Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #1

Supporting an Electric Awning Question

Hello All,

Gotta question about the electric awning on my VLite 21WRS. I would like to be able to "anchor" or tie down my awning to protect it from slight wind gusts so that I can string some awning lights up for enjoyment. I have read where there are people completely opposed to this. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to tie the awning out like a manual awning? It doesn't have the rain or wind sensors on it so there would not be any automated retraction. I understand that if there is a chance of thunderstorms that I would more than likely take the lights down and retract the awning but for the days that there may be infrequent wind gusts it would be nice to have that sense of comfort knowing that the awning is protected from it. I just hate the thought of putting lights up close to dark, enjoy them for a bit, take the lights down before calling it a night, and then retract the awning each day.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I wouldn't be putting alot of stress on the awning since I would be using straps and springs at the in ground anchors.

Hopefully I have posted this question in the correct forum.

Thanks in advance
Scott
slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #2

Read this thread. Some good ideas in there.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t-20167-5.html
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #3

I always tie mine down, I just tie a rope on each end and connect it to a dog tie out that screws into the ground. Now with that said if there is big storm coming I will roll it up, but I have not done that yet and I have been doing it for years.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post

Thanks for the link, I did perform a search prior to submitting my question but could not find anything about it (maybe I'm doing it wrong or just simply got too impatient). Thanks again for that link, it has some good info it.

Scott
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I always tie mine down, I just tie a rope on each end and connect it to a dog tie out that screws into the ground. Now with that said if there is big storm coming I will roll it up, but I have not done that yet and I have been doing it for years.

That sounds alot like what I have done with a manual awning, only I use motorcycle tie downs (non-ratching type) and a couple of springs connected to the dog tie outs. Gives it a bit of flex when needed to not be so rigid. I just wasn't sure if I would be causing any issues by using this method on a electric awning.

Thanks for the insite though.

Scott
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Here is what I did, as I didn't want to have something else to store. There are other ways to make removable poles & saddles. Simpliest ones are to use pvc parts which are shown on the thread reference.

Forest River Forums - dunnnc's Album: Power Awning Tie Down (Self Storing)
Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post

Slogan,

Make sure you go to this link as it was contained within the link provided above. I want to build this for our power awning.

power awing tie down - Power Awning Tie Down System
vlite2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning