Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #21

Congratulations on your new rig and expanded camping adventures! Everyone has offered some lists of varying precision on how they go about setting up and tearing down a campsite. What is important is to develop your own pattern of doing things arrival and departure wise and then "Own" the process. Do not deviate from your pattern of doing things. This way everything will become of force of habit. If after your done on each leg you want to use a check list to review, that's fine. I don't have a pull behind but I think those that do will point out the importance of leveling and "choking" the tires before un-hitching as perhaps the most important first steps upon arriving at a campsite and the last thing to do when leaving. Many folks use the memory strips attached to the steering wheel of the tow vehicle for things like the TV antenna, folding in steps, awnings and the like. I use bright red sash's hanging from the antenna crank and tied to the awning arms as a reminder to take down the antenna and un-lock the awning tension locks before retracting the awning. Good luck and enjoy the many awesome adventures you and your husband will have in your beautiful new rig. Before long, you'll be offering advice on how to do things to the next newbie on this forum.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Teach your husband the steps you take and have him double check things. Always walk around rig before leaving any where look up, down, and even under. You can use reminders like slap bracelets or remove before flight flags on the steering wheel for the things most likely to forget wheel chocks or t.v. anntena. I lay the wheel chock wrench on the floor of truck to remind me of them.

I would not open grey tank valve until it's full. So you may use that water to flush hose after dumping black tank.
Correct. You don't want to open any wastewater valves until it's necessary. Like others have said, use search and there's lots of check lists. Customize to fit your needs.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #23

We are getting ready to make reservations for Eldon. It seems to be quite empty.. Is that normal? Are all sites back in -- good practice for me. No water or sewer? Dump stations? Good practice again. RV dealer gave me a starter kit for dump. Hose, connector to TT, paper, deoderizer. Do I need a special end for the dump station end? Thanks.
krhpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhpee View Post
RV dealer gave me a starter kit for dump. Hose, connector to TT, paper, deoderizer. Do I need a special end for the dump station end? Thanks.
For the dump station you don't need any special connection. For sewer sites you typically need a threaded connection though.

And one thing about those "free" starter kits. The sewer hose is typically fairly short and made of thin material. The water hose is also going to be very short. We still carry the short water hose because its nice when the water hookup is close enough to reach. But we also carry a 25 footer for the places where the hookup is farther away.

Same thing with the sewer hose. I use the short one from the dealer at the dump station because its easier to rinse out than a long one. But for sewer sites its too short and it doesn't have a threaded connection.

Enjoy your trip!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #25

Change of plans. We will not be heading to Illinois in May for your boot camp. I do thank you for the offer and was seriously planning to be there but -- we were offered a workkamper job in Montana at a small campground at the beginning of the Missouri River. We are taking this is opportunity to make memories with this adventure. I friend who travel with a 35 footer is going to make sure we are all hooked up correctly and help us with questions we have. Figured we would get help at the other end as with you, campers are always willing to help/ We are going to be in Montana until the end of September. I will keep up with you all on these forums. Thanks again for offering the help
krhpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #26

Enjoy your travels and be safe.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote