Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

Suggestions

Thanks for all the welcomes. Can't wait to meet everyone. I do have a couple of questions. Due to my husband's health, I may be the one to set the trailer, take down etc. I would love to have any suggestions as to a check list or general suggestions to make this a pleasant undertaking versus a not so pleasant time.
He will help as much as possible, but I know the majority will be on me. I am up for the challenge as we want to lay back and see more of the country before we can't do this at all.
We pick up our new unit tomorrow. I hope they give me a good idea of check list but if not, I figure I can do it. I worked at a job for 40 years, read recipes, raised kids so I can do it. I wouldn't mind any suggestions though.
See you on the road - somewhere.
We are in St. Louis area if any one close, would love to meet and chat.
Karen and Tom

Old 04-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

Well that's quite a list, But it get easier with practice.
To start find your site get RV where you want it, make sure slides clear any obstacles. Check to be sure you can reach water sewer electric. Then check for level side to side. Do this first while still hooked up so you can pull foward and use wood or "Lego" blocks to adjust.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

When you're home, do a dry run set up in your own yard. Then scribble a list of things that makes sense to you. If you have a neighbor who is also an RVer, i'm sure he would gladly assist and give you a few tips. Enjoy.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Prime Member

Here is my list of what I do. This assumes I’m at a campground with full hookups.

1. Try to place the trailer in as level of a spot as possible within 10’ of the hookups also making sure there is room to extend the slide outs.

2. Check how level the camper is by putting a carpenter’s level on the interior floor. I’ll use leveling blocks as necessary to level it out.

3. Unhitch the truck from the trailer and use the tongue jack to level the camper front to back.

4. Lower the leveling jacks.

5. Chock the tires.

6. Open the slide outs.

7. Before connecting power, use a voltmeter to measure the power coming out just to be safe.

8. If all measures ok, connect power through a surge suppressor.

9. Spray down the water connection with Lysol to disinfect it.

10. Connect water in the following order: 2 way water valve, pressure regulator, water filter, drinking water hose, 90 degree fitting, camper.

11. Connect sewer hose and open the gray valve ONLY.

12. Connect cable tv.

13. Open awning.

14. Setup outside amenities such as chairs and tables

15. Enjoy.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Suggestions

Get a good tire chock like the BAL chock that you put on the ground between the tires. It chocks the tires so the trailer can't move forwards or backwards. I use one on both sides, although not necessary on level sites. Chocking the the tires should be the first thing you do after leveling the trailer and unchocking only after completely hitching up. Always check your trailer lights just before you leave. As you are pulling out of the campground slide your brake lever to make sure your trailer brakes are working. Remember to secure the break away cable and put the TV antenna down. Secure items in your fridge and close your vent hatches. Check for obstructions before moving slides in or out. We carry a 25 foot 30 amp extension cord, some sewer hose extenders and 50 feet of water hose. I like to place the trailer where I want it rather than having placement controlled by utility hookups. Make your own checklist and use it faithfully.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post

3. Unhitch the truck from the trailer and use the tongue jack to level the camper front to back.

5. Chock the tires.
Isn't step 5 a little late? Granted the trailer shouldn't roll if you unhook on level ground, but I think the general consensus is chock the wheels before you unhook and keep them chocked until after you are hitched.

But regardless, the earlier advice to practice at home is good advice. "driveway camping" lets you figure out things in a relaxed setting. Everybody develops there own process - some people use a formal written checklist, some people have assigned duties for each person, some people wing it. You'll figure out your own system - but practice a few times so you don't miss any steps.

And with backing the trailer and getting parked - again practice at home or in a large parking lot with a few cones. That way the driver and the spotter figure out how to communicate and get used to how to maneuver. Nothing like trying to learn how to get parked in tight campground with an audience! We've probably all been there in some manner or another (and some of us will probably even admit to it...)

We've all made mistakes - that's part of the learning curve but you can minimize them by learning from others here and a little practice.

Enjoy your new adventures!

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Isn't step 5 a little late? Granted the trailer shouldn't roll if you unhook on level ground, but I think the general consensus is chock the wheels before you unhook and keep them chocked until after you are hitched.
You are correct. I do chock the tires first, I just listed it a bit out of order.

My bad.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Don't Camp Enough

If you will do a search for arrival/departure lists in the header above, you will find a lot of information posted about this over the last several years.
You can take from it what applies to you.
Best of luck and have fun!

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #9

If you have a smart phone or, better yet, a tablet, there is an app called RVChecklist. It lists everything you should do before and after camping and allows you to customize it to your specific needs. You can check off tasks when you complete them, and they'll turn from red to greet. It's a really nifty tool that we use everytime for planning, plus setup and takedown. It does a great job of keeping us from forgetting important details.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #10

Teach your husband the steps you take and have him double check things. Always walk around rig before leaving any where look up, down, and even under. You can use reminders like slap bracelets or remove before flight flags on the steering wheel for the things most likely to forget wheel chocks or t.v. anntena. I lay the wheel chock wrench on the floor of truck to remind me of them.

I would not open grey tank valve until it's full. So you may use that water to flush hose after dumping black tank.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote