Old 02-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Storage - concrete pad, or gravel?

We just ordered a new Georgetown 364TS today, so we have 4 - 8 weeks before we pick it up. We're looking at storing it on our property, along the North side of our house. With that said, I'm wondering what I should do to prepare for parking it there.

Is it best to pour a big concrete pad? Or put down the small, compacted gravel? Or big, uncompacted gravel? or what???

Dweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Concrete would always be the best if you want to spend the money. I honestly like gravel so any rain drains away and the tires never sit in puddles. I always put my tires up on boards or leveling blocks and keep the tires covered. I've had enough issues wi trailer tires over the years and a little extra care will get you another season out of them.

Maxhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Roger and Paula
We put down shell (no gravel pits here), allow for drainage as opposed to runoff. Installer removed the grass, put down grass barrier, then poured the shell over it.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
As far as your rig is concerned, either one is fine. You'll probably want to board under your tires either way. I think a lot of the difference is initial cost and upkeep. Concrete is a one time deal. It's cleaner tracking in and out of your rig, it's sturdier if you want to do any jacking for under rig work or mess with your tires... all around it's just 'nicer' surface area to work on/around.

Gravel on the other hand.. it's very inexpensive, more likely to require ongoing maintenance.. weeding, relevelling from time to time, etc. It's not the nicest surface for getting in and around on... especially if you need to get under the belly.

I prefer the aesthetics of a gravel pad area over a concrete slab.. but I would still go with concrete over gravel.

Given my personal choice.. I would go with an aggregate surface pad :-)
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
I did gravel but I still park on boards. I don't know why but I do. I used to do it so as not to sink into mud but that's not a problem anymore. When I put the gravel pad in I ran a drain line to my septic tank so I have a dump station and being next to a shed with power I ran a dedicated receptacle for the RV.
2004 Wildcat 28BH
2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7CTD
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
How much room do you have for your pad? City limits or County, Some restrictions could apply to RV Parking... Are you planning on a Cover or RV Port? If so then I would think concrete would be best.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #7
IMO I would spend the bucks and do concrete and forget about it...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #8
We installed our concrete pad just two years ago and love it.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
Bang for the buck would be gravel. Im a home builder and use concrete all the time, but when I did mine I did pea gravel six inches deep and tamped it for compaction. I agree with the others, good drainage and does what you need. There really is nothing aesthetically pleasing about concrete. I too place 2x12 pressure treated boards under tires and cover them. It's all you need. Think about the extra cash you will have for the RV on $ saved.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
I recommend concrete. When you pour the pad, Just slope the concrete a 1/4"/ foot in the direction away from the building. That way, the water will never pool on the pad.

Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote