Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #41

What state is your property? Love to hear success stories like yours.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I always did things backwards in life, I had my house paid off before I started a family, 2.5 acres and room for my construction equipment, multiple RVs and more. Now on 15 acres with indoor storage for my RV, boats and 6 cars. Watching the way people always need extra space I bought a 1.4 acre commercial lot and built a storage facility, some rv, boats, cars, and some personal units. Built it in 2003 and it was 50% reserved during construction and we have had a waiting list for years. I have only one big indoor unit 20x50 with a motor home in it 350mo been there about 4 years.
That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #43

I'll consider myself one of the lucky ones. I have a paved parking pad on the garage side of my house. And since we live in a gated community, it's really safe there.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #44

My property is in the Sierra foothills near Yosemite. Home of the crooked mismanaged government. That is the downside, being in this rural county is the upside. The storage business is a strange business. I started out as a car/ truck mechanic in my dads shop at 12, learned that business, decided to learn construction when I was 20, learned both general building and general engineering by reading books and studying old plans that were finished projects. Finally the storage business, I still do cars and trucks at my home shop. Storage is a wide group of customers, RV is a segment, then boats, the cars for people who fly in, (across from airport) then show cars, motorcycles, and household. One person has five large units for his family camping gear when he comes to Yosemite. I posted some photos on my profile. I am a boondocker so I like the truck camper, I came on this site just to offer my mechanical knowledge to others. While I’m not familiar with all the models engines and other items I still can help.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #45

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I am fortunate to store at home thus no parking fee. I did pour a 24" x 36" slab with a cover that is open on ends and sides are almost to the ground. Cost was nearly $6,000. That would have paid for a lot of off site storage, Includes 50 amp service.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechoh View Post
You might want to try your county fairgrounds. Here in Ohio they usually offer storage for the winter months in the buildings. Won’t help for the summer months but just a thought.
Whats a county fairground ?????? No such thing here.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #47

We may be a little crazy, but we haul our TT from Wisconsin to SW Michigan to store for 6 months, indoors, heated, for $300. Total, not per month. It’s a great place and worth it to have that kind of place. It’s a pain to haul it, but there’s family there so get to visit for a weekend and that’s a plus.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Whats a county fairground ?????? No such thing here.
Most every county in Iowa has a county fair annually where animals are shown. They have lots of buildings, open and enclosed. They rent them out from late fall to spring when fair activity is over. Used to rent for $100 total for 6 months for enclosed storage. There would be assigned weekend when you put in and assigned weekend to take out. Grounds were locked as well as building.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
I read about 10,000 baby boomers turn 65 every day. That's a lot of retirees buying a lot of RVs that need a place to be parked. Prices are bound to climb.

Count myself one of the lucky ones that can keep it at the house.

Tuckerdog1
Good point. I guess we will see the same price increases at campgrounds as demand skyrockets. All this in conjunction with manufacturers squeezing out units in slapdash fashion, and then raising their own prices.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
My property is in the Sierra foothills near Yosemite. Home of the crooked mismanaged government. That is the downside, being in this rural county is the upside.
Came within a whisker of buying in Coursegold. Beautiful country up there. DW changed her mind. Oh well.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #51

I was paying about $180 per winter for indoor storage for my 20' RV. I recently purchased a new TT and decided to put up a carport in my backyard. The total cost was about $1900 (put it up myself) and now I keep it under cover when not in use. I don't even get taxed for it because my township considers it a temporary building because it has a gravel floor.
The carport is big enough to park my daughters popup and my Scamp (deer hunting camper) under also.
So far, I love it.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #52
B47

So now combineing the shortage of affordable RV storage places with the lack of RV sites,it sounds fairly grim for at least the short term .
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmatt7 View Post
I'm almost embarrassed to say this but we have 12x35 inside storage (with electricity and a concrete floor) for $450/year. It's not real close to us, but is at the lake where we keep our boat so we go there frequently anyway. We've kept a boat there for 25 years and I think the rates have only gone up once. We do realize how lucky we are.
That is a good deal
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was View Post
In central IL I pay $1 per linear foot for outside storage and $2.50 for inside storage during the winter. It’s 5 minutes from my home.
Any chance that you could share the name/number of where you are storing at in Illinois? Still trying to find a cheaper location starting Nov. 1 for my 30 footer.
KKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage