Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Suggestions for California to ohio route

I will be leaving Riverside California on april 3rd. I was planning on taking I 40 and then spending a few days in Williams Arizona. Now i am concerned about the weather due to high elivations if i will run into snow. Any s uggestions or should i t take I 10 instead. I have a 28 foot FR3, towing a suv on a flat trailer ? Suggestions ?
philv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #2

Can't really help with your concern. But for me I would go the Northern route and check the weather each day for where I planned to be the next day. If bad weather is expected, head South then. On a side note, could you fill your FR3 with carne asada and machaca for us? I miss the food from SoCal but not much else. Lol
Old 03-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #3

I agree Buck 1032.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

never sure of weather conditions, either way might be snow, I am planning to go in may to NC. in may, I want to head by way of Louisiana, it is all about what you want to see and how long you have to travel, if in no hurry just watch the weather and take it slow and easy,,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not sure why you want to come to Ohio, most of us will be in FL at that time.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

Thanks hammer55
Old 03-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

Since Spring sprung earlier then usual this year, I personally don't think you will have a problem with bad weather. Maybe wind, but that's about it. We were in Williams the end of February and weather was perfect. Happy travels!
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

Okay thanks Melody.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
RetiredRVer

We just arrived at our home in Ohio after spending the last 2 1/2 months in Phoenix, AZ. We returned home via Interstates 70 and 80. We went up thru northern AZ, as we wanted to see Monument valley, and Arches NP. Although we normally take IS 40 thru to Oklahoma City, then IS 44 to St Louis, and finally IS 70 to Ohio....we elected to go further north to see the previously mentioned sights. We were a little concerned about weather issues as well, but encountered none! Lots of snow still on the ground in the Colorado Rockies, but the roads were dry. What a beautiful sight seeing the skiers in Vail going down the slopes! This time of year can still bring heavy snows to the Rockies, but the weather will warm up in 24 hours and bring good driving conditions back quickly. We have been going to Phoenix for quite a long time via the Interstate 40 route, and rarely encounter weather problems this time of year. Even if you do, just pull into a campground and sit for a day....the conditions improve quickly this time of year. Whatever route you choose, have a safe and enjoyable trip!
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #10

Thanks checkmate 99 feel better after hearing from you and Melody. Looking forward to the trip home. Will stop along the way and taking our time. No hurry to get home. Retirement is great so far. Stay safe.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #11

We make that trip four times a year. I80 is the short route to/from Northern California but since you're already at I10, there's little difference in mileage between the routes. We usually make one on I80 and three on I10 because I've been staying with friends in NM's boot heel area.

I'd recommend you check maps for attractions you'd like to visit and choose a route that lets you see the ones of greatest interest to you. If you go through Tucson, try to make plans to stay there a day and visit the mirror lab at the university. It's the location where all of the mirrors for the next generation of giant telescopes are being made. If you're a member of a local museum, you may also have reciprocal visiting privileges and can get the tour for free.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

Thanks pmsherman, probably go I 40 since alot we want to see along i 40.

Tags
california, ohio