Old 02-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #11
I built my pad out of 6-8 inches of crusher run, compacted to a fair thee well. I get the benefits of a reasonably hard/firm base (not good as concrete but better than gravel , good drainage and indulging my desire to pinch pennies. If I choose to top it with concrete, my base is already prepped.

fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #12
I side with the folks recommending concrete. It's a one time deal, you can slope it so that it drains and you don't have to worry about it. Over time your tires will make ruts in the gravel and you'll have to smooth it out.In any case, always put boards, rubber, etc. under the tires. The alkalinity of the gravel or concrete and leach out your tires.

Good luck on your new rig. New to camping or is this another rig?

tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Part of our preparation for getting the TT we want is widening our driveway so we have room to park it, as it will not fit in the carport space the PUP occupies. We are using concrete pavers, both for the place where we'll walk to access the trailer, and for the widening the driveway so we can drive around it. Paying more attention to level on the driving side than the walking side; the TT will sit on the originally-poured concrete.
Ash and Jim
and Wee Dram the Westie
2014 Rockwood HW276; 2008 Ford F150 V8 5.4 ltr. King Ranch
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
Amen to the pitch away from your building....don't know where you live but the north side of a building will get little sun so consider snow/ice/mildew from lack of sun.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
I use a combination of both, I have a gravel pad and poured rectangular concrete pads big enough to park on, never had an issue with concrete reacting with the tires. just make sure you use a good quality concrete and it would not hurt to add some cement to the pre bagged concrete you get from HD or Lowes as they are cheap mixes. Would like to do the whole pad in concrete to get rid of the weeds but don't want to spend the money.
Mike, Lisa and Jake
2002 Ford F250 CC 7.3
2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
Mod free 5er
We park on our concrete drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Silverado 1500 with 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS (1).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	305.8 KB