Old 04-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #11

The MOST important task ahead of you now is to have a complete and though Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) before you take delivery of your camper tomorrow.

There is a great travel trailer PDI checklist in the forum library here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=182

The PDI is literally the make or break difference between carefree camping and having "issues" on your maiden voyage. If you have a smartphone, don't be afraid to video the tech explaining how things operate. Take pictures and ask questions. Do not be surprised if your PDI takes several hours (it should, especially since this is your first camper).

DO NOT Skimp on your sewer hose - buy at least a Rhinoflex system and consider purchasing a Lippert WasteMaster (it is expensive though)

As others have said, get a set of X-Chocks for between your tires and a Andersen leveler to make leveling your trailer a easy process.

Post-purchase problems? Ask away!! Often, if you are in a jam, and post to the forums you will get an answer in 10-20 min!

Welcome to the RV Lifestyle, may you have many fun filled years ahead of you!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #12

thanks thanks thanks

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am printing out the lists you sent me to. While we have camped years in a pop up this will first with bathroom and other amennities. Husband was a car hauler so he has quite a bit of driving knowledge. I come from a hospital lab microbiologist background so I have the bathroom/disinfectant knowledge down. What I really want to learn is to have the husband/wife team doing a job together -- we only have been working on that for 30 years. Maybe we will get better at it. I truly am excited like a kid to have my husband have a great time enjoying doing not much of anything. He deserves just to chill out and blab. Thanks again for all the help and we will see you all on the road.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

Buy a power tong jack and a cordless drill to run the stabilizers up and down. Or better yet when you get to your campsite ask people for help most will help more than needed learn from others.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #14

I have a wood dowel that is the same length as the slide out depth. I use this to see if I have enough room to put the slides out with out hitting something.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #15

power tong jack ?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhpee View Post
power tong jack ?
Power tongue jack, he means. Given the size of your Flagstaff, it probably came with one.

How did your PDI go? Did you purchase from Middleton's RV, the Flagstaff dealer in Festus?
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for all the welcomes. Can't wait to meet everyone. I do have a couple of questions. Due to my husband's health, I may be the one to set the trailer, take down etc. I would love to have any suggestions as to a check list or general suggestions to make this a pleasant undertaking versus a not so pleasant time.
He will help as much as possible, but I know the majority will be on me. I am up for the challenge as we want to lay back and see more of the country before we can't do this at all.
We pick up our new unit tomorrow. I hope they give me a good idea of check list but if not, I figure I can do it. I worked at a job for 40 years, read recipes, raised kids so I can do it. I wouldn't mind any suggestions though.
See you on the road - somewhere.
We are in St. Louis area if any one close, would love to meet and chat.
Karen and Tom
May 21st thru May 30th, We are going to Eldon Hazlet State park outside of Carlyle IL, going with friends and our wives(no distinction there). You can ask any campground host there where "Wobbles" may be found or if a new host is working, ask them to ask the older hosts (Larry is the oldest), they will point you to us. The hosts have been excellent there.

You would be most welcome to come ask for setup and take down assistance plus questions, and if you think you need a hand with something please ask.

This forum is the best place to seek information.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Power tongue jack, he means. Given the size of your Flagstaff, it probably came with one.

How did your PDI go? Did you purchase from Middleton's RV, the Flagstaff dealer in Festus?
Yes it came with one. Didn't know that is what is was called. We purchased from Happy Trails RV center in Lebanon Missouri. Came across exact model I wanted and very nice people.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #19

I am going to get reservations at Eldon - Do you have any suggestions as to site area or are they all good. I would enjoy the opportunity for a quiet q and a. My neighbor thinks I am an idiot so he comes and tells me how stupid the dealer was and I am.. I don't know a lot but I did drive it home, park it and set it up. Practiced with black water connection. I do have questions regarding electric, lp, or battery. If you wouldn't mind, We would love to take you up on your offer of helping. I will call park tomorrow for reservations after the 21. We have graduation to be at that day so will come after that weekend. Thanks again. tom and karen
Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #20

Quote:
I am going to get reservations at Eldon - Do you have any suggestions as to site area or are they all good. I would enjoy the opportunity for a quiet q and a. My neighbor thinks I am an idiot so he comes and tells me how stupid the dealer was and I am.. I don't know a lot but I did drive it home, park it and set it up. Practiced with black water connection. I do have questions regarding electric, lp, or battery. If you wouldn't mind, We would love to take you up on your offer of helping. I will call park tomorrow for reservations after the 21. We have graduation to be at that day so will come after that weekend. Thanks again. tom and karen
We will be in the campground late afternoon on the 20th thru the 29th. All of the reservation sites are nice. When you arrive and check in with the host, please ask the host on duty to contact "Larry or Trish", hosts that are not stationed in the reserved site area. We will be there in minutes to help you get parked and setup.

I offer the parking help as a couple, (not all) of the sites have ditches on each side. I do not remember which ones (23 thru 30) not sure. Could be a skill test.

We would be happy to share with you our experiences both good and bad, so you can make your own choices with some insight.

I think your neighbor's/any opinion is worthless if they cannot explain why something is wrong other than just tell you that you are wrong.

Safe travels...

PS. If you have to buy stuff for the camper, if you can, take it from the house and buy new for the house. The wife got those high-end pots and pans she wanted...

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote