Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Storing household goods in storage unit

We will be storing our "stuff" for a year in a storage unit. Any ideas how to keep everyThing safe from packing it in, to mice, mildew, what locks are the best. Just need to have peace of mind .........please help
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

I suggest using a commercial storage / warehouse facility. Climate controlled. Not just a you-stor-it kind of place.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #3

Take photos of everything as you pack, in case you have an insurance claim.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016251RKS View Post
I suggest using a commercial storage / warehouse facility. Climate controlled. Not just a you-stor-it kind of place.
That is what we did. We paid for a truck to come "move" us. They took everything away in their truck and took it to a warehouse where they moved everything into containers. It wasn't as expensive as you'd think.

When we get done, they'll move us locally (included in the price). I assume I'll have to pay if it's out of the area. I'll find out soon as we are having everything brought to my in-laws in order for us to go through it and majorly purge it (hopefully down to just some furniture and kitchen items- but time will tell).
Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #5

Many storage places have climate controlled units. They cost about twice what non climate controlled cost but it was worth it to us. We had our stuff in one for 15 months.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Call for a 'POD'..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Call for a 'POD'..
They're bloody expensive.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
Site Team

When my Mother moved in to a nursing home I put her belongings in storage. They have been in a U-Haul climate controlled, multi-story, storage facility for fours years now, in Central Florida, with no issues....yet! Based on that type of facility my suggestions are:

1. Choose your storage facility very carefully. What type of security systems, fire control, video recording, and access type and hours do they have? Check with the local Police Department for the facilities "record"...you don't want a place with a lot of break ins on their record.

2. Buy insurance! The facilities insurance won't cover your belongs or will provide only minimal coverage. You need to document what you have, adding digital photos is good, and insure it. Check very closely for exceptions, most basic insurance will not cover high dollar valuables such as antiques, jewelry, expensive electronics, weapons, and other high value items. You may be able to cover them with separate policy "rider".

3. Climate Controlled is a "must have" to help prevent mold and mildew in humid areas. And a good idea anywhere else. Photos, documents and other papers do not fair well in non-climate controlled storage. Clothing runs a close second...

4. Stay off the ground floor. In the event of any water damage the first floor is the worst floor.

5. Stay off the floor in your unit. Put everything on shelving units that keep your "stuff" a couple of inches off the concrete floor. This will help protect against water damage to a degree.

6. Air flow. Allow for air flow around your "stuff". That will help minimize mold and mildew caused by over packing the unit.

7. Make sure the storage owner is doing pest control. Rest assured one of your neighbors will try to store food stuffs...

8. Locks. Any lock can be defeated or the thief just cuts off the hasp itself. So don't go over board. Purchase a good high security padlock and make extra keys.

9. Periodically check on your belongings. Heading off any problems early is the best way to prevent serious damage.

Hope this helps...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

Get rid of as much "stuff" as possible. You probably will find that you don't need or want a lot of things. And, kids and family want far less of our stuff than most of us think. We sold two homes and almost all the contents. Currently have a small, climate-controlled unit but; will be shrinking again soon. Good luck and happy travels.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #10

Thank you one and all...yep have sold 90% of "stuff". Just personal pic,books small amt of clothing, kitchen junk and book shelves and couple pieces of furniture. I just wanted to known if boxes or plastic container , which one are better.
Thanks again, u all rock......
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Old 04-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

We collect stuff all year for a huge garage sale and store it in a couple of barns. Some of the things we do are:

Linens go in sealed Rubbermaid rubs.

Lots of mothballs around the stacks of furniture.

Ultrasonic mice prevention (probably not practical in a commercial facility but we do have battery ones in a barn with no power)

Dryer sheets tucked into cushions of couches and chairs.

Books, kitchenware, pictures, tools, etc are stored in boxes and have not been damaged by mice.

The other storage suggestions seem reasonable as well.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
CDR USN Ret

We use:
www.uhaul.com/UBox/
Obtained it, packed it, locked it (we have only keys) and dropped it off in Eastern NC - they provide a trailer for us to haul it with. Had UHaul ship it and move it to an indoor climate controlled storage in Rapid City, SD. There it sits 'till we pick it up or want it moved to wherever.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
When my Mother moved in to a nursing home I put her belongings in storage. They have been in a U-Haul climate controlled, multi-story, storage facility for fours years now, in Central Florida, with no issues....yet! Based on that type of facility my suggestions are:

1. Choose your storage facility very carefully. What type of security systems, fire control, video recording, and access type and hours do they have? Check with the local Police Department for the facilities "record"...you don't want a place with a lot of break ins on their record.

2. Buy insurance! The facilities insurance won't cover your belongs or will provide only minimal coverage. You need to document what you have, adding digital photos is good, and insure it. Check very closely for exceptions, most basic insurance will not cover high dollar valuables such as antiques, jewelry, expensive electronics, weapons, and other high value items. You may be able to cover them with separate policy "rider".

3. Climate Controlled is a "must have" to help prevent mold and mildew in humid areas. And a good idea anywhere else. Photos, documents and other papers do not fair well in non-climate controlled storage. Clothing runs a close second...

4. Stay off the ground floor. In the event of any water damage the first floor is the worst floor.

5. Stay off the floor in your unit. Put everything on shelving units that keep your "stuff" a couple of inches off the concrete floor. This will help protect against water damage to a degree.

6. Air flow. Allow for air flow around your "stuff". That will help minimize mold and mildew caused by over packing the unit.

7. Make sure the storage owner is doing pest control. Rest assured one of your neighbors will try to store food stuffs...

8. Locks. Any lock can be defeated or the thief just cuts off the hasp itself. So don't go over board. Purchase a good high security padlock and make extra keys.

9. Periodically check on your belongings. Heading off any problems early is the best way to prevent serious damage.

Hope this helps...

Oh Man You Rock this, exactly what I was needing to know, 42 days and counting.😊😊😊😍

Cindi Mac
Old 04-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #14

If you use a mover, be sure you check them out inside and out. Do not use a cut rate mover. It is better to do it your self. I have moved 5 times long distant and only used a mover once and will never again. I have used local movers and they did much better. They can move it from y to x, but you have to watch them like a hawk. Like someone else said, take photo of everything before it goes on the truck and inspect everything as it comes off. Finding damage after it being in storage is to long to file a claim.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #15

I was in the Coast Guard 1980 search and rescue, Panama City Florida. Nice to meet you!!
liveoakfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #16

Cindi, I work for a professional moving company and I would like to point out a few things for you.

1. Climate Controlled does not mean air-conditioned. You need to ask specifically about what they offer or have them define what Climate Controlled means, I would assume that low humidity is your primary concern.

2. Most self-storage places may only offer minimal insurance coverages, and most do not offer any insurance for Acts of God coverage, professional movers in your area may. You need to ask what happens if your storage place gets flooded or flattened in a storm if you need that kind of protection. As stated before most will not cover high-value items either.

3. The problem you have with DIY storage and similar facilities is the lack of equipment to move the items and the heavy duty blankets to wrap your furniture. You will need to make the call to see if it is worth it to you to rent or buy these items for your stuff.

4. Some people have expounded at how "expensive" it is to hire a professional and that some are less than trustworthy. You need to decide what your time is worth and you need to be sure you are physically able to do the moving and stacking required. No matter what, if you injure yourself doing this, that will be much more expensive than hiring a professional!

If you do decide to use a mover, I suggest you check with your local Realtor Association for recommendations and check with your local BBB or similar for complaints. You can also check with the American Moving and Storage Association at: Moving.org - Trust Your Move to a ProMover , for referrals. Unfortunately, it looks like Utah does not require movers to be licensed and there isn't a State Moving Association so your consumer protections may be limited. I hope this helps, happy to answer any other questions you may have. BTW- Summer is the busiest time of the year for movers and storage facilities so act soon!
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #17

We're in the process of doing a similiar move. We're utilizing the U-haul U-boxes to store our stuff. (https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/) We're able to pick up the box, pack it and return it at your leisure. You can really get an amazing amount of stuff into each container and then they store it in their facility. (I don't believe that they are climate-controlled.)
jimc51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage