

Stink bugs in camper

We just bought our camper it’s a 31ft with 3 slide outs. Took it out the week after 4th of July and everything was great. Took it home parked it and powered it up and opened up all 3 slides to clean it and get it ready for the next trip. October 5 2018 we take off for a weekend trip to Breaks International Park Virginia/Kentucky line. I get it leveled up and open all the slide to find a infestation of stink bugs. Any clue of what I can do to prevent this from happening. They where in every corner and storage compartments. It was a mess. We worked for hours clean again and airing out the camper.
bailey41514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #2

Hi,

Not just campers have them. I was staying in Iowa at a Holiday Inn Express last week, and there was one in the sink when I went to brush my teeth.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

Dealer where we bought ours in 2012 was in an area that was loaded with them. Worst part, they had the door open! Still have not gotten rid of them. Pop up every now and then dead/alive. That's 6 years, Good luck!
Old 10-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Ive lived in south west Michigan most of my life and never remember stink bugs till last year. last fall and this fall they are awful. My house and camper. I guess they try to get in looking for a place to ride out winter. I don't know if there is a way to stop them. They look for holes and gaps all over to get in.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #5

You just get used to them. We keep a partially filled water bottle handy. Trap the bug with the bottle opening and they drop into water and drown. Other than being a nuisance they don’t damage anything.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

They are a pain we have them where we live. Our camper had about a million of them one fall. (Filled a small bucket with them. We started leaving the camper in Myrtle Beach as they have not moved that far south ....yet !

They are the worst in fall and spring here anyway. I am seeing a few in our area now. Nothing you can do to keep them out. If you use a vacuum to pick them out, use one than you do not mind ruining........... it will stink forever after that.

Thank you China for the import.......................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #7

I love stink bugs. Set up several traps and when i catch enough. We fry them up in olive oil and then coat them with juice of 1/2 a lemon. Taste as good as any scallop you've tried.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
I love stink bugs. Set up several traps and when i catch enough. We fry them up in olive oil and then coat them with juice of 1/2 a lemon. Taste as good as any scallop you've tried.
LMAO...

stink bugs have a bazillion places to hide in my camper...

a small Handi-Vac with a crevice attachment helps control them when you find them inside

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #9

Just got back from Raystown Lake Pa, COE project. Rained first few days, no stink bugs. Sun came out, got warm, stink bugs started to arrive early afternoon, working their way in along the slide out channels, at the seal flap intersections. I put the slides in while we were out. It helped. When we got home to our storage area Tuesday, I put the slides out to unload the trailer and noticed dozens of stink bugs gathered along the inside flanges of the slides. I swept them off but I'm sure they are inside. This time of year they can really disrupt your enjoyment of the outdoors. I've learned not to squash them, smell seems to invite more. Good idea to knock them into water and take outside. I have, in the past, fabricated corner blockers out of foam window air conditioner insulation. I place a piece on the outside of each slide corner where their may be a gap and push it in. I bend the 2" x 2" insulation into a 90 and let 6" run up the side and across the top (or bottom). Just don't forget to remove them before you put the slide in. Check your window screens also. They may not be as tight as they appear. They also hang around the door and slip right in when your not paying attention. Good luck.
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #10

We had them on our camper after we had warranty work on it. Would fly in my hair! Finally got rid of them. Atlanta area. I saw one in a cabin we are in in N Ga last night. Too high up to get to.
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #11

I heard that peppermint oil ... 2 cups water and 10 drops mint oil... haven't tried it but we have our share here in KY
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #12

stink bugs

They like tomato's, wood laying on the ground and other places to get into. We had them all over the house outside and they were getting inside. So finally called a pest control person we knew and he came and sprayed the outside and now all gone. You have to spray the outside to keep them from coming inside.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
So finally called a pest control person we knew and he came and sprayed the outside and now all gone.
any idea what was sprayed to get that protection?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #14

Just mixed up some peppermint essential oil and water. Will try it tomorrow.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #15

stink bugs

I do not know but any pest control company can spry for those. Cooks did once.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #16

Had an infestation of them about four years ago at home. They were everywhere. Shortly thereafter my wife started keeping free range chickens and after that we rarely saw a stink bug (or any other bug for that matter). Chickens are gone now (too much trouble when we're gone a week or two a month in the RV) and I'm starting to see the stink bugs again.

Yes, I know this doesn't help the OP with his problems, but perhaps a useful observation for those who may have them at home.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #17

We keep a spray bottle with just a little Dawn dishwashing soap and water mixed up. When we see them out side or on our screen room we spray them with that and very shortly after that they are dead.
adrinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #18

I don't think there is a solution.

During this time of year for the last 3 years, we have had an invasion of stink bugs in the south. Both at home and in our RV. I don't know that there is a solution. Luckily, they don't bite or do anything destructive. They are just an annoyance and they, stink, of course. Wishing for the first frost!
lailap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrinkard View Post
We keep a spray bottle with just a little Dawn dishwashing soap and water mixed up. When we see them out side or on our screen room we spray them with that and very shortly after that they are dead.

Thank you. I think I’m going to try this.
bailey41514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #20

I live in SE Michigan and they have been here for a year, maybe 2. They are GROSS. They manage to get in any crack and we have them in the house. I've found dead carcasses in my TT, which sounds like a blessing (vs. live ones).The smell when you squish them is GROSS. So is the sound. I'll be mixing up some peppermint essential oil/water as well as Dawn dish soap and water and picking up a couple of spray bottles tomorrow.

They may not hurt anything, but they make my skin crawl. Heaven help me if I get one in my hair like another member said. I can't even think about that. Gotta stop writing, I'm all itchy now
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, camper