Old 05-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #11

Howie, Thanks. I learned something.

fonzie, Thanks for the info. The one unit looks to be external and by the time you cable and pad lock the thing down, you may as well get the interior mount unit. I guess? Hope it comes with instructions. When I do electrical work I make all the connections and then throw the switch. No pops, arcs or odors? I'm good.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

I just viewed the install video for the EMS-HW30C from PI.
Does not look like a major thing to install. Pretty straight up, line in,line out.
I think I will go with that one.
And I won't have to worry about it disappearing when I leave the TT.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #13

Around the first of the year, i really began reviewing the different surge/ems systems on the market. When the name of one particular manufacturer keeps coming up, there is a reason. About the same time, I took a look at the cost of just a few of the electrical/electronic control systems on my coach, and quickly concluded that having a good ems system was a little like having insurance.

Also, considering that a number of campgrounds dont always have the most experienced electricians doing their work, and (especially for a 50 amp rv) that all it takes is one campground pedestal with an open neutral, or one guy who takes a quick look at a 30 amp receptacle and thinks its for 220 vac, and then lots of your rv components get smoked.

Then your rv gets to live outside at your favorite dealer waiting on insurance approval and parts for six months....ugh

So,...having said all that, i bit the bullet and ordered a Progressive Industries HW50C and permanently wired it in. It came with a remote display and its always looking at line voltage, amperage draw, frequency, and status. If there is a power failure, it will start a timer that allows the air conditioner compressor to equalize pressures before turning power back on. An open neutral for a 50 amp rv virtually guarantees failures on a large scale, but the PI u it will recognize that and shut power off until its corrected.

So, the PI unit began looking like more of a bargain when considering all it does. I think they shoukd be standard equipment on 50 amp systems, or at least an option. Although, I would prefer to install and wire it myself.

Good luck whatever you decide, but i highly reccommend the PI unit.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #14

Another vote for Progressive Industries.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #15

I also bought a Progressive for our current 50 amp 5er the hardest part was deciding between a external one and built in one. After I took a bad hit and the Progressive did it job but quite working I was glad to have a external one. Since it was 2nd day of trip I made a quick run to Camping World and picked up a Surge Guard to finish our trip with. Now I carry the Surge Guard as backup. Progressive took care of it without a problem but it does take time and that time I would of been without surge protection.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #16

Is this it?

We are supposed to be taking delivery of our new Forester 3051 this week. Is this the surge protector that I want?

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive

And does it just get plugged into the box and then I plug the motorhome into the protector? Newbie...can you tell? Have camped before but I didn't handle the outside "stuff".

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandb26 View Post
We are supposed to be taking delivery of our new Forester 3051 this week. Is this the surge protector that I want?

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive

And does it just get plugged into the box and then I plug the motorhome into the protector? Newbie...can you tell? Have camped before but I didn't handle the outside "stuff".

Thanks!
As long as your Forester is 30 AMP that one will work fine. Make sure campground pedestal breaker is off, plug the protector into pedestal and turn on breaker. Let the protector go thru the initial setup and look at the LED display for any problems. If all is good the display will read E O (errors none). Turn off breaker, plug motorhome plug into protector and turn on breaker again. Instructions are on page 4 and error codes are on page 5 of operation manual. Here's a link to the manual:http://media.wix.com/ugd/439d5a_e216...4c47e24123.pdf