Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #1

Stove top question

Oh no, I have more questions lol.

With the limited counter space in a trailer, I was wondering if any of the stove tops are worth considering? I have seen some folding units that appear to do double duty as a backsplah.

When cooking inside, do people put anything special on the walls around the stove, to protect them from grease and food splatter when cooking?

Many thanks in advance for all the help everyone has to offer. I still have many more questions as we go along.

Thanks,
Chuck
flumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #2

Our stove came with a metal folding cover, thats attached to the back of the stove. I for the most part leave the cover over the burners to provide that extra counter space. I do not have anything special on the walls to protect them, I do however use one of those grease screens that fit over the frying pan. They seem to work well to stop flying grease.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #3

We copied a mod that we saw on this forum, and it works great. It involves getting a cutting board of the proper size and gluing or screwing large plastic curtain rod holders to the bottom. They have to be placed carefully, but the rod holders hold the board perfectly in place on the stovetop. Best thing we ever did for more counter space. The guy who did it here posted pictures, which I think you could find if you like the idea. The factory stove cover for our unit would have been too flimsey for our needs. We found a bamboo cutting board at Wal-Mart that fit perfectly.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #4

There's a couple of manufacturers that make what's called a 'silent top'. We purchased one from our local RV supplier in oak. It's wonderful because it doesn't make any rattling noise and adds much needed counter space to our kitchen. I think most RV suppliers probably carry a version of it. Ours only cost $30.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #5

Splattering grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
. I do not have anything special on the walls to protect them, I do however use one of those grease screens that fit over the frying pan. They seem to work well to stop flying grease.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I retrofitted a piece of plexiglass on the side of the stovetop to thwart grease spatterings. It works well, cleans easily and looks factory installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	3574  
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #6

many thanks for all the suggestions
Chuck
Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
The Old Man

Here's the link to the thread showing the stove top cutting board mod...scroll down towards the bottom. I used closet pole brackets and lined them up by laying the grill on the bottom of the cutting board. You will probably need to trim the brackets a bit to fit the grill spacing. But it's a very easy mod and my wife loves it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mods-7116.html

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

Thanks Willis
Old 10-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #9

we just leaned a cutting board between the stove and wall to catch the splatter. we also have splatter screens to keep the greese in but my wife convinently forgets to use them.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #10

i kept forgetting to bring the splatter screens, but have them packed away now for this weekend