Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #41

We bought a set of corelle dishes/bowls years ago for the trailer. Nothing has broken yet. We put nothing between or under them...... The cabinet is full so no sliding around...... We do put child locks on the cabinets so that the doors do not come open accidently......... I agree 100 % keep it simple............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #42

Thanks guys for all of the advice. I really do appreciate it. We are taking out our Forester next weekend for the first time and are so excited. It was winterized by the dealer and I don't want to de-winterize it and then winterize it again, so we are going to "rough" it and just use the furnace, fride and stove and then the campground's showers and restrooms
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #43

Used heavy duty Malamine for years. DH He built me a plastic glass holder that held 4 juice and 4 tea glasses stacked. It consisted of dowel rods cut to the proper length on a finished board that had the anti skid attached. On a trip to IKEA, I found dinner plate, sandwich plate, and bowl holders that adjusted with a thumb screw on the bottom. When tightened down, your dishes would not move. Of course, everything was on anti-skid.

After many years, he convinced me that it's much more fun toasting marshmallows than being stuck inside washing dishes. Now I use paper plates & bowls and plastic cups. If you plan ahead and watch the sales, you can get really good deals on them - bogo's and there are usually coupons in the paper.

Please don't go off on me about the landfills - we do recycle when possible (and a lot of campgrounds have the bins located near the trash area) - or the paper plates are burned in the campfire.

It's really all about what YOU are comfortable with.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
We use corelle also ... My husband, who ate with paper plates and plastic utensils for 9 mths while serving in Afghanistan, won't even entertain the thought of eating with paper or plastic. Use the non-sliding rubber mats, spring loaded bars inside the cupboard doors ... Also sometimes use soft pillows inside to stop things from moving around ... Nothing broken yet ... Knock on wood

He deserves! Please thank him for all of us!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #45
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
We carry so many pots/pans, in a rear kitchen model that's been back and forth across the country twice, and noth'n broke....'course, there's no room for plates/cups!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
We use corelle also ... My husband, who ate with paper plates and plastic utensils for 9 mths while serving in Afghanistan, won't even entertain the thought of eating with paper or plastic. Use the non-sliding rubber mats, spring loaded bars inside the cupboard doors ... Also sometimes use soft pillows inside to stop things from moving around ... Nothing broken yet ... Knock on wood
I would like to Thank a Canadian Serviceman for his service !
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #47

We find if the cabinets don't open and allow things to fall nothing breaks. We put paper towels between plates. Stack glasses and cups with toweling then use velcro over the pulls to keep doors from opening. Ours is a rear kitchen model. Were it a side kitchen we probably would not be concerned about the doors opening in a braking situation.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #48
MCTroy

We have made several trips with my stoneware dishes stacked I the cupboard. I only put a couple of pillows around them so they don't bounce around. Never even had a chip in one.
And we like having a nice place setting to go with the wine glasses after a day of travel and sightseeing. Enjoy!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #49

Watch out for Corelle

I have Melamine dishes- storing everything tightly is the key to good packing. I keep some Corelle bowls and plates to use in the microwave as Melamine shouldn't be zapped. On several occasions when traveling on bumpy roads cupboards have popped open and the Corelle has disintegrated- shattered into zillions of sharp, tiny pieces. Google it- it's scary! I talked to the folks in our Corning store and one said this happens when Corelle hits Corelle- won't happen when a single piece is dropped. I still keep Corelle for the microwave, but only one plate, and I bungy our cupboards.
TheLutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #50

We also do the melamine dishes and decorative plastic glasses. All of our cabinets have a nice, felt lining, so nothing slips. We also keep paper plates and the red plastic cups to augment when we have grandkids, or other visitors and need to serve more than 4 or 6. We seem to keep collecting coffee mugs, including a few ceramic. so those are our main concern for breakage, but so far the only thing we've broken is a few of the cheap plastic tumblers from Walmart.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #51

We use the rubber shelf liner and I placed 1/4" dowel rods around the plates,bowls, and cups. I drilled a hole for each dowel and glued the rod into the shelf. The dowel is cut off just taller than the stack of plates, etc.. We haven't had any movement or breakage.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #52

Corelle dishes and plastic insulated tumblers.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #53
Site Team

Another Corelle fan. I surprised the DW and bought a new set for our MH. Even found some nice looking "unbreakable" wine glasses as well...
Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #54
Love My Sunseeker

I use this "grip rubber" shelf lining (I don't know what it's officially called....). You can get it in kitchen stores or home stores.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #55

I do the rubber shelf liners also. I found some plate and cup stackers at RV store. I also put extra dish towels inbetween dishes while driving too keep the rattling down. I like the noodle idea.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #56
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Beside using pool noodles, I went ahead and made new 'thick' shelves to eleminate the flexie flyers the factory used.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #57

First of all, no glassware. All cups are plastic and we use Corelle dishes. 3years be no breakage. Also use anti slip shelf liner, with thumbtacks in the corners
to hold it in place.

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #58
LA-Lower Alabama Resident

This is what I use

I use these for our glasses/cups. I bought a set of stackable thick plastic colored cups and they stack nicely in this on the shelf. http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6687-4...5KCYAY7YRN76VR

I use the Camco Stack a plate for our dinner and salad plates and the bowls fit nicely between them and they stay in place. I just stack them in with nothing between them (I use Corelle Dinnerware). http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43601-St...9VY2WDRV43YHWZ
mysticks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #59

I totally agree with you lbrjet regarding the landfill issue. We use plastic dishes, plastic cups, regular coffe cups, recycled pans and silverware. We wipe off all dishes and pans after meals and the washing job is not so bad. We got some anti-skid mesh from Fred Meyers stores and lined our shelves and made small squares for in between dishes and pans and no more rattling......
louiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #60

We put paper plates between the dishes and wrap glassware with rubber shelf liner. Would never use plastic and paper - it's porcelain and glass for us.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel