Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Storing household goods in storage unit

We will be storing our "stuff" for a year in a storage unit. Any ideas how to keep everyThing safe from packing it in, to mice, mildew, what locks are the best. Just need to have peace of mind .........please help
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

I suggest using a commercial storage / warehouse facility. Climate controlled. Not just a you-stor-it kind of place.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

Take photos of everything as you pack, in case you have an insurance claim.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016251RKS View Post
I suggest using a commercial storage / warehouse facility. Climate controlled. Not just a you-stor-it kind of place.
That is what we did. We paid for a truck to come "move" us. They took everything away in their truck and took it to a warehouse where they moved everything into containers. It wasn't as expensive as you'd think.

When we get done, they'll move us locally (included in the price). I assume I'll have to pay if it's out of the area. I'll find out soon as we are having everything brought to my in-laws in order for us to go through it and majorly purge it (hopefully down to just some furniture and kitchen items- but time will tell).
Old 04-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Many storage places have climate controlled units. They cost about twice what non climate controlled cost but it was worth it to us. We had our stuff in one for 15 months.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Call for a 'POD'..
Old 04-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Call for a 'POD'..
They're bloody expensive.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

When my Mother moved in to a nursing home I put her belongings in storage. They have been in a U-Haul climate controlled, multi-story, storage facility for fours years now, in Central Florida, with no issues....yet! Based on that type of facility my suggestions are:

1. Choose your storage facility very carefully. What type of security systems, fire control, video recording, and access type and hours do they have? Check with the local Police Department for the facilities "record"...you don't want a place with a lot of break ins on their record.

2. Buy insurance! The facilities insurance won't cover your belongs or will provide only minimal coverage. You need to document what you have, adding digital photos is good, and insure it. Check very closely for exceptions, most basic insurance will not cover high dollar valuables such as antiques, jewelry, expensive electronics, weapons, and other high value items. You may be able to cover them with separate policy "rider".

3. Climate Controlled is a "must have" to help prevent mold and mildew in humid areas. And a good idea anywhere else. Photos, documents and other papers do not fair well in non-climate controlled storage. Clothing runs a close second...

4. Stay off the ground floor. In the event of any water damage the first floor is the worst floor.

5. Stay off the floor in your unit. Put everything on shelving units that keep your "stuff" a couple of inches off the concrete floor. This will help protect against water damage to a degree.

6. Air flow. Allow for air flow around your "stuff". That will help minimize mold and mildew caused by over packing the unit.

7. Make sure the storage owner is doing pest control. Rest assured one of your neighbors will try to store food stuffs...

8. Locks. Any lock can be defeated or the thief just cuts off the hasp itself. So don't go over board. Purchase a good high security padlock and make extra keys.

9. Periodically check on your belongings. Heading off any problems early is the best way to prevent serious damage.

Hope this helps...

RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #9

Get rid of as much "stuff" as possible. You probably will find that you don't need or want a lot of things. And, kids and family want far less of our stuff than most of us think. We sold two homes and almost all the contents. Currently have a small, climate-controlled unit but; will be shrinking again soon. Good luck and happy travels.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #10

Thank you one and all...yep have sold 90% of "stuff". Just personal pic,books small amt of clothing, kitchen junk and book shelves and couple pieces of furniture. I just wanted to known if boxes or plastic container , which one are better.
Thanks again, u all rock......
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage