Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #1

Sunseeker Battery Box under step

I know somewhere there should be an answer to my question,,, but I have not found it ??? We have sealed batteries on our Sunseeker 2500TS,,, My question is should the box,,, under the step be vented,,, or can it be 100% air tight ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

I am no expert but I believe sealed batteries don't have to be vented. But isn't your battery box vented from the factory? I am pretty sure mine is.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I am no expert but I believe sealed batteries don't have to be vented. But isn't your battery box vented from the factory? I am pretty sure mine is.
No I see no vents,,, it looks as if FR tried to close all openings with spray foam,,, from underneath,,, when I moved one of the batteries the foam stuck to the battery,,, and left a pretty good size opening,,, the other 2 places where cables come & go are almost 100% closed !!! I was planning to use spray form and completely close them all up,,, then I got to wondering about ventilation ???
Thanks for your reply gmacklem !!!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #4

I thought I had a photo but I can't find it.....

Crawl under your rig and look at the back side of the top step. There should be a round hole about an inch or inch and a half in diameter there. It's hard to see when looking in the battery box under the step unless you lean way over and look down behind the batteries with a flashlight.

That's the good news, there should be ventilation there. The bad news is that the hole is large enough for small rodents, chipmunks, snakes, spiders and other assorted creepy crawlers to get into the battery compartment. Imagine your surprise when you open the battery compartment/step and something alive jumps out at you....or worse yet, lies in wait to nibble on you when you stick your hand in there.

After I discovered the ventilation hole I cut a piece of metal window screen and glued it in place over the outside of it to keep unwanted hitchhikers out.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
I thought I had a photo but I can't find it.....

Crawl under your rig and look at the back side of the top step. There should be a round hole about an inch or inch and a half in diameter there. It's hard to see when looking in the battery box under the step unless you lean way over and look down behind the batteries with a flashlight.

That's the good news, there should be ventilation there. The bad news is that the hole is large enough for small rodents, chipmunks, snakes, spiders and other assorted creepy crawlers to get into the battery compartment. Imagine your surprise when you open the battery compartment/step and something alive jumps out at you....or worse yet, lies in wait to nibble on you when you stick your hand in there.

After I discovered the ventilation hole I cut a piece of metal window screen and glued it in place over the outside of it to keep unwanted hitchhikers out.
I will take a look,,, if it ever stops raining !!!
I sure did not see the hole you are talking about !!!
Critter proofing that hole is a Great Idea !!!
Thanks Fred !!!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

I just discovered the same small hole behind my batteries too. Will be adding the screen too. I think it is important to vent but maintain a good seal so nothing enters the camper.

My battery box is showing some light rust. May repaint and see if I can fit plastic battery boxes.

Forester 2451s
Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #7

Here are some safety procedures for sealed lead acid batteries. It appears ventilation would be necessary if overcharging the batteries.
What are the Health & Safety Guidelines for handling Sealed Lead Acid Batteries?

We also have a 2500TS and there is a large hole on the inside wall of the battery box. When I removed the batteries for winterizing, I placed a brick there to stop the critters.

While you have the compartment clear, it might be good to coat it with spray-on bed liner to protect the metal box. I used Rustoleum spray on bed liner paint from Walmart. Last year, I noticed a rust spot on the ground about where the front of the battery box would be. My first thought was that it was coming off the roof, but then realized it was dripping from underneath. I have undercoated and used bed liner paint on the entire underneath structure of the 2500TS. It will be interesting to see if it stopped the rust spot wherever it's coming from.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

Definitely need ventilation...these are wet cell Valve Regulated Batteries and they are designed to recycle most but not all hydrogen...and will vent a lot in an overcharge or shorted situation. Do not seal tight.
Even true AGM's need a little ventilation.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I know somewhere there should be an answer to my question,,, but I have not found it ??? We have sealed batteries on our Sunseeker 2500TS,,, My question is should the box,,, under the step be vented,,, or can it be 100% air tight ???
I have two of those holes mentioned above in my battery box. I was going to seal them up but realized they may be important for ventilation.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #10

Bed Liner Paint sounds like a Great idea !!!
Thanks guys for your replies,,, I was guessing there should be some kind of ventilation even thow it looked like FR had tried to completely seal box !!! I will be checking today for the holes you speak of !!!
THANKS !!! Roger...
Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #11

I was able to take a very good look @ the Battery Box yesterday !!!
There are no holes near the top of the box like has been mentioned !!!
There are 3 holes,,, all for cables,,, and all 3 have been filled with spray foam ???
Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I was able to take a very good look @ the Battery Box yesterday !!!
There are no holes near the top of the box like has been mentioned !!!
There are 3 holes,,, all for cables,,, and all 3 have been filled with spray foam ???
The two holes I mentioned do not have cables in them. The cables run elsewhere.

I had one battery in the box when I noticed the holes. Now I have two batteries and my view is blocked.

If the rain ever stops I will see if I can take a photo if the holes are visible. I haven't looked in the bix since my batteries were installed.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
The two holes I mentioned do not have cables in them. The cables run elsewhere.

I had one battery in the box when I noticed the holes. Now I have two batteries and my view is blocked.

If the rain ever stops I will see if I can take a photo if the holes are visible. I haven't looked in the bix since my batteries were installed.
Our Battery Box has no such holes !!!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #14

Sorry for the delay but I couldn't get a good photo.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Sorry for the delay but I couldn't get a good photo.
That does not surprise me,,, tough spot !!!
All I know is our battery box has no such holes ???
As I said the only holes have cables run thru them,,,
No vents ???

Tags
battery, sunseeker