Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

StL RV Show Thoughts and Pics

A few thoughts and pictures from our trip to the outdoor St. Louis RV show today. With the bad weather we had Friday and the iffy weather on Saturday, the show was packed with people on this beautiful Sunday.

Wouldn’t you know it, we’re looking for a motorhome and the show had a lot more travel trailers and fifth wheels than motorhomes. We only found one motorhome that we liked and that was SOB. The only FR motorhomes on display were made by Coachmen…not a fan. For some reason Coachman skimps on electrical outlets in the kitchen. Case in point, the one Class A Mirada on display only had one unusual outlet in the kitchen. Here are a couple of pictures.
I looked for quite a bit for an outlet. Nothing under the overhead cabinets, nothing on the side or the front of the lower cabinets and drawers.

I finally discovered this popup outlet in the countertop just to the right of the window. One kitchen electrical outlet doesn’t cut it for me.

On the forum there was a discussion about the composting toilet, lo and behold one of the vendors was selling these toilets. Not cheap, sale priced $875. Thanks, but no thanks.

I guess I’ve never noticed this on R-Pods before, but there seems to be a tribute to FROG in the form of a decal on the side of the trailer.

There was an Aliner with roof extensions on display. That seemed like a good idea…as long as it doesn’t leak on rainy days.

I’ve been seeing these Retro trailers at the shows for the last few years but I think they are way overpriced. This one was sale priced at $22,250.

I wish there would have been more Class A and Class C's on display but overall it was a good RV show.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I’ve been seeing these Retro trailers at the shows for the last few years but I think they are way overpriced. This one was sale priced at $22,250.

I wish there would have been more Class A and Class C's on display but overall it was a good RV show.
I thought the retro trailers were exceeding well done and cool as hell. I think they were overpriced, but then again, so were a lot of them.

I saw a very small camper, like 19 or 20 feet, with NO slides and they wanted $33,600 for it. I'm like "That's Airstream money, but it ain't an Airstream." I wish I could remember who made it, I think it was a Lance.

On the whole, though, I must say that St. Louis has probably the WORST dealers in the nation. I won't name names, but I spoke with one about the new trailer we are going to get, and the guy acted like he had to take a poop really bad or something. He tried to disengage from the conversation twice, and I finally said, "Well, if you don't want to try to sell me a trailer, there is always someone else" and left him standing there.

The other dealer, which is one that I had such a bad (for them) experience with when I bought my Roo, exhibited such indifference that I even caught an eye-roll from the FR company rep standing there. After I found out the older guy was an FR rep, we had a lovely conversation about the Goshen rally and other things.

It seemed that EVERY single salesman from every company had the attitude that if you weren't looking at something in the $50k and up range, they did not want to even give you the time of day. I felt like they were afraid that if they took the time to talk to you, the were gonna miss out on the whale that was going to buy a $400K motorhome.

And they wonder why I buy from RVW.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

StL RV Show Thoughts and Pics

I was there too.....if you saw a family attempting to take a look at this year's offerings with two kids who were clearly not having any of it...That was us. We spent the afternoon Chasing them from unit to unit to climb into their prospective bed only to get in to a screaming match because the other wanted the top bunk. If it didn't have a bunk....their displeasure was announced to anyone in a 50' radius.

I agree about the Stl area dealers. Especially the one selling rockwood. My dad purchased from them and has not been satisfied to say the least.

I did like the new rockwood/flagstaff trailers. Really liked the front window that's new although that might be a pain to keep clean.

We are in the market for the "classic" bunkhouse floor plan but we don't see it often. Most all manufacturers have it but everyone seems to be gravitating to the "residential" feel in their trailers with the residential price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post

I agree about the Stl area dealers. Especially the one selling rockwood. My dad purchased from them and has not been satisfied to say the least.

I did like the new rockwood/flagstaff trailers. Really liked the front window that's new although that might be a pain to keep clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I’ve never been too impressed with the St. Louis area dealers either. I bought my Silverback in Cape Girardeau, MO.

I liked the look of that front window on the Flagstaff/Rockwood too. It reminded me of the front of the Aviators.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Broken Toe

Our new one is going to either be a Flagstaff Ultra 832IKBS or the Rockwood Signature 8329SS, which are for all intents and purposes the exact same trailer.

I gotta admit that I really like the look of that front window, and the wife says it really opens up the feel of the bedroom

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Our new one is going to either be a Flagstaff Ultra 832IKBS or the Rockwood Signature 8329SS, which are for all intents and purposes the exact same trailer.

I gotta admit that I really like the look of that front window, and the wife says it really opens up the feel of the bedroom

Tim
Pam loved the openable window on the Microlite until the sun in the morning woke her up. Since then it has remained closed.

in regards to the Show, we were there and saw very few trailer we were interested in. In all fairness, we have a specific criteria that is hard to meet. Under 30ft, Fifth wheel and we want a solid floor. Favorite floor plan was on display, Flagstaff 526rls, but we are looking at the seemingly better built Sandpiper 25rls

Our Flagstaff dealer has been okay. I can't complain too much, but there are only 1 salesperson i would work with or the finance manager.

on the other hand, 47 west lost a sale of a fifth wheel because their salesperson was so stupid. ( i had a deposit in pocket)

Next year, we should have a meet up. I am looking forward to seeing Cowracer and Oakman in Amana in a couple of days.

I also want to hear the truck muffler mod that Ryand did. An extra 1-2 mpgs sound nice
Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

Didn't even know...

I didn't even know that the Lou was having a show. I may have driven in for something to do last weekend. Looks nice, I would love to do an outdoor show. Where did they hold it?

The Kansas City Show will be coming up again in January, so until then....

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Some guy in back...

We have a '16 8329ss and your wife is right-it really does open up the bedroom! Our last three trailers did not have a front window and we think it makes a huge difference in the feel of the bedroom and the amount of natural light you can have in the whole front of the trailer.
The new curved front looks great and if you want a trailer that long and like the floor plan, I (obviously) think it's a terrific choice!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
I didn't even know that the Lou was having a show. I may have driven in for something to do last weekend. Looks nice, I would love to do an outdoor show. Where did they hold it?

The Kansas City Show will be coming up again in January, so until then....
Its a strange show, never really advertised to my knowledge. Free admission and typically in a mall parking lot. Its a crap shoot here in the late summer/early fall weather wise as you know being from KC. Most of the local dealers are there, not many of the booths for campgrounds and such. Then they typically have a show at the convention center around January like most other midwestern cities.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I’ve never been too impressed with the St. Louis area dealers either. I bought my Silverback in Cape Girardeau, MO.

I liked the look of that front window on the Flagstaff/Rockwood too. It reminded me of the front of the Aviators.

I missed getting that new front by 3 months! Bought my 8311ws in late June (2017 model) and I guess they changed the front end just after that.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #11

Old White and Green Camper Brings Back Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I thought the retro trailers were exceeding well done and cool as hell. I think they were overpriced, but then again, so were a lot of them.

I saw a very small camper, like 19 or 20 feet, with NO slides and they wanted $33,600 for it. I'm like "That's Airstream money, but it ain't an Airstream." I wish I could remember who made it, I think it was a Lance.

On the whole, though, I must say that St. Louis has probably the WORST dealers in the nation. I won't name names, but I spoke with one about the new trailer we are going to get, and the guy acted like he had to take a poop really bad or something. He tried to disengage from the conversation twice, and I finally said, "Well, if you don't want to try to sell me a trailer, there is always someone else" and left him standing there.

The other dealer, which is one that I had such a bad (for them) experience with when I bought my Roo, exhibited such indifference that I even caught an eye-roll from the FR company rep standing there. After I found out the older guy was an FR rep, we had a lovely conversation about the Goshen rally and other things.

It seemed that EVERY single salesman from every company had the attitude that if you weren't looking at something in the $50k and up range, they did not want to even give you the time of day. I felt like they were afraid that if they took the time to talk to you, the were gonna miss out on the whale that was going to buy a $400K motorhome.

And they wonder why I buy from RVW.

Tim
When I was a kid, my dad bought an old camper like the white and green one shown in these pictures and dragged our family of three all the way from Florida to California and back. He pulled it with a 1953 Ford sedan and he welded a farm milk jug on the trailer tongue to carry extra water for driving across the deserts. It came in handy because the car's radiator would us up water like crazy. We went in mid-summer when it was so hot in Arizona that you had to close the windows to keep from getting burned. There was no AC in the car or the camper in those days.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

Dallas Show going on today ! !

Just wanted to say that my wife and I were very impressed by the Dallas Market Hall RV Show. Not going this year, but went the last two and bought a new unit while there. Only saw one mean salesman . . . most were friendly and very helpful. The Dallas show is going on today thru Sunday. If you're in the market, make the trip. Far bigger then the Ft. Worth show and lots of vendors too. September 15 - 18th.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #13

I have 2012 Georgetown 360 DS For Sale well kept contact me if interested
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show