Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Surge Protector

My story:

Electricity is not my thing. Especially with a new RV.
I recently purchased a new Flagstaff 27 BEWS. (30 amp service system)
I connected to an electrical box (30 amp plug) at the RV campsite next to the dealer for my PDI. The breakers kept tripping with some of the TT systems running, including the AC.
One of the service techs near the site checked the problem and went to the parts dept. and returned with a "dog bone" that plugged into the 50 amp receptacle and reduced the amps to 30. All was good with power to the TT after that.

My question:

Checking the "dog bone" it shows no ability to prevent power surges or low voltage shut-off, just lighted ends show current flow. Looking at available surge protectors online, I find everything from $55 to $255 and up that offer surge protection. I am starting to think this item falls into the "you get what you pay for" category. What is a good unit for my TT? Of course wanting to save a buck like anyone else, but understand this is not something that should go to the lowest bidder.

Any help or ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Site Team

You will get a lot of answers, but the majority of the members will recommend the Progressive Industries products. They are a little more money, but have two advantages.

1. Protect against more problems than most.
2, Have a lifetime warranty.

#2 is very important as should a major surge occur, the device will most likely be rendered inoperable as part of it protection mechanism. If you have a PI product, you simply call them and they will replace it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

X2 on Progressive Industries. Best warranty, 24 hour help if needed. First thing I bought after we purchased our rig,
Price may seem high, but it is much much less than appliances and control boards that may blow out.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #4

X3 on Progressive Industries Also next thing to buy is TPMS. That way piece of mind riding down the road and at the campground

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #5

There is a major difference between a "surge protector" and the units that pre-check the electrical source before passing it to the RV and then continually monitor the electric and provides over/under voltage surge protection. The more expensive $250+- units are worth it for me.
We have the Surge Guard unit and I bought the $40+- protection coverage at CW. I have replaced twice and simply paid another $40 to extend protection plan.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

tpms ?

and how to decide which protecter that they offer should I purchase?
krhpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #7

I'm guessing TPMS is Temporary Power Monitoring System. Like I said electricity is not my thing. All I know for sure it is safer when it is off, the kicker? Knowing when it' off.

Anyway, is this a suitable unit for my TT?

Robot Check

It seems to meet the specs (PI product)and the price is not too bad.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Surge Protector

TPMS
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Peace of mind on the road. Keeps you informed about tire pressure and temperature. Sounds alarm if you have a sudden lose of pressure, low pressure, over pressure, or over temp condition. I have the EEZRV products unit.
Paul

Paul
Old 05-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

These two 30 amps EMS are the most recommended units in this forum.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
I'm guessing TPMS is Temporary Power Monitoring System. Like I said electricity is not my thing. All I know for sure it is safer when it is off, the kicker? Knowing when it' off.

Anyway, is this a suitable unit for my TT?

Robot Check

It seems to meet the specs (PI product)and the price is not too bad.

Not sure if this unit is giving you full protection or not.

EMS = Electrical Management System and generally cost more than this.
Paul

Paul
Old 05-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #11

Howie, Thanks. I learned something.

fonzie, Thanks for the info. The one unit looks to be external and by the time you cable and pad lock the thing down, you may as well get the interior mount unit. I guess? Hope it comes with instructions. When I do electrical work I make all the connections and then throw the switch. No pops, arcs or odors? I'm good.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #12

I just viewed the install video for the EMS-HW30C from PI.
Does not look like a major thing to install. Pretty straight up, line in,line out.
I think I will go with that one.
And I won't have to worry about it disappearing when I leave the TT.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #13

Around the first of the year, i really began reviewing the different surge/ems systems on the market. When the name of one particular manufacturer keeps coming up, there is a reason. About the same time, I took a look at the cost of just a few of the electrical/electronic control systems on my coach, and quickly concluded that having a good ems system was a little like having insurance.

Also, considering that a number of campgrounds dont always have the most experienced electricians doing their work, and (especially for a 50 amp rv) that all it takes is one campground pedestal with an open neutral, or one guy who takes a quick look at a 30 amp receptacle and thinks its for 220 vac, and then lots of your rv components get smoked.

Then your rv gets to live outside at your favorite dealer waiting on insurance approval and parts for six months....ugh

So,...having said all that, i bit the bullet and ordered a Progressive Industries HW50C and permanently wired it in. It came with a remote display and its always looking at line voltage, amperage draw, frequency, and status. If there is a power failure, it will start a timer that allows the air conditioner compressor to equalize pressures before turning power back on. An open neutral for a 50 amp rv virtually guarantees failures on a large scale, but the PI u it will recognize that and shut power off until its corrected.

So, the PI unit began looking like more of a bargain when considering all it does. I think they shoukd be standard equipment on 50 amp systems, or at least an option. Although, I would prefer to install and wire it myself.

Good luck whatever you decide, but i highly reccommend the PI unit.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

Another vote for Progressive Industries.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #15

I also bought a Progressive for our current 50 amp 5er the hardest part was deciding between a external one and built in one. After I took a bad hit and the Progressive did it job but quite working I was glad to have a external one. Since it was 2nd day of trip I made a quick run to Camping World and picked up a Surge Guard to finish our trip with. Now I carry the Surge Guard as backup. Progressive took care of it without a problem but it does take time and that time I would of been without surge protection.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #16

Is this it?

We are supposed to be taking delivery of our new Forester 3051 this week. Is this the surge protector that I want?

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive

And does it just get plugged into the box and then I plug the motorhome into the protector? Newbie...can you tell? Have camped before but I didn't handle the outside "stuff".

Thanks!
gandb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandb26 View Post
We are supposed to be taking delivery of our new Forester 3051 this week. Is this the surge protector that I want?

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive

And does it just get plugged into the box and then I plug the motorhome into the protector? Newbie...can you tell? Have camped before but I didn't handle the outside "stuff".

Thanks!
As long as your Forester is 30 AMP that one will work fine. Make sure campground pedestal breaker is off, plug the protector into pedestal and turn on breaker. Let the protector go thru the initial setup and look at the LED display for any problems. If all is good the display will read E O (errors none). Turn off breaker, plug motorhome plug into protector and turn on breaker again. Instructions are on page 4 and error codes are on page 5 of operation manual. Here's a link to the manual:http://media.wix.com/ugd/439d5a_e216...4c47e24123.pdf
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote