Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

Storing RV in Florida

We are seriously contemplating a move to the Sarasota/Bradenton area to be closer to our daughter, son-on-law and soon to be first grandchild. We currently live in Michigan and have on property covered storage with dedicated power. Very convenient.

By the looks of the real estate offerings in our price range, it appears I'll be looking at RV storage options off of my property. What do Floridians without "Home" storage do with your RV's when not using them? It's a 2013 Palomino Gazelle G215 Ultra light.

Our assumption is we will be living in a manufactured housing community and I've noticed not all seem to offer any options for storage.

Thanks for any assistance,
Steve
oldcomputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #2

Lots of RV parks in the area will have storage lots. Some are fence. Where we are at the RV Dealer here allows storage. All for a fee. Lol.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #3

Lots of storage lots as many RVers live in homes in FLorida and store here during the winter. Outside and covered options available. I store my RV uncovered for $60 per month, 24 hour gated access, no power, no water. (offer cash...generally lowers the lower price for a non branded lot.)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

Whatever you decide I personally would only get a storage area with coverage from the sun. Sun damage down here is the death to a RV exterior. Paint, decal, sealant of all seams and windows and doors, and the roof are all going to be damaged by the sun and heat. Exterior upkeep is a Must Do in this climate.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Whatever you decide I personally would only get a storage area with coverage from the sun. Sun damage down here is the death to a RV exterior. Paint, decal, sealant of all seams and windows and doors, and the roof are all going to be damaged by the sun and heat. Exterior upkeep is a Must Do in this climate.
Agree, the uv here is rough. My first camper was an rpod stored outdoors. By 3-4 years the decals were peeling and the gel coat was looking bad. I store our Solera covered and it looks like news at 2.5 years. I live in Sarasota / Bradenton near Lakewood Ranch. Here is a link to covered storage near here if that helps you. The prices unfortunately went up after it changed ownership recently.
Bradenton Storage Units - Sizes & Prices | Hide-Away Storage
Old 01-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

Thank you

I'm heading down tomorrow to start looking around for a place to live. I'm told spring is a better time to buy but thought looking around at different areas now would be a good idea and I get to see my parents and the kids too.

I feel better knowing that there are plenty of places to store this thing.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

While I agree that UV is serious in Florida, my coach is only here from October through April. Not too bad in uncovered storage for snowbirds.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #8

If stored outside, besides the sun beating down on it, there is 1. Humidity 2. Bugs, lots of bugs, and ants, 3. Sand
Choose the storage area wiisely.
tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
X2

We live in Lee County; most storage nearby us is outside, and it's easy to see the ravages of the sun within a year's time. Even RV covers don't last but a year. We opted for covered storage WITH a cover over our TT. Too big of an investment to let the sun destroy it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the place we keep ours is fully paved, they do an excellent job of keeping bugs and spiders to a minimum, and there are NO rodents there.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #10

Maybe I'll sell it before we leave Michigan and go to the beach. LOL. We will have to determine how much we will use it down there and if it's worth bringing with us. We used it most weekends from May-October up here but will have to determine if we will use it enough down there to justify the expense and the inconvenience of not having handy to load up for the trips.

Thank you everyone. I knew the sun was an issue but not quite as big as it is but didn't consider the bugs and ants.
2021 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
Old 01-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #11

My development in central fl has a storage lot included as many in the area do. As we don't go out as often as we were I cover it because I nose into my parking spot for the shade from the trees but it gets very grimy and hard to clean. Several adult communities in the Leesburg Clermont area include RV storage yards.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #12

We keep ours in Florida about 7 months of the year. For us a dehumidifier is a must. Left it for about 1 month and had signs of mold on the inside of the door around the door frame, since the use of the dehumidifier it has not shown any dampness and no mold. Without one it wont take long to get nasty.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
x2 !!! One side of our 2013 Flagstaff has seriously been degraded by the sun. We used the trailer in the January - March timeframe for several years, and we are now in our second winter just storing the trailer uncovered.

One source said we can restore the existing damaged finish, while another source said it would have to be painted. Sigh.

More damage from the sun: the plastic trim that slides into a track to cover fasteners holding panels together - shot and needing replacement. They are brittle and cracked.

RECOMMENDATION: purchase a cover if storing in the sun. Do it before damage starts.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #14

We spend 3 months in Sarasota -- love it during winter but would not be in Florida during summer. We store our 5er in coastal NC all summer. I keep Dry Ease in it during storage for humidity.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:31 PM   #15

We keep our trailer in an uncovered lot here in Gainesville. Depending where you live, your HOA may allow temporary parking (overnight) at your home. Even if not you probably know without looking what you need in that trailer that isn't already in it.

All we take out when returning from a trip is food, clothing and linens. We do that while parked in the street in front of the house, then immediately take it to the storage lot. Everything else is waiting when we pull up and load it again. Not really a big deal for loading but routine maintenance and mods can be a hassle if not in your back yard.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #16

I live here all year, when I store roof vents open a few inch's refridge and freezer open and a large bucket of Damp Rid on the table and I haven't any mil dew or mold in the 2yrs I've owned it.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
...when I store roof vents open a few inch's refridge and freezer open ...
+1
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #18

No doubt the sun is brutal here. If you use a cover the only ones that will hold up more than a year or two are made from Sunbrella material. I just ordered one from Calmark after going through two Goldline covers. I use a dehumidifier when I can, they don't work when the inside temp of the RV is above 90. I also found the humidity level to be a lot lower keeping it closed instead of opening vents and use a small fan.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #19

I once moved to be closer to my daughter and grandchildren. Was great while it lasted, then her husband got a job opportunity in California. Make sure you would want to live be there if she ups and moves.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #20

In our 4th year with our TT uncovered in our backyard here in FL ... DH keeps up with the roof, cleaning & sealing; we leave roof vents / frig/freezer open; not a drop of food left in trailer when home, covered tires & plenty of ant killer around the pad.

If you use it like we do (every month for a long weekend ... there are TONS of places to get away to down here) then the bugs & rodents, mold & mildew never gets a chance to set up shop.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote